"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Which oil for the Florida heat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Redline

Redline Motorcycle Power Pack has everything you need in either 20w50 or 20w60, gear
oil, primary fluid, FI cleaner, funnel and a cap to keep the glare from your chrome gettin
to ya - google it - available for about $90 delivered. BTW - 5 qts of motor oil. All syn.
IMHO the best.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:27 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris111
This is my opinion of course based off of my experience.

I'd use mobile vtwin 20-50 in all. It's proven and is easy to get. Tranny shifts a lot smoother than the shockproof that was in it. I also wouldn't use anything thinner than 20-50. Florida is considered subtropical and is way too hot for anything thinner for an air cooled engine. I'm not saying that you can't but motors that are run hard will have more longevity using 20-50 versus a thinner oil.

In case you're wondering the difference in the standard auto mobile 1 versus the vtwin mobile 1 is that the auto is formulated to sustain breakdown to 250 degrees versus the vtwin that sustains up to 300 degrees.

If you do go with gear live than stay away from gl5 lubes as they are corrosive to red metals.
Not sure where you got this info from, but it's incorrect.
Fossil (non-synthetic) oils have a thermal break point of ~250*
Synthetic oil, Mobil-1 Automotive Oil included, has a thermal break point of 300+*

Mobil-1 V-Twin oil is specifically designed for V-Twin bikes where the motor, primary and tranny have a single oil supply, because clutches do not fair well with more than trace amounts of Moly as an additive. Because Harley has 3 separate holes, this is a non issue.

80,000 miles on my Sporty using Mobil-1 15w-50 Automotive oil and here's my last Oil Analysis from a couple of months ago. I don't think I'll be paying for any $$$ boutique oil any time soon...

BTW, a 5 quart jug of Mobil-1 15w50 runs ~$25.00.

Last edited by cHarley; 03-19-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Mobil 1 15-50 as well just because of the cost. I currently have Bel Ray V-twin Transmission oil in the tranny because I have a Screaming Eagle transmission and it is real noisy with 15-50 or 20-50. I just got tired of throwing money away needlessly.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris111
This is my opinion of course based off of my experience.

I'd use mobile vtwin 20-50 in all. It's proven and is easy to get. Tranny shifts a lot smoother than the shockproof that was in it. I also wouldn't use anything thinner than 20-50. Florida is considered subtropical and is way too hot for anything thinner for an air cooled engine. I'm not saying that you can't but motors that are run hard will have more longevity using 20-50 versus a thinner oil.

In case you're wondering the difference in the standard auto mobile 1 versus the vtwin mobile 1 is that the auto is formulated to sustain breakdown to 250 degrees versus the vtwin that sustains up to 300 degrees.

If you do go with gear live than stay away from gl5 lubes as they are corrosive to red metals.
I have 140,000 on my 96" engine. 95% of that is running Mobil1 15-50. The other 5% is other various oils I picked up at a bargain here or there. I have had no engine related problems due to oil, and am still running strong.

I would like to hear what personal experiences you have had that have lead you to your conclusions? (in no way flaming here, just interested in how you came to your conclusions.)

Old 03-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
BTW, a 5 quart jug of Mobil-1 15w50 runs ~$25.00.
Is Walmart carrying this again Charley?

Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Sefferdog
Is Walmart carrying this again Charley?
It seems so. I've read reports from around the country that Wally is carrying it again. I haven't checked locally yet, as I've still got a couple of cases left from what I picked up during NAPA's sale last June.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Lucero1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sefferdog
I have 140,000 on my 96" engine. 95% of that is running Mobil1 15-50. The other 5% is other various oils I picked up at a bargain here or there. I have had no engine related problems due to oil, and am still running strong.

I would like to hear what personal experiences you have had that have lead you to your conclusions? (in no way flaming here, just interested in how you came to your conclusions.)
Are you guys who run 15-50 using it in all 3 holes?

I would love to get rid of the loud clunking when I shift...

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:17 PM
cHarley
Club Member

I run the Mobil-1 75-90 Gear Oil in the tranny, it's smoother shifting and much quieter. You can find it at most auto parts stores (Autozone) for ~$9.00/qt.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have tried every oil out there. Every engine I ever put mobil 1 into got louder. I'm not saying it's not protecting,they just got louder.
Now if you want to lessen that "clunk" put gear oil in your tranny. Red line shockproof eliminated the clunk in my 6 speed but I would have no second thoughts about using royal purple either.
Now if you want to save a few bucks use plain old rotella 15w-40 in the primary. It's got the JASO stamp which means wet clutch safe and the primary doesn't need the expensive stuff.
My 96 was the most quiet with red line 20w-50. The bike purred with it in the engine. But I also have a large stockpile of amsoil v-twin and mobil 1 v-twin.
The above posters are correct. You can use any automotive oil in the 20w-50 flavour in the engine. 15w-50 is fine as well. The key number it the second one,it's the viscosity when the oil is at operating temperature. The first number is the viscosity when below freezing(w=winter)
You don't NEED synthetic as long as you change conventional at 3000 miles your all set. Syn will last 5000 miles so if you don't plan on extending your drain interval you are essentially pouring money down the drain. Syn oils are not more slippery,they just last longer,resist thermal breakdown for a longer period of time.
So to recap red line
shockproof or any 70w-140(for your hot climate) or 70w-90 gear oil in tranny. Rotella conventional in your primary and any oil with the second number 50 will do just fine.
In your climate a straight weight 50 will do great. It resists shear longer and cold viscosity is a mute point. In the summer you could even go straight 60 in the Florida heat.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
I have tried every oil out there. Every engine I ever put mobil 1 into got louder. I'm not saying it's not protecting,they just got louder.
Now if you want to lessen that "clunk" put gear oil in your tranny. Red line shockproof eliminated the clunk in my 6 speed but I would have no second thoughts about using royal purple either.
Now if you want to save a few bucks use plain old rotella 15w-40 in the primary. It's got the JASO stamp which means wet clutch safe and the primary doesn't need the expensive stuff.
My 96 was the most quiet with red line 20w-50. The bike purred with it in the engine. But I also have a large stockpile of amsoil v-twin and mobil 1 v-twin.
The above posters are correct. You can use any automotive oil in the 20w-50 flavour in the engine. 15w-50 is fine as well. The key number it the second one,it's the viscosity when the oil is at operating temperature. The first number is the viscosity when below freezing(w=winter)
You don't NEED synthetic as long as you change conventional at 3000 miles your all set. Syn will last 5000 miles so if you don't plan on extending your drain interval you are essentially pouring money down the drain. Syn oils are not more slippery,they just last longer,resist thermal breakdown for a longer period of time.
So to recap red line
shockproof or any 70w-140(for your hot climate) or 70w-90 gear oil in tranny. Rotella conventional in your primary and any oil with the second number 50 will do just fine.
In your climate a straight weight 50 will do great. It resists shear longer and cold viscosity is a mute point. In the summer you could even go straight 60 in the Florida heat.
IMO, the big advantage to syn in a hot climate is that it typically lowers you oil temp ~20* compared to a fossil oil, and it's break point is 300+* vs 250*.

Quick Reply: Which oil for the Florida heat?