"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Need helmet advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Skrimshaw
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need helmet advice...

I know this isn't the best place to ask for advice, but I don't want to have a hundred non-sense posts. Right now, I wear a rain bucket...which means the only protection I get is from a sunburn. Anyone have suggestions? Is Arai helmets still the best? What's the advantages/disadvantages between full/3/4and half? Before I drop a few hundred on a helmet I want to make sure I thought it put properly.

I kinda like this one:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Old 10-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Bznitch
Road Master

It's mostly personal preference and finding your comfort level. Do you like wearing glasses? Do you care if bugs hit your face? Get into a store with a selection and try them all on to find the style and size that fits. Then find that one cheap online

Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bznitch
It's mostly personal preference and finding your comfort level. Do you like wearing glasses? Do you care if bugs hit your face? Get into a store with a selection and try them all on to find the style and size that fits. Then find that one cheap online
For me, when I was looking for a full face I went to the Helment Shop in Daytona and tried on a lot of different helments.

http://www.helmetshop.com/

C'ya on the road

Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

This is THE VERY place for you to come for advise and oppinions!
Helmets, and their fitting...is very subjective. You have to try them on, and somehow, imagine how they are going to feel in 4 hours. I have thrown out many helmets, that I thought I liked but after a couple hours, put pressure on my forehead or ears or made the road noise louder by echoing. So, I ride with a half shell....and although I know it is not the safest thing, I also acknowledge the risks of life and ride anyway.
The Helmet shop in Daytona is a friendly store and if you get a chance to stop in, walk around the shop for a few hours wearing a helmet...I would stop down for lunch or dinner somewhere.

chuck the mensh

Old 10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
KeywestBen
Cruiser

The Helmet Shop in Daytona sold me a full face with inner shield and I like the helmet a lot but the inner shield device is defective and they do not stand by what they sell!

blue_streak

Old 10-24-2010, 06:06 PM
flagirl
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, since you asked for opinions, here is mine.

I wear a HJ full face helmet mostly for safety and protection of any mouth/jaw/nose injuries but also for comfort. My eyes can't tolerate the wind or debris and I don't like the taste of bugs. Also, I can listen to my ipod/talk to my husband (helmet to helmet intercom) with a full face.

My husband on the other hand, cannot stand full face and feels claustrophobic. He's wearing buckets/three-quarters/modulars (or nothing which really p*sses me off). He's starting to come around to the modular

Personally, I LOVE the HJC I-16 (I think that's the model #) because it has the built in sunglasses so I don't need to worry about them when riding. It's lightweight, great ventilation, not much noise and very comfortable.

I did go through about 5 different helmets before I settled on this one, however. The HJC is moderately price (about $150-200). I tried on a Shoei and Arai but honestly couldn't find the difference in comfort from the HJC so I settled on that one.

Some other things to consider is your riding location. Are you doing a lot of city or highway driving? If it's city, then the full face is hell on earth. If it's highway, then the full face is comfy with the vents. Do you have a windshield? If so, then you probably can get away with a half/ three-quarter since that may deflect wind/debris/etc.

As others have said, and speaking from experience, helmets are like gun holsters, you're going to end up with a box of them before you find the one you stick with for life.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Skrimshaw
Road Captain

Thanks guys and flagirl, this is the exact kind of in[ut I was hoping for. Just the questions I didn't ask. I do have a shoei full face, but after awhile I feel like a bobble head.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:49 PM
SteveinNKC
Advanced

I have a Scorpion Half, a Bell 3/4, and Fulmer Modular Full. Since I live in a helmet state, I have to wear one, so I figure I'll wear a DOT helment. I also live in a fairly large city. When I ride to work in rush hour, I almost always wear the Fulmer Full Face. When going out for a recreational ride, I like the Scopion half.
I have owned many different helmets over the years. HJC always seemed to fit me and a not too expensive. The Fulmer Modular is one of the most comfortable helmets I have ever had. Scorpion make a Modular helment that is a combo Full and 3/4 helment. The Scorpion helmets also have a built in sun screen, had to descibe but a cool feature. That one looks interesting for longer trips. I would recommend hitting local Motorcyle shops in you area and try some on and see what you like and that fits. When I go helmet shopping, the non Harley Motorcycle shops tend to have more selection. Also, if you have a style you like, you can always order a different color.
Depending on how hot it gets in your area, darker colors are hotter than lighter colors, so a white helmet may not look a good, but will be more comfortable on a really hot day.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Spunky D'Lux
Cruiser

I got a 3/4 helmet ( Z1R Ace) for Christmas last year and really like it.......I wanted to still be able to feel some air on my face but not be blasted with it and bugs. I am able to listen to my music from my ipod and also can talk to Jay using our scala and there is no wind noise at all across the mic (also great to use for phone). On our recent trip to Sebring it warmed up quite a bit and I opened the vents on top and just raised the visor a little bit....got more circulation and cooled off.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:35 PM
KeywestBen
Cruiser

flagril (Christine) That is the exact helmet I have the HJC I-16 with the inner visor and as I said I love it but the tips on the visor which attaches to the track keeps breaking off without me touching them for cleaning or removing. I have had three of them break off, have you had any problems like that? I think mine is defective and I guess I will have to go back to HJC.

blue_streak

Quick Reply: Need helmet advice...