"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

My favorite possesion

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My favorite possesion

I had to write a paper on "my favorite possession" for my English class and thought I would share it with y'all. I hope you like it! Let me know what you think.....Trash or Literature? I do not know why I can not indent my paragraphs, but it will not hold them when I save, sorry.

David
ENC 0020
19 JULY 2010
Favorite Possession Paper

The water in the glass on the table rippled. “What the?! Not again,” exclaimed Helen, my next door neighbor, as I arrived home on my Harley-Davidson causing her house to shake. Helen moved to Florida in order to enjoy a peaceful retirement and it was just dumb luck that I was never at home whenever the real estate agent showed Helen her property. I believe Helen when she says that she had no idea what was going on at the neighbors when she bought her house. I do have sympathy for Helen and I have even gone so far as to modify my schedule, somewhat. Nevertheless at the end of every day I am thankful that I own a Harley-Davidson motorcycle! Even though I find myself undergoing re-education at the age of 45 because of an accident in January 2010 on my Harley-Davidson, I am willing to do whatever it takes to continue riding. This is because my Harley-Davidson is more than just transportation to me. My Harley-Davidson provides me with an escape from reality whenever needed, it provides a great way to travel, and it offers endless opportunities to make some great new friends.

While it is true that many consider my Harley-Davidson obnoxiously loud, all that I experience is pure pleasure while riding it. The thunderous roar as I snap the throttle precedes my arrival everywhere that I ride. I can not think of any better form of therapy for achieving a clear mind than Riding my Harley-Davidson. Untold amounts of joy can be experienced by a simple twist while on the open road. Everyday problems melt away as the fuel ignites, the exhaust roars, and true freedom is finally achieved. Life is reduced to nothing more than a particular thrill that can only be experienced with the combination of man, machine, and the open road. Whenever the daily grind of life bears down on me, I do not worry because relief is only a short ride away.

Although there are those who would disagree with me, I think that motorcycle touring is the best way to travel. Not only can new places be seen, they can be experienced. An example of this is the first whiff of salt air that is perceived when approaching a coastal area. When in areas with rolling hills or numerous bridges, temperature variations can be plainly detected from one minute to the next, these changes really make you appreciate how acute the senses really are. Breathtaking sunrises, sunny days, and awesome sunsets are all more enjoyable while astride two wheels. The smells of everyday life such as when rumbling past a bakery, a roadside barbecue cooker, and fresh cut grass are all more prevalent when on two wheels as opposed to being shut up inside a car. The obvious downsides to traveling on a motorcycle are rain, blowing sand and leaves, and insects. However, these are all well worth the risk to me when traveling on my Harley-Davidson. My Harley-Davidson is easy to park and fuel efficient at around 45 miles per gallon. For all of these reasons I think that sitting on my Harley-Davidson is the only way to travel.

Of all the friends I have met over the course of my lifetime, the best ones all ride motorcycles. Some may claim that everyone that rides a Harley-Davidson is of questionable character. I once read that,” Character is what God knows about you,” if that is the case then the Good Lord knows that so called “bikers” are actually a better adjusted and more caring crowd than the average group. The guys that I ride with the majority of the time reside all over the state of Florida and we refer to ourselves as The Florida Crew. When I was hospitalized in January of 2010, my brothers and sisters from The Florida Crew supported my wife, Carolyn, both emotionally and financially through one of the most difficult times of her life. The support and compassion that that The Florida Crew displayed for these three months is typical of the behavior that I have come to expect from this group of people. The Florida Crew visited me frequently and raised cash to help out with our household bills that did not seem to know that I was in the hospital. I could write an entire book about the good deeds that I have witnessed first hand that bikers have done, but this example should serve as proof that bikers can represent all that is good in people.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate the fact that I truly love my Harley-Davidson motorcycle. After 35 years of riding experience and dozens of different makes and models of motorcycles, I feel that my Harley-Davidson has a special feel about it that is prevalent in no other brand. Some go as far as to say that Harley-Davidsons actually have their own soul. I do not know about that, but I do know that my Harley-Davidson has a special corner all to its own in my heart. Even after a life changing accident which resulted in two broken leg bones, a broken hip, five broken ribs, a serious case of road rash, and a terrible headache which still lingers, I still look forward to spending my extra time participating in therapy, Harley-Davidson style! When asked what my favorite possession is, I do not even have to think because that is easy. It would be my black 2007 Harley-Davidson Softail Custom.

Last edited by Just Dave; 07-25-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Ruralmed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The examples of using all your senses while riding is right on. I agree that a nice ride is the best therapy, however, over the years a short ride does not seem enough. I guess I just need more therapy than you.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:03 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Dam Dave, that is a nice write up. If you offer the teacher a ride you will get an A+, if its a guy settle for an A.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:17 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. I think you mention Harley-Davidson about 16 times, which seems a bit much. Maybe do some abbreviations to just HD and it would make it a bit easier to read. I do agree with you concerning your senses and feelings that you describe in the letter.

Good job! RD

Old 07-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

I agree about the HD thing being to much, but in formal writing you have to spell it out. I learned this the hard way throughout the semester. Thanks for the positive feedback Randy.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Bznitch
Road Master

Very well written. At first I thought you used ' Harley-Davidson' a tad too much as well, however the appropriate replacement word would be 'motorcycle' or a provided name of it which would in fact contradict the fact it IS your 'Harley-Davidson'. Bravo!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Just Dave
I agree about the HD thing being to much, but in formal writing you have to spell it out. I learned this the hard way throughout the semester. Thanks for the positive feedback Randy.
I know what you mean. THE bad part is that most people will never understand why we do , what we do.

Keep writing. You seem to have a knack for it. Many do not.

Stay at it. RD

Old 07-26-2010, 04:27 AM
throttlejunkie
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's a helluva CREW you ride with Dave !!!

great paper too..

Old 07-26-2010, 05:55 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great paper Dave. The "toughness" of the group should have been included in there somewhere; in case we need to roll-up next to the teacher to share our disappointment if you only get a "B".

Heeeee heeeee heeee

Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

LOL, Tough guy huh? You forget that I know you Poorboy. She graded it last week and they give a 1 to 5, 1 is poor and 5 is good, She give it a five, I only wish that you could abbreviate in these things, I had to do one about" a person who has had a positive influence on my life" and that paper say's "Carolyn' like 60 times. That paper is considerably longer than this one. Seems way to much. If you dont put it in every sentence the teacher marks "Who are you talking about"? Or "what are you talking about"? I am glad that Y'all like it.

Quick Reply: My favorite possesion