"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Living in Florida, Orlando area (Apopka)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Note to self...

Stay out of South Apopka.

Some interesting notes here, thanks all. I know many business ventures fail, this is a current, running business. The owner wants out, to retire. And my Bro currently works for him. So, (hopefully) he knows a bit about the workings. I know he is thinking a lot with his heart now, that is something we have to discuss.

We'll have to see when the dude wants out. the offer is already there, it's just a matter of when.

Thanks again.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmac00333
First thing you should do is lose the Urban Meyer quote. Orlando is Gator country, unfortunately. It's like dissing Bob Feller. Hey, doesn't bother ME, I'm an FSU fan, just saying...
Funny thing is, I'm a Buckeye fan and Urb is now coach for The Bucks!

Being a Buckeye in Gator country will probably get me in more shyt than anything!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Jeffs386
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I moved to Daytona Beach 17 years ago from upstate NY and would never consider moving back up north,the people who were born here do not appreciate it enough its really a great place to live in my opinion,but then again it seems like everyone wants to live anywhere other than where they actually live.
yes there is crime here and I4 sucks ***, but overall its a decent place and there are always things to do

Old 05-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The wife and I moved from Ohio have lived in the Phoenix area 8 yrs. She is tired of all the BS about the border. She's a RN, I'm a machinist with a background in the boat business and is what I'd like to get back into.
The pros to relocating to FL is. 1/2 the distance to Ohio still have 2 boys there and her family.
Her family also has two condos in New Smyrna Beach.
My parents now passed, lived in Pinellas Park.
So based on what we have experienced we are thinking about the Sarasota area.
Housing from what I've seen is cheaper. Weather should be same FL wet heat AZ dry heat= it's still F ing hot. LOL.
The plates in AZ for my FLTR = $275-$325 pr yr. Cars are just as bad.
AZ is a Right to work state.
So what have I missed.
I've ridden with 1 of 2 and a couple of others when they came out to AZ.
I'm friends with 2 of 2.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Lucero1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
Note to self...

Stay out of South Apopka.

Some interesting notes here, thanks all. I know many business ventures fail, this is a current, running business. The owner wants out, to retire. And my Bro currently works for him. So, (hopefully) he knows a bit about the workings. I know he is thinking a lot with his heart now, that is something we have to discuss.

We'll have to see when the dude wants out. the offer is already there, it's just a matter of when.

Thanks again.

Not trying to insult you or your brother, but I would hire an accountant to look over all the financials for the company and give you a report on it.

It sounds like you are potentially putting everything you have into this venture, so knowing the chances of success is worth the investment into an independent evaluation.

Also, working with your family in business is tough, during the good times and especially during the hard times....trust me on this - I've done it for over 12 years!

I've never been to Cleveland, but I did grow up near Cincinnati...and I would pick FL every day of the week!

Good luck!

Scott

Old 05-10-2012, 05:20 PM
jslum
Tourer

Orlando area is decent for healthcare community because of the retirees but south east Florida is better. The Tampa and Orlando area are also not as good for the job market. I moved to south east Florida from the panhandle and I love it for the most part but there is really NO winter here. The job market is a little better than other areas of florida. It's up to you ultimately though. I say take a chance and if it doesn't work try south Florida.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

I have thoughts of Moving to FL myself! I hear about the crime but it cant be any worse then the Northeast! Turn on the news up here and there is always bad! Shootings, stabbings, drug busts judges going to jail cause they are corrupt just like 99% of the population up here! Hate the winter here too! The people are hard core back stabbing snakes! My wifes friend just moved to the ST Augstine area down there and says she loves it! Would never move back north! I think the folks that were born there and live there all there life maybe dont know how good they have it! Oh and jobs and the economy sucks everywhere you go in the US right now! Even if everything was just as bad as up here At least Florida has nice weather!

Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 AM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lucero1
Not trying to insult you or your brother, but I would hire an accountant to look over all the financials for the company and give you a report on it.
No insult taken, dude. I want to be sure that there isn't some *hidden* surprise for me as well. I would not want to invest into a debt situation. We talked about me flying down there for week and seeing the operation at work, and talk with the current owner.

Thanks again for all the input.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 PM
TheGarbon
Cruiser

I moved down to Florida from Maine.

In Florida you can save money on the electric bill by getting a window shaker and running that instead of central air. Keeps it under $100 a month. Up north if you turn off the heat your pipes freeze and you will need a plumber and have water damage as well as you will be damn cold. When it gets hot in Florida you can take the bike to the beach or the springs and get in the water. Up north if it gets to cold you don't want to ride anyplace.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:41 PM
DravenGSX
Cruiser

I don't recommend Apopka, but there are plenty of nice areas in Central Florida, not far from Apopka depending on what you are looking for.

Since you didn't say what your profession or skillsets are, it's tough to tell you what the going rate for employment is here should your business not work out. It depends on what you do. Rent for an apartment or house should be ~$900+ in a decent area. The rest of the costs are pretty much the same as other places, I imagine save for the income tax.

Central Florida definitely has its perks. There's a ton to do. The weather is great and it's generally a great place to live.

Quick Reply: Living in Florida, Orlando area (Apopka)?