"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

"Love bugs"??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:37 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Nothing wrong with Miami, dont be a skerdy cat. Be cautious on the TP from Palm Beack south especially during rush hour which you will be hitting according to your time schedule, it is the safest route for a foreigner there though. BTW love your area of Va, lived east in Chesapeake and up in Fairfax, can keep FFX but I did like southern and western Va a lot.

If the bugs get bad enough just ride your bike through the water sprayers at each TP gas stop you will get a bit wet but it will help you clean off the bug ooze, dont worry bout the strange looks you will get.

Last edited by masterblaster; 05-14-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:51 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
Heading down with a group to Key West from Virginia. Expect to be traveling down I95 through Florida on June 2 to Key Largo and on to Key West on June 3. What can we expect as to the "love bugs" that I have read about? Are they normally gone by then? If not, any tips as to avoiding and/or dealing with them?
Not to worry. I got em'all. The ones I didn't kill are laying by the side of the road....screaming. (turn up your stereo).

chuck the mensh

Attached Thumbnails "Love bugs"??-love-bug-endangered-species.jpg  
Old 05-16-2011, 08:09 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

JD and I a couple weekends ago..... He took the brunt of it being in the front. His buddy Rod rode with us and had no windshield or helmet, we stopped for a bandana. That's hardcore.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you mentioned TP tolls and it is a very good point. miami dade county, & most of so fla is now cashless. so DO NOT stop at toll plaza, you will become a statistic. fla residents who do not acquire a "sunpass" simply have a "bill" sent to the address of registration per camera photos of plates. I do not know how this works for out of state plates. better to clarify a plan first. I'm sure the crew will chime in on options.

also, take card sound rd. which is right across from last chance saloon, a must pit stop!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might as well stay on 95 to the Airport, when you leave there try:

895 West (toll I think)
75 West
27 South
997 South (takes you to Florida City & US 1)

This will keep you off of the Turnpike. There are no toll booths on the Turnpike, they will take a photo of your tag and send a bill (to include an administrative charge) to your home. I have no idea of the amount of the administrative charge or if it is added to every toll area or just the total bill but you can be sure it is not a discount.

I would stay on US 1 going down and save Alabama Jacks for the return trip. It makes for a good rest stop on the way out; it’s about 2 ˝ hours from Key West and a great place for lunch.

The Caribbean Club claims to be where "Key Largo" was filmed, "Key Largo" was filmed on a sound stage in Hollywood. It’s ok as bars go but I wouldn’t go out of my way to stop there.

Speaking of bars, Pepe’s (806 Caroline Street, Key West) has the best Margareta you will ever drink.

First time in Key West? You might as well do Mallory Square for sunset one night, after that go to the roof top bar of La Concha. La Concha is a hotel on Duval Street and the tallest building in Key West.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 AM
rdb1976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I thought this thread was about crabs...

Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

From Lake City home.

Attached Thumbnails "Love bugs"??-imgp1285.jpg  
Old 05-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was at the Lone Cabbage on 520. Wish I had taken a photo of the old bearded guy that doesn't have a windshield. Couldn't even comb them out of his beard.

They do not taste like chicken.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:48 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

997 is Chrome Ave...it sucks...stop lights...traffic...and crazy drivers..(there's not even any scenery to make it worthwhile)..whatever the toll is on the TP it's worth it to avoid all that...and it's a straight shot...get on it, get off in Fla City...just my .02

Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by SA315B

Speaking of bars, Pepe’s (806 Caroline Street, Key West) has the best Margareta you will ever drink.
And the best breakfast in town.

Quick Reply: "Love bugs"??