"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

First Dealer-required Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 PM
OldSalt
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wendellja
Chief,
Call, make your appointment and tell them you have 9XX miles on it.... That way you tried to have it serviced at 1k miles, but the service couldn't squeeze you in.
Good idea. Think I'll try that one tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Bill all BS aside, get a manual and learn your bike, it will save you money in the long run and give you peace of mind.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep all your receipts for your change if you do yourself. keep a log. i was always told if any service within the warrenty work. you must keep a log and receipts of your purchase. its just to cover your ***. if an engine part fails and they show no work done on computer. they will say its not covered.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 PM
OldSalt
Road Captain

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Bill all BS aside, get a manual and learn your bike, it will save you money in the long run and give you peace of mind.
And the Wife ALREADY complains about no room in the garage anymore since the bike came along! This is gonna be fun, in a sick sorta way.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Thiss forum is a great source , you can build a bike from the info on here, you can also find many ways to spend money by the advice on here too so be careful.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:58 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I do most of own maintenance getting the 1K done by the dealer is not a bad thing as long as trust the wrenches putting their hands on it .. If have a truly good wrench go over it usually if there are going to be problems the 1K can be the most critical service of all ... But you can over under whatever .. I had my 1K Service done by Gainesville Harley at 500 Miles ( Freebie ) After that it's my turn .. But as was said save your receipts and make a short log of work done and will find yourself enjoying that the sweet ride you are running down the road on is purring so nicely by the hands that love it most ..

Old 07-27-2010, 09:04 PM
OldSalt
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
I do most of own maintenance getting the 1K done by the dealer is not a bad thing as long as trust the wrenches putting their hands on it .. If have a truly good wrench go over it usually if there are going to be problems the 1K can be the most critical service of all ... But you can over under whatever .. I had my 1K Service done by Gainesville Harley at 500 Miles ( Freebie ) After that it's my turn .. But as was said save your receipts and make a short log of work done and will find yourself enjoying that the sweet ride you are running down the road on is purring so nicely by the hands that love it most ..
Jay,
So far ST. Aug HD are the only ones to touch it. They did the delivery to me from ENCS back in April. Then they put it back together for me in May. I'm having a speedometer problem with it now which they say is probably a dirty sensor. I'll find out just how good they are once this service gets done. Curious to see what all they do to it. I know it's more than just an oil change. BH.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:03 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have saved so much money by doing my own maintenance. Your Owner's Manual has everything you need listed, and a lot of the crew here can physically show you where the drain plugs are located if that is slightly confusing for you.

Other than fluids, the rest of what the steelers will do are "checks". Knowing how to do these checks yourself will be rewarding. Again, the owner's manual does a pretty good job explaining what is necessary to check.

None of it is hard, doing it yourself is NOT a void-warranty issue, and best of all..... at least attempting to do these things yourself is way-better that the steeler simply marking off the check-box claiming they did something on the list but never went near it.

Service rates are beyond ridiculous, the service itself is a crap shoot, and no one will care about all of it as much as you do.

Best of luck.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:24 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BTW: I meant no offense to your wrenching abilities by saying what I did about the drain plugs. On my new Street Glide, I actually had to double-check with someone because on the cruisers, the transmission actually has two plugs almost side-by-side. One has the magnet end, the other is simply some sort of entry point. When you're upside down and backwards, the drain plugs made me stair at them for a bit before I knew which one to pull.

In other words, even some of us who have done this hundreds of times can use some help once in a while. Like MB said, there is enough shared info on this forum to rebuild any Harley out there.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:22 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I would let the dealer do the 1000 and then do all the rest yourself. I enjoy doing my own and I know its done right.

Quick Reply: First Dealer-required Service