"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Hello from West Palm Beach

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome, a dyna will be fine to start out on but I would buy nearly new and save all that money to put toward the king when you are ready.

Take the safety course before you buy!!! You might discover that riding is just not for you during the course. Last time I took it we had two people quit about halfway through and the said it scared them to much.

We will still be here when you are ready to ride in a group. Have fun shopping. I love bike shopping!!!!

Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

I agree with Dave. Get a used one with low miles and you can get a great deal. All of them are great bikes. Get that one that makes your heart race.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Insayn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the welcome and the advice. I have ridden before just not in a large group or on Harley its just been a while. I also used to race motocross when i was younger.

Welcome, sounds like your new 2 riding? If so may I suggest getting some "safe" miles in before joining the crew on one of our 300 mile lunch specials.
AND don't mind the OLD farts, they'll try to sell you the hair on their backs!
A dyna is a fine/wise choice.
I will definitely get some safe miles in being that it will need to be broke in. I will want to break it in the right way and not hold anyone one up. I can see what ya mean about trying to sell me the hair on their backs!! LMAO

Old 06-18-2011, 07:22 PM
rusty pompano
Tourer

Originally Posted by redman53
Cut to the chase..get a Road King...sooner or later your gonna wind up on a touring bike anyways... that and any other advice you get on here is free...and it's worth what you paid for it
what he said just get a roadking and be done with it........ ,this way you dont end up like some one else we know four bikes with in a year

Old 06-18-2011, 08:25 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rusty pompano
what he said just get a roadking and be done with it........ ,this way you dont end up like some one else we know four bikes with in a year
Not mentioning Gabe's name or nothing...

Old 06-19-2011, 09:24 AM
rollin fxst
Tourer

welcome from clewiston

Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All of these guys pushing you towards a Road King have obviously never perched their *** on an Ultra. Skip all the BS and go for the gusto! Take it from someone who rides a ton of miles. You can't go wrong with an Ultra. Anything else you will always be wanting.......

Old 06-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Insayn
Hello to you all! Bob pointed me here to the florida crew. I introduced myself here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-m...m-florida.html

I am 36 looking to buy my 1st harley. Taken the driving course for the indorsement this weekend. Then next weekend i am going to be shopping for a bike. When i get my wheels im hoping to hook up with some of you all and ride.
I have my eye on the fat bob. I went and sat on a few and looked at them and that one cought my eye and felt the most comfortable to me.
I am going to be buying new. I want a few things put on it before i even take it off the lot so i will be trying to negotiate that in the deal also. Bob said the florida crew has alot of combined experience in this area. Is there any advice that any of you can give to me to try and get the best deal possible?
As you have heard, like any recreational activity there can be some expensive pit falls. What if you spend all that money and God forbid that new Harley just sits in the garage. What you might want to consider at this point and avoid many of the pit falls of getting involved in riding is pick up a used bike like a Yamaha VStar 650. You can pick one up for under 4K and I would look for one closer to 3K then once you have your biker legs so to speak you could rent the different Harleys for a day or weekend until you decide which one works for you. At that point you could probable sell the Yamaha for what you paid for it.

Anyway, Just an idea. Not necessarily a good one.

Good luck and Stay Safe. The other drivers that do see you are the ones truly out to kill you.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it wasn't so far away, you may want to wait for Biketoberfest to make a decision on the Harley.

If you can get something cheap and used like gator said about the vstar 650 and get some miles under your belt

usually at bike week and biketoberfest the manufacturers show up with their entire line up and as long as you are endorsed from you class and it's on your license, you can ride anything in their line up

Harley doesn't do a guided tour, rather puts up a course of arrows out on the streets and you go at your own pace and enoy the eide all on your own.

You can hammer it, cruise it, whatever you want to do, and when you get done you hand it over and get on the next one. It's basically the best way to figure out which Harley you really like (beyond the looks or price)

It is truly very hard to make a decision on which one you will like the most out on the road, without putting a little seat time into them all.

I personally thought I would love the Fat Bob and within 3 mins on my test drive, I couldn't wait to get off, so I spent the whole ride slowing down and doing bonzai acceleration runs.

then I went on to other things in the fleet.

and wednesday I hope to pick up my 2008 SG

Old 06-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lgenf
if it wasn't so far away, you may want to wait for Biketoberfest to make a decision on the Harley.

If you can get something cheap and used like gator said about the vstar 650 and get some miles under your belt

usually at bike week and biketoberfest the manufacturers show up with their entire line up and as long as you are endorsed from you class and it's on your license, you can ride anything in their line up

Harley doesn't do a guided tour, rather puts up a course of arrows out on the streets and you go at your own pace and enoy the eide all on your own.

You can hammer it, cruise it, whatever you want to do, and when you get done you hand it over and get on the next one. It's basically the best way to figure out which Harley you really like (beyond the looks or price)

It is truly very hard to make a decision on which one you will like the most out on the road, without putting a little seat time into them all.

I personally thought I would love the Fat Bob and within 3 mins on my test drive, I couldn't wait to get off, so I spent the whole ride slowing down and doing bonzai acceleration runs.

then I went on to other things in the fleet.

and wednesday I hope to pick up my 2008 SG
Not sure if they still do it, but last I knew you could go into Ocala Harley and test ride any bike on the floor. I have ridden several from there.

Quick Reply: Hello from West Palm Beach