"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

tampa -> key west

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:04 AM
ki4top
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default tampa -> key west

wife and I are about to embark on a long weekend trip from tampa to key west on a rental (ultra classic street glide). as this is likely the most distance i will cover in one day, anything I should consider / be prepared for? (trip is in december)

1. we will be wearing full face helmets
2. i have garmin gps for the handlebar
3. have wet weather gear
4. have bluetooth helmet radios to hear each other
5. in the event of cold weather, we both have chaps...but don't think we'll need it

possible routes (i like #1 - avoids as much highway as possible)
1. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=69...&t=h&z=8&via=1

2. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=69...mra=ls&t=h&z=8

any other routes i should consider?

Thanks for your insight!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:34 AM
RoadMonkey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st,,we love the keys! jus sayin, anyway...I've riden both routes you've posted plus the turnpike deal. I'm sure there are others, but I've only run those three. It's all about personal preference, but I like the 75 run the best. I've made the ride in all weather conditions plus one rain storm that should have made us not go, but "it's just water" right. Whether I ride the a sportbike or a cruiser I love to ride there. As I recall the majority of our trips have me leaving around 2-3pm on a weekday and arrive around 10-11pm. Have a safe and fun ride! Oh...I'm a little jealous =)

Old 11-27-2011, 11:48 AM
ki4top
Advanced

thank you! we're pretty excited. have a couple other friends heading down with us...think we've decided on 75.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Route 41, the Old Tamiami Trail is a very good trip. Mostly a 2 lane but lots of redlights etc. until you get past Fort Myers. Takes you through the glades. Everglades city and the Chokaloksee bay are old time Florida places to visit.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by ki4top
thank you! we're pretty excited. have a couple other friends heading down with us...think we've decided on 75.
Just make sure you have a great time..I lived in the Lower keys for about 34 years before moving to Tennessee..

Old 11-27-2011, 12:16 PM
ki4top
Advanced

having a good time is #1 priority! quick question - does the ultra classic have a 12 volt charger on it that i can plug my GPS into? (hoping so)

Old 11-27-2011, 12:28 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ki4top
having a good time is #1 priority! quick question - does the ultra classic have a 12 volt charger on it that i can plug my GPS into? (hoping so)
Yup, there should be a cigarette-lighter type hole there on the fairing (left side). It hides pretty good so look down and under the bars. You'll see it. The rental guys should point that out too. Be very careful moving the handlebars hard left in any parking lot. You may smash you adapter into the gas tank; hurting either the gas tank, destroying your adapter, or both. Never a problem while underway because you will never move the bars that far over, but when duck-walking or parking.... watch out, or unplug first.

ENJOY your trip! (take a couple of your favorite CDs filled with MP3 for the built-in CD player) or have the mini-plug cable to directly connect your ipod music to the jack on the face of the radio.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member

I guess the question begging to be asked here is, Have you ever ridden a 800+ lb motorcycle before?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:49 PM
ki4top
Advanced

Originally Posted by PoorBoy
Yup, there should be a cigarette-lighter type hole there on the fairing (left side). It hides pretty good so look down and under the bars. You'll see it. The rental guys should point that out too. Be very careful moving the handlebars hard left in any parking lot. You may smash you adapter into the gas tank; hurting either the gas tank, destroying your adapter, or both. Never a problem while underway because you will never move the bars that far over, but when duck-walking or parking.... watch out, or unplug first.

ENJOY your trip! (take a couple of your favorite CDs filled with MP3 for the built-in CD player) or have the mini-plug cable to directly connect your ipod music to the jack on the face of the radio.
thank you, was actually considering connecting my cell phone into the radio via mini-plug so I can push Pandora through the bike's stereo.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:09 PM
ki4top
Advanced

Originally Posted by Big Gator
I guess the question begging to be asked here is, Have you ever ridden a 800+ lb motorcycle before?
yes, i've rented 10 different times - 6 of those were the bigger harleys. rented the ultra classic 4 times. feel pretty comfortable riding - even with the wife on the back.

Quick Reply: tampa -> key west