"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Thought I was gonna die...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010 | 04:43 PM
jumpmasterjay
|
Tourer
Default Thought I was gonna die...

Thought I was gonna die...

No kidding. We were doing that ride up to Florida National Cemetery , my wife and I were about 3/4 of the way toward the rear of the formation (of about 400-600 bikes). We have traffic at the on-ramps backed up at every on-ramp and I was expecting trouble.

At one on-ramp, an older red Dodge/Chrysler mini-van (hauling lattice) bypassed all the other traffic waiting to enter I-75 and decided to cut right in front of me (my wife was 2 seconds behind me). This a-hole not only pulls in front of me, but then can't accelerate fast enough to make his little "maneuver" work (if your minivan doesn't have *****, don't lie to yourself and pretend it does).

I can't jump into the left lane because of other traffic so I squeezed the front brake and pressed the rear brake. The distance was closing too fast (I'm slowing and he isn't accelerating), so I pressed harder on the rear brake and squeezed harder on the front brake. The pavement was damp (from the morning dew) and I soon locked the rear brake. The tail end was getting squirrelly, so I kept the front tire straight and kept on the brakes. Finally, I slowed enough so I wouldn't hit the guy.

When we got to Bushnell, some folks told me they thought i was a goner. Others were impressed on how I could slow my bike like that. If I ever find that a-hole, he's meat. He's lucky I didn't follow him home (but I do have his plate number firmly in my head)....

Lessons learned:
(1) Always expect the a-hole to do the unexpected. I was ready for him, but I figured he was at least going to accelerate THEN merge (not merge then accelerate).
(2) Practice quick stops (and emergency maneuvers). I just took the MSF Experienced Rider's Course a month ago because the Army now requires it every two years (thanks Army)....practice, practice, practice.
(3) Cover your front brake when things look dicey...it'll buy you a fraction of a second.
(4) If you lock the rear wheel....keep it locked & keep your front tire straight!

Old 05-31-2010 | 04:52 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Way to keep your cool Jay, ya gotta watch those mini vans and any German car. Good advice on the brakes, does the Army pay for the ERC, seems like a good investment in maintaining guberment property so they should pay for it. Hope to meet ya some day, stay safe and kick ***.

Old 05-31-2010 | 04:58 PM
mickymoto
Tourer

What a dumb ***!..he should have waited a couple of minutes & enjoy the passing parade...have you now got a flat spot on your rear tyre?

Old 05-31-2010 | 05:08 PM
Arv
Road Captain

Go do the lotto, your a lucky guy, im just pleased im reading a happy ending..
Ride safe Bro!!

Old 05-31-2010 | 05:18 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

******** like that are everywhere, glad you saved it!!!

Old 05-31-2010 | 05:44 PM
jumpmasterjay
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Way to keep your cool Jay, ya gotta watch those mini vans and any German car. Good advice on the brakes, does the Army pay for the ERC, seems like a good investment in maintaining guberment property so they should pay for it. Hope to meet ya some day, stay safe and kick ***.
MB- All services are doing this (including Sportbike Riders Courses) and time off work counts as a duty day!

Old 05-31-2010 | 06:09 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Probably a good idea, seen some shocking stats on the troops (ypunguns) and bikes. Glad you are okay today, will do the ERC myself soon.

Originally Posted by wendellja
MB- All services are doing this (including Sportbike Riders Courses) and time off work counts as a duty day!

Old 06-01-2010 | 02:50 PM
HDRick
Road Warrior

Glad your okay. Your right about always expect an ******* to appear at anytime. You were prepared.

Old 06-01-2010 | 03:31 PM
Phlip96
Outstanding HDF Member

Good work wendellja! I wonder with a few witnesses what could be done legally about the a-hole now since you have his plate. No proving the owner was driving though so probably little to none. Just be glad your still around to BE mad at him.

Old 06-01-2010 | 03:35 PM
Mebeebo
Road Master

I am glad to read that nothing happened to you.

Quick Reply: Thought I was gonna die...