"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

HD Rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD Rant

This rant is about Harley Davidson in general, Sunrise HD in particular:

When I bought my Road King the salesman told me I have 2 year warranty, unlimited mileage. Everything except items that can wear out are covered (brakes , belts ect). The area near the two furthest out bolts on the windshield (left and right) developed cracks in the shield. I called HD HQ to open a ticket which they did. But told me to go to the dealer and have them take pictures, which they did. I got a call back that they will not cover it under warranty. Since when do windshields wear out? I had already ordered a new recurve windshield and was going to send my brother the new one for his RK. But it's the thought of them not standing by the warranty.

Now for Sunrise HD in particular. I had them do the 1,000 and 5,000 mile maintenance for me. But a few things came up that lead me to believe that neither time they did the full check list as indicated in the manual. So I started doing my own oil changes. The service manager has repeatedly asked me why I do my own fluids and I tell him "they are too expensive, besides I prefer Mobil One Syn". He tells me "We can put in Mobil One for you" I never bothered telling him I don't trust them.

So now, needing a 20K maintenance, I changed my own oil and put in Screaming Eagle spark plugs. I was going to attempt the adjustments myself but need some more tools so figured at 188.00 for 2 hours, I would have them do it. I dropped the bike of at 8AM the other morning and was told "If you're gonna wait, bring a book 'cause its a true 2 hours. Having not heard from them, I called them at 3PM. I'm told my bike has not gone in yet. At 4:45 they call me and tell me it's ready. So OK, an hour and 45 minutes and they finished (Assuming they brought it in as soon as I hung up). So I said "Is it ready to be picked up, has it been wash?". I'm told yes, it is all set. I head there to pick it up at 5:30 and it is still in the garage. The bike is real clean, and the seat is soaked, so they did a good (long) wash on it. So take an other 30 minutes or so off and we are just over an hour doing the maintenance. Again, I'm fine with this as long as they did EVERYTHING listed in the manual. But one of the things I told them was the clutch lever was lose and I did not seem to have much "friction zone". I get out and ride the bike and it is the exact same way as when I brought it in. I have no way of knowing what they did in the hour plus that they worked on it. But the clutch and lever were not adjusted, I don't know if the drive belt was adjusted, I don't even know if they lubed the steering. For all I know I paid 188.00 to get it washed.

It seems to me they waited all day on it, then it came close to the end of the day and rushed it out the door. So I think it's time to go in and tell them why (besides cost) I am doing more and more myself and not going to them. They lack integrity.

I think I have gotten screwed every time I have brought it in for maintenance service. I'm at the point I will never bring it back there unless it's to do something that is verifiable.

End of rant... but yesterday the more I rode, the more pissed off I became at them.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:25 PM
HDRick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think we have all been there at one time or another. I also do my own fluids, but wish I had more tools and a good lift to do other jobs I give to my dealer. Keep looking until you find someone you trust, that tells you the truth without blowing smoke up your a$$ and emptying your wallet. Keep riding. It eases the pain.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

This is why I do all my own maintenance. And if I run into a problem I go to my indy. $188 will buy a lot of tools.

Last edited by Bertk; 07-09-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:54 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I hear ya. First off, I believe an awful lot of things on that "list" were put there by lawyers, not mechanics.

I have put a lot of time into learning my bike's systems, and do that checklist, item by item, by myself. Most times, not much more than fluid changes, clutch cable lube & adjustment, and a good set of eyeballs on my tires and brakes.

If (or when) something major breaks; I'll turn the bike in for that. That way I'll have immediate proof that they fixed it. LOL

That long check list is a marketing ploy, if nothing else. How else can the steelerships justify those HIGH prices for everything they (claim to) do?

Old 07-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HDRick
Think we have all been there at one time or another. I also do my own fluids, but wish I had more tools and a good lift to do other jobs I give to my dealer. Keep looking until you find someone you trust, that tells you the truth without blowing smoke up your a$$ and emptying your wallet. Keep riding. It eases the pain.
Bring it on over Rick. I have plenty of tools, and a jack.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Phlip96
Outstanding HDF Member

steve-o I got a great Indy right here in Margate, it's a drive for you but I trust this guy with...well my bike which inherently carries my life. Honest, goes beyond standard procedure and will shoot ya straight.
Good for you getting the lubes done yourself, time to realize what Paul (poorboy) said is true and it's all quite simple and the price of one full service will give you the tools you need. All you need now is time to do it yourself.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:19 PM
throttlejunkie
Road Warrior

Schwinn's have windshields ??????????

Old 07-09-2010, 06:03 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by THROTTLEJUNKIEDAVE
Only as an additional option. They come standard on Huffy's.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Mebeebo
Road Master

Originally Posted by THROTTLEJUNKIEDAVE
It's a Huffy Dave and it is carbon fiber!!!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:10 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Phlip96
steve-o I got a great Indy right here in Margate, it's a drive for you but I trust this guy with...well my bike which inherently carries my life. Honest, goes beyond standard procedure and will shoot ya straight.
Good for you getting the lubes done yourself, time to realize what Paul (poorboy) said is true and it's all quite simple and the price of one full service will give you the tools you need. All you need now is time to do it yourself.
Time I've got. Working from home I have options. In fact when I lived up north I remodeled my entire basement, including sub-flooring, sheetrock walls and ceiling (with recessed lighting) during 2 - 40 hour work weeks. It really sucked when I sold the house and the inspected noted on the report that it looked like a "weekend project".

But you guys are right, it's worth investing in the tools, but I will gladly use your indy in the future. I was all set to do it myself and was reading my repair manual and for the belt it showed some adjusting tool I had no idea where to get.

Quick Reply: HD Rant