"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Need ideas for a ride...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011 | 10:02 AM
Skrimshaw
|
Road Captain
Default Need ideas for a ride...

Starting June 4, I am taking a 2 week vacation from work. I am planning on doing a 3-4 day ride somewhere. I would like to do something I have never done, or somewhere I have never been, I have several ideas so far:
1) Heading to south florida, maybe to the Keys, and try to ride with other crew members down south that I don't normally get to ride with.
2)Head North, to tail of the dragon, then hitting the peach festival in GA, making a big triangle.
3) Heading to Texas, to try some Texan BBQ.

I would be interested in hearing some other ideas. Also, if anyone is up to this adventure, you are more than welcome to join me. No dates are set in stone (except my vacation days), and I am up for almost anything. I just want a nice relaxing few days.

Any ideas out there?

Old 05-13-2011 | 10:24 AM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member

Use the "Stick Method" Throw a stick in the air and when it lands on the ground then go in that direction.

Ride Safe -- Have Fun

Old 05-13-2011 | 10:34 AM
glenalt
Road Master

Texas barbeque gets my vote. I had the best and only prime rib barbeque I have ever eaten just outside of Dallas. Yummy!!

Old 05-13-2011 | 12:41 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Big Gator
Use the "Stick Method" Throw a stick in the air and when it lands on the ground then go in that direction.

Ride Safe -- Have Fun
Uhhh, forgive me but which end of da stick? & don't say both!

Riding in so fla is NOT relaxing.
I say ride to the hills (north).

Old 05-13-2011 | 12:50 PM
cHarley
Club Member

It's hot (temp wise) in the Keys this time of year, and no where to go once you get there, riding wise.

There's a lot of boring miles between here and Texas, if you're trying to get there and back in just a few days.

You've never really ridden, if you haven't spent a few days on the twisties, and there are many great roads to ride in and around the area of the Dragon. There also is no better Q than what you'll find in TN & NC. Cows for making steaks, real Q is pork, Texan's just don't know any better.

Last edited by cHarley; 05-13-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2011 | 01:12 PM
1of2
"Moderator"

I agree with Charlie. Go north. It is real nice riding up there. Perfect for a four day ride.

Old 05-13-2011 | 01:17 PM
sjp3003
Advanced

I also agree...go north. I used to live in So Fl and it is hot, flat and offers no curves. The keys are nice cruise destination, but if you want to ride and stir your adrenalin head towards the Dragon and explore other roads in that area. I've been to the Dragon 3 times and would be happy to go back. I just took 8 days off and headed SW from DC all the way to Memphis, and the best part of the actual ride was on byways in and around the Appalachians.

Old 05-13-2011 | 02:46 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member

To paraphrase a line I heard in a movie..."Head fer the hills!"
BTW.I know a place wherre you can get some fresh...um...nontaxed(?)hooch... It does burn, but it is a very light blue flame. hard to see in the daylight....Tastes like crap, but all of that "fresh" stuff does...

All ya gots to do is find a "good ol' boy" and ask. if he doesn't know the next one or two will.... The magic words are.."ya know where a man can get some fresh likker?"
Take an empty vodka or gin bottle with you to put it in so ya don't get caught! two bucks a quart, water it down so it'll be around 50 proof, then mix it or sip it. Whatever you do, don't drink it straight, you'll burn your throat!

Old 05-13-2011 | 03:21 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rebel Ryder
Uhhh, forgive me but which end of da stick? & don't say both!
You would first need a committee to define what stick would give the most diverse and ride inclusive results then once they have reached a consensus the committee will chose which end is proper under the current circumstances.

I didn't want to confuse him this early in the process.

Old 05-13-2011 | 03:35 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Big Gator
You would first need a committee to define what stick would give the most diverse and ride inclusive results then once they have reached a consensus the committee will chose which end is proper under the current circumstances.

I didn't want to confuse him this early in the process.
Yep, just like putting something up for a vote, by asking the members of the FL Crew their opinion.

Wasn't it Clint Eastwood that coined the phrase "Cluster *****"

Quick Reply: Need ideas for a ride...