"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Arizona Ride 2012

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

Maybe it would be better to start of on Saturday instead of Friday. I think before we worry too much about how it will all work we need to get a good idea of who is really going. The size of the group and their styles will be an important part of the decision.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Motel!!??? We don't need no stinking motel!!!! We are just going to Arizona after all, It's not like we are riding to New Mexico, Sheez!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

We'll have a pre-trip meeting, tell a few stories about the "banditos", and then nobody will stray from the group...

Old 06-22-2011, 03:37 PM
flagirl
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2of2
That will be the best part of your trip for sure. I just got back from there a week ago. I am sure it was hot in Tucson area and Vegas will be as well. Northern AZ will be a cool refreshing change from all the desert riding. As Dale said try to hit Sedona, Oak Creek, Jerome. In fact, let me know when and where and we will try to put together a ride to show you the sights.
Thank you for the offer! We're in Vegas now and will probably be here for at least 2 weeks. When we know we're heading back East I'll send you a message and hopefully we can hook up for some riding.

On a side note, as an alternative to hotels, we've seen a few riding groups stay at the KOA Campgrounds in the cabins. In Carlsbad, NM there was a group of about 7-8 guys checking in right before us, and again in San Antonio. I'm not sure of the rate on the cabins, and they're pretty rural (no linens, food, etc) but it's a roof over your head and a mattress and they usually sleep anywhere from 5-8 people.

I'm sure Dale or his brother can give more detailed information on driving in the desert, but my opinion on driving out here compared to Florida is it's quite different. Texas was still pretty hot and humid when we were in San Antonio about 2 weeks ago, not much different from Florida, but once you cross into NM, AZ and Nevada, everything changes. The dry heat and high winds keeps you feeling cooler than you really are so you tend to think you're fine meanwhile you're withering away like jerky. In April, of course, the weather will be cooler than it is now.

I was blown away (pun intended) by the very high cross winds and ran through a few dust devils, (thank goodness for full face helmets). The high heat and low humidity really drains you dry much faster than it does in Florida. I found wearing my lightweight leather vented jacket helped keep me cooler than my husband who just wore a t-shirt. Stopping every hour or so while riding is almost a must, just to rehydrate and cool off in the shade if nothing else.

All in all, it's really beautiful riding out here, so different and much more fun than Florida. I'm loving the rolling hills and the "ribbons" of highway stretching out into the distance.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK....I'm gonna be the Grinch...from past experiences riding in a large group while impressive looking, is generally not practical for covering big chunks of real estate...My suggestion would be to split up in smaller groups 3-4 bikes per group, with maybe a 20 min separation between groups. Everyone can still be together at night and the "group" spirit will be intact. This again depends on how may people actually make the ride. And Steveo your mention of "Banditos" may not be far off the mark. At one point we will be fairly close to the border, and if you have paid attention to the news at all lately, you surely know that lot's of crazy chit going on there.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redman53
And Steveo your mention of "Banditos" may not be far off the mark. At one point we will be fairly close to the border, and if you have paid attention to the news at all lately, you surely know that lot's of crazy chit going on there.
The Bandidos is a 1% MC that covers a lot of Texas and much of New Mexico.

http://www.bandidosmc.dk/

Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Big Gator
The Bandidos is a 1% MC that covers a lot of Texas and much of New Mexico.

http://www.bandidosmc.dk/
Thanks Tater ,I'm aware of who The Bandidos or "The Fat Mexican" as they like to call themselves are. I was more referring to all the drug war violence that is popular along the Tex-Mex border towns. We will pass through El Paso/Juarez on our trip and they have had a lot of bad peoples there lately. I would be way less worried about the 1% ers than the druggies.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:09 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I love El Paso, lived there twice. Killing is normal there but so is good food and cheap beer. Everyone has a gun on them, everyone, did I say everyone, and so will I.

Originally Posted by redman53
Thanks Tater ,I'm aware of who The Bandidos or "The Fat Mexican" as they like to call themselves are. I was more referring to all the drug war violence that is popular along the Tex-Mex border towns. We will pass through El Paso/Juarez on our trip and they have had a lot of bad peoples there lately. I would be way less worried about the 1% ers than the druggies.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:21 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Chuck there ya go thinking again, everyone starts at the same spot and finishes in the same spot, ya ride how ya want in between. Simple. Actually Jay Paul and Eddie did the ride out to Sturgis and they still drank beer together when they got there, after riding was over for the day. I understand what you are sayin though, I tend to ride til I get tired then sleep then ride again til I get tired, its just a ride and just riding.
Sorry about the 'thinking'. (Won't do it near you.)
That is why I asked though. If this is a group ride, but nobody rides together, and just gets together at the end.....this may not be for me, since I am not riding to the same destination. I am riding to San Antonio TX, and turning left. Personally, I am a 3AM-3PM rider on a trip like this. Start at 3AM....ride til I eat breakfast. Once the sun starts coming up, I feel like it is time to 'get out of bed' and the second wind hits. Ride until 3PM (ish)..get a room, dinner and beers. Bed at 8PM.....up at 3AM...repeat.
Like I mentioned, never having ridden more that a few hundred miles with a group, I asked what was expected. My goal would be to get to (near) Lake Charles LA... more likely just shy of there. My bike will still be under warranty.....so I might just ride down the interstate in second gear the way I feel about the bike right now!
Anyhow, just looking for input. (I am done thinking now...)

chuck

Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I love El Paso, lived there twice. Killing is normal there but so is good food and cheap beer. Everyone has a gun on them, everyone, did I say everyone, and so will I.
Jerry do all the states we are gonna pass through honor FL CCW Permits, or do you know? (and if you don't know, who the hell else would?) If the answer is yes I will also be packing...if the answer is no...hmmmm...being an upstanding citizen I wouldn't want to violate any laws....

Quick Reply: Arizona Ride 2012