"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Useful Android Phone apps for Riders

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Radimus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreyjames
This sounds really cool.. I've never heard of it.. Do you happen to do this a lot? What is it like? Would love to hear some of your experiences.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4VFeYZTTYs

A geocache typically is some form of container (i've seen ammo cans, quart sized jugs, film canisters, pill bottles, empty pens, magnetic key storage boxes, etc).

They always contain a logbook of some sort, even if it just a rolled up piece of paper. Bigger ones oftem will have tradeables. Take something out, put something back for the next person. Occasionally these tradeables have a serial number and web address so you could go to the site, enter the SN and see the history of where the "geocoin/geobug" has travelled and you could update it by adding where you found it.

Geocaches as a general rule are on public property or public use, so no need to hop people's fences. I have found them in a tree on the side of a road, in parks while camping with cubscouts, at rest stops on interstates, in gas stations and restaraunt parking lots. I found one on a light pole across from my office and at grocery stores. I've found a dozen along a 4 mile hiking trail. Some caches contain the location to an unpublished cache as a sort of puzzle.

I typically will take my kids on a Saturday to a park or a hiking trail and go caching with them, more as an excuse for family time and just spending time with them. I get them close and "release the hounds"... they get a kick out of finding it and the finder gets first pick out ot the goodies in the cache. I sometimes just want to stretch my legs for a bit after a ride and this is better than standing around. Often, I want to just visit some landmark or spot as an excuse for a ride and when I get there I'll look to see if there is a cache nearby... Often there are.

Go to http://www.geocaching.com/ and you can look around your neighborhood and more than likely there are some to be found, especially if you have a park or some kind of landmark nearby. Also, GeoCaching tries to "give back" by while caching at a location, try to clean up the area a bit. "Cache in, Trash Out"... A very boy scout sort of thing to do.

All you need for geocaching is a pen, a location, and some sort of GPS that you could enter the location. When you get nearby, etiquette is that you don't attact attention from the "muggles" and give away the game or location (unless you are questioned). Most Android, iPhones, Blackberries and WinMo phones have GPS and apps that make this easy to do, but most typical Garmin GPSs can do it as well.

http://www.geocaching.com/map/beta/default.aspx .. Just for giggles, I looked up Sebring, FL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2j3b...eature=related

Last edited by Radimus; 09-27-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:25 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is so up my alley.. And a perfect excuse to get on the bike. I'm excited about this, thank you.. Major Geek here as well, and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Radimus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4VFeYZTTYs

A geocache typically is some form of container (i've seen ammo cans, quart sized jugs, film canisters, pill bottles, empty pens, magnetic key storage boxes, etc).

They always contain a logbook of some sort, even if it just a rolled up piece of paper. Bigger ones oftem will have tradeables. Take something out, put something back for the next person. Occasionally these tradeables have a serial number and web address so you could go to the site, enter the SN and see the history of where the "geocoin/geobug" has travelled and you could update it by adding where you found it.

Geocaches as a general rule are on public property or public use, so no need to hop people's fences. I have found them in a tree on the side of a road, in parks while camping with cubscouts, at rest stops on interstates, in gas stations and restaraunt parking lots. I found one on a light pole across from my office and at grocery stores. I've found a dozen along a 4 mile hiking trail. Some caches contain the location to an unpublished cache as a sort of puzzle.

I typically will take my kids on a Saturday to a park or a hiking trail and go caching with them, more as an excuse for family time and just spending time with them. I get them close and "release the hounds"... they get a kick out of finding it and the finder gets first pick out ot the goodies in the cache. I sometimes just want to stretch my legs for a bit after a ride and this is better than standing around. Often, I want to just visit some landmark or spot as an excuse for a ride and when I get there I'll look to see if there is a cache nearby... Often there are.

Go to http://www.geocaching.com/ and you can look around your neighborhood and more than likely there are some to be found, especially if you have a park or some kind of landmark nearby. Also, GeoCaching tries to "give back" by while caching at a location, try to clean up the area a bit. "Cache in, Trash Out"... A very boy scout sort of thing to do.

All you need for geocaching is a pen, a location, and some sort of GPS that you could enter the location. When you get nearby, etiquette is that you don't attact attention from the "muggles" and give away the game or location (unless you are questioned). Most Android, iPhones, Blackberries and WinMo phones have GPS and apps that make this easy to do, but most typical Garmin GPSs can do it as well.

http://www.geocaching.com/map/beta/default.aspx .. Just for giggles, I looked up Sebring, FL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2j3b...eature=related

Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just saw this app in another section of the Forum,
apparently written by the Forum Member "threeten".

It's not very sophisticated yet, but does contain
some very useful info such as a diagnostic code list,
and dealer locator.

It is what it is, but it does work on all of my Android devices.

Check it out here:
V-Twin App

Old 09-28-2011, 10:00 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob
I just saw this app in another section of the Forum,
apparently written by the Forum Member "threeten".

It's not very sophisticated yet, but does contain
some very useful info such as a diagnostic code list,
and dealer locator.

It is what it is, but it does work on all of my Android devices.

Check it out here:
V-Twin App
Thanks for the link, that's a handy app. Working great on Gingerbread.
Note: no, it's not available for iCrap.

Android Market Link

Last edited by cHarley; 09-28-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cHarley
Note: no, it's not available for iCrap.
Hey, I resemble that remark!