"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Arizona Ride 2012

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
Buy all your goodies, then ship them home UPS, Fed-Ex, or US Postal. You could even wrap them in a heated jacket!
Might well ship... Minus heated jacket. Go ahead and joke about the heated gear, but those of us who bring it will be smiling warmly, while you're freezing your silver nuggets off. ;-)

Seriously, listen to Dean.... Last time I was there I froze, and I was only on a mountain bicycle.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:44 PM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will post my phone number and address on the FB group. You all are welcome to ship a box to my house. Jay and Lucy did this last time and may do it again. I have seen 40 degree differences in temp from day to night here. Now add elevation changes, precipitation (yes, it happens here) and you have unpredictable temperatures. Be prepared. As Joe and Dale said, have a warm jacket and layers of clothes so you can adjust to almost any condition. I usually get by with a light weatherproof jacket, leather vest and I keep an extra sweatshirt and a pair of Codura nylon riding pants rolled up in my side bag. I switch the lightweight jacket for my leather on colder days or if expecting rain in the higher elevations. I keep two pair of gloves (warm weather and cold weather) in my bag. Damn! Maybe that is why I need the tour pak.
We picked April because it will not likely be extremely hot or cold but that means we do not know what front (if any) will be rolling in until the time arrives. I will let you guys decide if you want to do the Coronado Trail (may still be snow covered in April) check it out on "cyclerides.com" and see if it is something you want to do and let me know. It is roughly 550 mile day trip from my house and back with some of the best twisties in the US. A lot of tight mountain curves opening up to some great sweepers. The view is spectacular! It will make for a long day so we will need an early start.
Dean

Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Never had a problem with early starts prefer that to getting back late ..

Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 2of2
I will let you guys decide if you want to do the Coronado Trail (may still be snow covered in April) check it out on "cyclerides.com" and see if it is something you want to do and let me know. It is roughly 550 mile day trip from my house and back with some of the best twisties in the US. A lot of tight mountain curves opening up to some great sweepers. The view is spectacular! It will make for a long day so we will need an early start.
Dean
Dean,
I was just checking out the Coronado Trail. Looks Awesome!
I know our time will fly, and we won't be able to ride every road on our list...
...But LET'S TRY!!! Wherever we ride, whatever we do, we're gonna have a blast! And when it's all over, and we roll outta town, we'll know that we did all that we could do, in the time that we had. And when we get back home, there will be NO regrets, NO second-guessing, NO shoulda, woulda, or coulda's. We will KNOW that we RODE our butts off.
...and our epic journey begins in 40 days!!! -Steevo-

Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

FYI....

If you are thinking about riding the Coronado Trail in a one day round trip with a group, you are looking at about 11 hours of riding time plus stops.

It's a great ride though.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

Always wanted to try an 11 hour Day trip

Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Always wanted to try an 11 hour Day trip
Well we are going there to ride, so why not. My longest one day is 9 hours to Key West and back. That was with masterblaster, and seeing that he and I are riding together to AZ, I m sure that 11 hour mark will be a distant spec in my mirror by the time we get to Mesa.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

For any that didn't see it on FB .. I am heading out Thursday April 5 to meet with an old riding friend in TX .. Maybe we can meet up farther up the road or see ya at Mesa .. If run into any bad areas on I-10 such as heavy construction will try and give a heads up ..

Old 02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
2of2
Road Warrior

Jay
If you end up getting here before the rest, you can ride out with Bengo and me on Monday to meet the guys at the border.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 PM
2of2
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
to meet with an old riding friend in TX ...
Who are you calling old ???

Quick Reply: Arizona Ride 2012