"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Arizona Ride 2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:10 AM
redman53
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by themensh
I am not real good at math....but if we ride 70 MPH for five hours, and stop to eat/gas up and whatever for an hour, our average is 58 MPH (70X5devidedby6=58). If we stop for the night somewhere.....add those 'none moving' hours into the equasion. Average speed can drop pretty quick. Say we ride 70 MPH for 10 hours and devide that by 24 (one day)...sleeping/eating/buying a t-shirt)...that averages 29 MPH for the day.
Is that math correct?
(I am only going to Texas, so I can ride half as fast as you all and get there at or about the same time you get to Arizona...quanset hut physics.)

chuck the mensh
Your making my head hurt.....

I have been doing a little investigating on how to hook up a CB on Da King for this trip, it seems that a lot of folks are using the Midland 75-822 Portable CB unit and having good luck with it. Has anyone on here used this unit? I have also ordered an IMC HS_140 headset to use with it, any feedback on that would also be appreciated. I'm thinking about putting the unit in the left side saddle bag and also using an external antenna , seems like I will have to fabricate some kind of mounting plate for the antenna mostly likely on the rear of the bike. Anybody that can share any experience with trying to do a project like this I would appreciate your input.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:07 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by redman53
Your making my head hurt.....

I have been doing a little investigating on how to hook up a CB on Da King for this trip, it seems that a lot of folks are using the Midland 75-822 Portable CB unit and having good luck with it. Has anyone on here used this unit? I have also ordered an IMC HS_140 headset to use with it, any feedback on that would also be appreciated. I'm thinking about putting the unit in the left side saddle bag and also using an external antenna...
Sounds like a project we might ALL consider. I'm sure the midland unit performs well, but the controls don't seem well suited for motorcycle use. And if you put it in your saddlebag, you won't be able to make any adjustments on-the-fly. I'm thinking that a motorcycle unit like this JM might be worth the extra bucks. Hopefully it will work as good as it looks!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:54 AM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
Sounds like a project we might ALL consider. I'm sure the midland unit performs well, but the controls don't seem well suited for motorcycle use. And if you put it in your saddlebag, you won't be able to make any adjustments on-the-fly. I'm thinking that a motorcycle unit like this JM might be worth the extra bucks. Hopefully it will work as good as it looks!

Thanks for the tip Steve...butttttttttt....I'm thinking I can get an acceptable system for way less than what JM is asking...I'm pretty sure I can Ram mount it to the handlebar if I wanna go that route...as far as putting it in the saddlebag and not having access to the controls...it will be one less distraction, and also out of the weather. I'm thinking that once I'm moving all I want is to be able to talk to my fellow riders...one channel should do that..

Old 05-14-2011, 11:44 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

The CB will be a great thing to have on a trip like that. I cant wait! only 11 months left. Better start putting the pennies away.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Doubt do the CB thing old school here use the old hand signals but still looking forward to the ride..

Old 05-14-2011, 09:58 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Doubt do the CB thing old school here use the old hand signals but still looking forward to the ride..
Jay how can you pass up 2300 miles of witty repartee with Dale and I?

Old 05-15-2011, 12:33 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by redman53
Jay how can you pass up 2300 miles of witty repartee with Dale and I?
Will be so far ahead of you two will just wait for your report when you catch up

Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

Here is an updated list. Please check to see if your name is in the right place.

Going............................................ Wants to go

Greg.............................................. . Philip
Brenda............................................ Sefferdog
Dale.............................................. .. 2 Beers
MB................................................ .. Eddie
Chuck the Mensh............................... Kered
FLA Girl............................................ Thundermug
Jay Stronghawk................................. Trish
SP
Reese
Brandi
BertK
SoFla
JD

Old 05-15-2011, 02:28 AM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SP
Let me know how the CB setup works. I would like to set something up on my EGlide. I was looking at the Midland as well . Not sure about the headset or mount though. Couldnt see where the unit is voice activated. May be push to talk so handlebar mount would be necessary. I just started looking into this and am interested what you find out.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Slowryder and I drove a big truck for years before she went back to college so we can teach y'all all the CB Jargon. We can teach y'all all about Bears and chicken shacks and you will even know what your 20 is. 10-4 Good Buddies.

Quick Reply: Arizona Ride 2012