"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Octane additve

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I noticed in acceleration was smoother acceleration. Not faster acceleration.... But no doubt it was noticable.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla
What I noticed in acceleration was smoother acceleration. Not faster acceleration.... But no doubt it was noticable.
Then the gas you are getting isn't that great of stuff. Do you fill up at the same station all the time?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gringoloco13
Then the gas you are getting isn't that great of stuff. Do you fill up at the same station all the time?
Usually a Marathon... At the local biker bar.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

True. Read this and then make a decision. I personally talked to the lab coat guys and got a simple answer, get your bike tuned by a good tuner with the fuel you normally run. I use Seafoam through the gas tank and through the throttle body direct on a hot motor every now and then, just ran it through my dirty oil after I left the dip stick loose going up to Ocala and back, all seems good if not better. The link above has good info. Not a fan of ethanol on a personal or professional level, hope someone in our government knows best.
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Originally Posted by seph10
do a search and find out what octane is and what it does,,,it's not what you may think,,after you find out what octane is and or means,,,then make a informed decision about adding it to your fuel,,a good place to search is,,,"HOW STUFF WORKS.COM...

Last edited by masterblaster; 12-20-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You want octane boost. Try acetone. 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons will improve fuel economy by at least 10%. Put in 1 liter to a full tank and you got around 100 octane.
It's a trick I learned at the track. I use my tuner(2000 mustang) to advance the timing as far as it will let me,then I spray nitrous. Not once have I had a problem. If you know anything about nitrous you are supposed to back the timing off with a shot over 100 hp. I spray a 175 shot with no issues.
I know I am gonna get naysayers and their bullshit but they have no idea what they are talking about. I got my car down the track in 12.67 at 122 mph on a stock block and street slicks.
Flame away. I don't care. I know what I'm talking about. Acetone is 130 octane. Mix it with gas and it breaks up the hydrocarbon molecule for a more complete burn. It help increase the fuels efficiency.
Say what you know it alls want to say. My time slips say it all

Old 12-20-2011, 09:47 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
True. Read this and then make a decision. I personally talked to the lab coat guys and got a simple answer, get your bike tuned by a good tuner with the fuel you normally run. I use Seafoam through the gas tank and through the throttle body direct on a hot motor every now and then, just ran it through my dirty oil after I left the dip stick loose going up to Ocala and back, all seems good if not better. The link above has good info. Not a fan of ethanol on a personal or professional level, hope someone in our government knows best.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
You want octane boost. Try acetone. 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons will improve fuel economy by at least 10%. Put in 1 liter to a full tank and you got around 100 octane.
It's a trick I learned at the track. I use my tuner(2000 mustang) to advance the timing as far as it will let me,then I spray nitrous. Not once have I had a problem. If you know anything about nitrous you are supposed to back the timing off with a shot over 100 hp. I spray a 175 shot with no issues.
I know I am gonna get naysayers and their bullshit but they have no idea what they are talking about. I got my car down the track in 12.67 at 122 mph on a stock block and street slicks.
Flame away. I don't care. I know what I'm talking about. Acetone is 130 octane. Mix it with gas and it breaks up the hydrocarbon molecule for a more complete burn. It help increase the fuels efficiency.
Say what you know it alls want to say. My time slips say it all
Im not knocking you, use want you want to your vehicle. But Acetone is a solvent that will eat plastic, rubber, etc so I don't see why you would want to put that in your tank (made of plastic and other compounds). Plus it will run through gaskets on the way to inside the motor. IMHO not a wise choice and you are bound to have fuel leaks eventually, not safe. But yes I run nitrous as well and run alittle more timing than stock, but I use torco. The key is to avoid pre ignition, if you can do this then you are good. But too much timing even with high octane fuel will lead to a blown motor, so you have to find the balance. Do you have anything to monitor knock? I know in my Lightning we don't have a factory system to monitor knock hooked up to our pcm to view. But I think the Stangs do have the knock sensor wired in. I would keep an eye on knock as well as a/f ratio, etc while running nitrous. Just because you have a safe a/f doesn't mean your motor is running good per say

edit: On a side note though a 12.6 on slicks and a 175 shot isn't impressive to be honest. So sounds like you have traction issues (122 trap should be in the 11's easy). What kind of 60 foot are you cutting and what is your 1/8 mile time? Are you running a single or dual stage? Spraying out of the hole or once you go into third gear? What ever it is you need some suspension mods because your car isn't hooking....Reason I know this is my little Neon SRT-4 runs 11.5 at 122 and that is on slicks as well but alot of spinning down low.

Last edited by Gringoloco13; 12-20-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
We are having your guy in texas do it when we go to arizona

Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 PM
tourglider
Tourer

This post has some interesting info and some do it yourself formulas. Not saying its right or wrong. I don't know much about them but its a interesting read. Formulas on page 2.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-additive.html

Old 12-21-2011, 03:03 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

after reading all that, I am going to ever on the safe side.

only thing going into my tank is what comes out of the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Octane additve