"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

"Love bugs"??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 PM
rydahog
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Love bugs

posted this before, but wet and rub off bounce dryer sheets, bugs go off easy,,
rinse with soap and water when needed,,enjoy the ride,,)

Old 05-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Gonna have to try the Bounce sheets. I picked up a bottle of that Turtle wax "Ice" car wash and they came off with little to no effort using that stuff. It says it dries "spot free" and it dam near does, especially on the chrome. I only had one or two spots on the paint after letting it air dry. Good Stuff.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The Caribbean Club claims to be where "Key Largo" was filmed, "Key Largo" was filmed on a sound stage in Hollywood. It’s ok as bars go but I wouldn’t go out of my way to stop there.

They did use some footage of the outside of the "Caribbean Club" in the movie. It was only two shots in the whole thing but it prompted "Rock Harbor" Florida to change their town name to Key Largo in 1948 after the success of the movie. Also the African Queen is on a lift behind the Holiday inn in Key Largo which is pretty cool and last but not least by far is John Pennekamp state park which is a must do in my book.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
We will be coming though on Thursday, June 2. Plan to be at the airport around 2 pm and then head on to Key Largo for the night. That would be great to meet up, but it will be on a Thursday. I would assume the best is to go back west on I-595 and get back on the TP and head south. Looks like we have the option right after getting off the TP to take Card Sound Rd. Do recommend that or just stay on US 1 to Key Largo? Also, coming south on I95 is it best to jump onto the TP as far north as Fort Pierce? I assume you have to stop and pay cash tolls on the TP. I hate that on the motorcycle, but sounds like that is a lot better than staying on I95!! Do you have an idea of the total cash tolls it would take between Fort Pierce and Florida City (so I will know how much cash to keep in my windshield bag!!). Heading back north the following week, we are taking the west route across US 41 to I75 to Atlanta and back though the Smokey Mountains. That should be nice to avoid the Miami area on the return trip!!

Thanks!!
1- airport to Turnpike south would be fastest..just before you hit Dolphins football stadium(changes names every few years) it is Miami Dade county and toll is by Sun pass or Toll by plate(billed by mail + about 3.00 per month) no cash and toll booths are unmanned/obsolete and being removed. That is the turnpike extension you gab west/south.. Broward county is a different story cash toll booths at $1-1.25 per toll(bring a roll of quarters)
2-Card sound road is quieter and much more relaxed than straight US #1 and passes small/tiny fishing shack town and alabama jacks(just before toll $1) Card sound road adds about 15 minutes to trip so decide if going on way down or up.The straight shot takes you over new bridge that provides long views.
3-consider stopping at Island Morada fish company to eat..next to fishing "Zane Grey?sportsman ?" mile marker 81..everything in keys is identified with mile marker..
neat store/clean bathrooms in large store/ fish tanks/ stuff to look at..search key west on HD forums...also feed the tarpon at Robbies..about MM 78? under bridge(gulf side)
4-guess you are returning by krome(997) north to Tamiami Trail(41) west to route 29 north to alligator alley(I-75) west which is labeled as north....note that Tamiami Trail sucks if it rains badly(no drainage) but is great(low traffic) when weather is good..do not take Tamiami Trail at night....also only two gas stations on Tamiami trail on that route..one hidden little indian gas station (reservation) and a second real gas station at route 29 intersection...
* as mentioned before do not speed in the Keys..most places 45 mph, every once in a while you get a 55mph that drops back to 45mph/35mph quickly.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

as mentioned... Avoid I-95 south of Ft Pierce..the traffic and driver situation is unbelievable...
The turnpike is much more relaxed and you can eat miles rapidly.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Things to consider..here is a cut and paste for keys:
On the way down consider taking (997) krome south to the end were it will merge with (1) at the very beginning of keys. It will spit you out very close to the last chance saloon ”biker bar” and card sound road entrance.*In your case you would come off turnpike about 2 miles north of bar on same US #1 by a ton of gas stations.
Alabama Jack's, Card Sound Rd., On card sound road just before/right next to toll…Place to eat or snack. This is the only place to eat/drink on card sound road.
Key Largo : east side of road.. The African Queen ”bogart movie little boat ” - is on view at the Holiday Inn Key Largo Marina..”FREE” it is dry docked and the termites have done a number on it…can see it and leave with-out getting off bike…on west side of road: A local bar “Dumpy”, the Caribbean Club-good view from the back and was supposedly used for Bogart movie…Get a beer in a bottle and enjoy view of water in back.
Islamorada :Hand feed tarpons at Robbies..really east to miss...just past bridge..west side of road.. I think it is $3 for bucket of fish and $1 dollar per person? nice 15-20 minute stop and they have cold glass bottle cokes to cool down.http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm

World Wide Sportsman, Islamorada - ultimate tackle store (now part of the Bass Pro Shop chain) but store has a history that includes Zane Grey and Papa Hemingway. Good place to eat next door at isla morada fish company…Do not eat under roof “hot” eat at table with umbrella….use bathrooms at the big world wide sports store next door..(back right corner) by the aquarium.
Seven Mile Bridge: used in several movies. Notice old bridge on west side.
Mile marker #27 Boondock’s Grill is a nice relaxed bar/grill on the water and makes for a good food stop before entering Key West.
key west
Mallory Square,Hemingway House
Best fish sandwich : BO's fishwagon, fresh everyday, on caroline and William..dump at corner of intersection..park bikes a few feet away..do internet search http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/bos-fish-wagon.html
BO's has NO view but sandwich is good...just behind it about 1/2 block away is Wharf Bar on William Street which has view of marina and is close to catamaran sunset sail snorkel boats..the food is good,simple basket with shrimp/fries etc. and they have live music most nights
Definitely get your picture taken at the Southernmost Point.
The Hemingway house tour is cool also.
The Key West old orange/red Bi-plane flight tour for two people (about 30 minutes) over reef is rather cool and takes off from Key West airport .
The sunset sail with drinks,canon and release of birds is nice also.
The catamaran snorkel and sunset is good also.
Have a great time!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

oops, my ADD kicked in. Look at the butterfly