"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

HD Rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jor71
It's a Huffy Dave and it is carbon fiber!!!
If you want, I'll see if I can get you a carbon fiber windshield for that bike of yours.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:58 AM
cogener8
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my windshield and was also refused warranty. My dealer said he wasnt satisfied with HD's response and gave me a new one free of charge. Im from Illinois and was checking your forum out as the wife and I are heading your way on the 26th. Just lookin for info.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Steve, dont take this the wrong way but you are a geek of the highest order, dont go past oils, use the Phil's indy. Hell I might even check this guy out. If he can maintain Phils bike he must be good. A good rule of thumb for you is that if it requires a tool that is not in your 19 peice Kmart tool set dont do it.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:43 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Good dealer, welcome to Fla when you get here, you riding down?

Originally Posted by cogener8
I had the same problem with my windshield and was also refused warranty. My dealer said he wasnt satisfied with HD's response and gave me a new one free of charge. Im from Illinois and was checking your forum out as the wife and I are heading your way on the 26th. Just lookin for info.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:09 AM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

a short story:
I took my bike into a indy...for I think, it was somewhere around 20K service.
I went to pick up the bike...and the owner/mech asked me it was "testing" them? I said...what do you mean? Well, one of the steps of the service, is to lube the gas cap hinge. (why? I don't know)..well...I always kept a 20 bill under my gas cap, in case of emergency...that I ran out of 20s in my wallet! Well, he went to lube my gas cap hinge and found my twenty. Of course, he thought after the service, I would check to see if the twenty was there. I was amazed 1: That he lubed the hinge (followed the book). And that 2: he gave my twenty back. LOL
I got on the bike to ride away, and almost thought my clutch cable had broken. They lubed and adjusted it perfectly.
The shop is Hedonist Cycles in Port Orange (Volusia County).
I have also had stuff done at Destination Daytona, with no complaints.

Chuck

Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Steve, dont take this the wrong way but you are a geek of the highest order, dont go past oils, use the Phil's indy. Hell I might even check this guy out. If he can maintain Phils bike he must be good. A good rule of thumb for you is that if it requires a tool that is not in your 19 peice Kmart tool set dont do it.
No wrong way to take it, We each have our own specialties, mine's writing "geek" coding. (But believe it or not, I'm good with electrical stuff).

Last motor work I did before my Harley had a collaborator, and I had hair down to my shoulders Once I F'd it up, I would sputter up to my uncle's house were he would F it up some more most of the times.

Forget adjusting anything, I'm still trying to figure out how to get the hex bolt I round off to put on the foot-board extensions. The vice grips I bought at the gas station yesterday grip it nicely, but I have no room to turn it. May have to save the extensions for my next bike.

I agree with using Phil's Indy, I need someone I can trust, and don't believe that is where I bought the bike.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:28 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Well if you jump on bike and bring it over I am sure we can get it fixed.

Originally Posted by SoFla
No wrong way to take it, I agree. I write software code all day long. I don't expect too many MC mechanics to do that. We each have our own specialties.

Last motor work I did before my Harley had a collaborator, and I had hair down to my shoulders Once I F'd it up, I would sputter up to my uncle's house were he would F it up some more most of the times.

Forget adjusting anything, I'm still trying to figure out how to get the hex bolt I round off to put on the foot-board extensions. The vice grips I bought at the gas station yesterday grip it nicely, but I have no room to turn it. May have to save the extensions for my next bike.

I agree with using Phil's Indy, I need someone I can trust, and don't believe that is where I bought the bike.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:33 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Well if you jump on bike and bring it over I am sure we can get it fixed.
Thanks. Right now I am trying to knock off a work project I dropped last week. I thought it would take me a half hour today, but giving me issues. I'll know how it's going in about an hour . Guess I should get off the forum and pay attention to my project for that to work so I can finish it. I'll report back ASAP.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:21 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

OK, got it done and transferring my work to Canada (I can get to my international destination faster than you).

I can be there in about 30 minutes.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:13 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SoFla
This rant is about Harley Davidson in general, Sunrise HD in particular:

When I bought my Road King the salesman told me I have 2 year warranty, unlimited mileage. Everything except items that can wear out are covered (brakes , belts ect). The area near the two furthest out bolts on the windshield (left and right) developed cracks in the shield. I called HD HQ to open a ticket which they did. But told me to go to the dealer and have them take pictures, which they did. I got a call back that they will not cover it under warranty. Since when do windshields wear out? I had already ordered a new recurve windshield and was going to send my brother the new one for his RK. But it's the thought of them not standing by the warranty.

Now for Sunrise HD in particular. I had them do the 1,000 and 5,000 mile maintenance for me. But a few things came up that lead me to believe that neither time they did the full check list as indicated in the manual. So I started doing my own oil changes. The service manager has repeatedly asked me why I do my own fluids and I tell him "they are too expensive, besides I prefer Mobil One Syn". He tells me "We can put in Mobil One for you" I never bothered telling him I don't trust them.

So now, needing a 20K maintenance, I changed my own oil and put in Screaming Eagle spark plugs. I was going to attempt the adjustments myself but need some more tools so figured at 188.00 for 2 hours, I would have them do it. I dropped the bike of at 8AM the other morning and was told "If you're gonna wait, bring a book 'cause its a true 2 hours. Having not heard from them, I called them at 3PM. I'm told my bike has not gone in yet. At 4:45 they call me and tell me it's ready. So OK, an hour and 45 minutes and they finished (Assuming they brought it in as soon as I hung up). So I said "Is it ready to be picked up, has it been wash?". I'm told yes, it is all set. I head there to pick it up at 5:30 and it is still in the garage. The bike is real clean, and the seat is soaked, so they did a good (long) wash on it. So take an other 30 minutes or so off and we are just over an hour doing the maintenance. Again, I'm fine with this as long as they did EVERYTHING listed in the manual. But one of the things I told them was the clutch lever was lose and I did not seem to have much "friction zone". I get out and ride the bike and it is the exact same way as when I brought it in. I have no way of knowing what they did in the hour plus that they worked on it. But the clutch and lever were not adjusted, I don't know if the drive belt was adjusted, I don't even know if they lubed the steering. For all I know I paid 188.00 to get it washed.

It seems to me they waited all day on it, then it came close to the end of the day and rushed it out the door. So I think it's time to go in and tell them why (besides cost) I am doing more and more myself and not going to them. They lack integrity.

I think I have gotten screwed every time I have brought it in for maintenance service. I'm at the point I will never bring it back there unless it's to do something that is verifiable.

End of rant... but yesterday the more I rode, the more pissed off I became at them.
I do almost everything on my bike and what I dont or cant I take my scoot to petersons harley in miami gardens. I speak with Owen (svc Mgr) and he gets it done correctly. I have never had an issue with them in over ten years...

Quick Reply: HD Rant