"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

stage 1 ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:16 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stage 1 ??

just a quick question here. I have the stage 1 download, so that i have been told from the dealer. have the V&H pipes and the SE A/C.
i have the V&H fuel pack, but i dont have it hooked up right now. haven't had it on for awhile. my question is do i REALLY NEED to have it? it runs fine with out and with it. i dont notice any difference.
dont need you all to tell me i need to get a PCIII i cant afford it. LOL
i have what i have.
i can send the fuel pack back to be updated for about $30.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd think driving force to have the fuel pack is your SE A/C. From what I understand you might get away without a remap with just an exhaust, but its beneficial to have it mapped with an A/C plus Exhaust.

I'm sure the cats in the touring section would know better than me though...

Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

If you have the download already it should be fine for the stage 1. As long as it is running like you want there is no need for anything else. If it was running lean or hot it would be different but the stage 1 download is supposed to be sufficient.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A properly "tuned" fuel/air management system (FuelPak, PCIII, SESS, SERT, etc.) is going to improve performance and quite possibly cool you off some since the whole deal is to richen the AFR (air-fuel-ratio). Simply put, a lean engine runs hotter.

Aside from better temps, there is improvement in performance and some say better fuel mileage with Stage 1. Some of the extra (noticed) performance may be far away from your riding style. I'm with you, unless I'm really pushing upwards of 4000+ RPM going through the gears, some of the "performance" isn't really noticed.

You can find an "indy" who could program your ECM for Stage 1; thus letting you keep the "gizmos" off the bike. But pretty sure you can't do that for $30.

Bottom line, I would try to get a stock air cleaner back on if you elect to do nothing with the FuelPak. You're letting extra air in and out, forcing a lean condition which eventually won't be good for your motor.

There's tons of opinion and some scientific fact if you search other parts of the forum to give you all the pros and cons. Personally, I am sold on Stage 1; but the rest that comes with Stage 2 and Stage 3 they can keep.

Above all else..... ride safe and ride often.

Hugs man!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

hey paul good to see you on here. oh hey in july me and a suprise guest will be passing through there to NC would love to stop in and see you. we will be staying in franklin NC for a week.
thanks for the input, jsut wondering if there is a true advantage of having the stage 1 download and with or with our the fuel pack. i put it back on tonight and went around the block. it does seem more responsive. i do need to send it back and get it updated

Old 04-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Call Doc at 352-404-6999. He would be glad to answer all your questions.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:27 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldogmoe7
hey paul good to see you on here. oh hey in july me and a suprise guest will be passing through there to NC would love to stop in and see you. we will be staying in franklin NC for a week.
thanks for the input, jsut wondering if there is a true advantage of having the stage 1 download and with or with our the fuel pack. i put it back on tonight and went around the block. it does seem more responsive. i do need to send it back and get it updated
You and surprise guest are VERY welcome to spend the night at my place. I got 2 queen beds open and then two couches before the blow-up mattresses need to come out. Easy route (read twisty as hell) from my place to Franklin if ya stay on the back roads. Plenty of time to plan route. (of course if ya want to...LOL).

If the FP is working for ya, I wouldn't bother sending it back. (I think Dale said that too). Bertk has a lead for ya to follow up with.... phone calls are cheap. Heee heeee heee.

-later

Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1of2
If you have the download already it should be fine for the stage 1. As long as it is running like you want there is no need for anything else. If it was running lean or hot it would be different but the stage 1 download is supposed to be sufficient.
i guess what is making me think this is. the front exhaust cover on the front jugg is turning a slight gold color.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldogmoe7
i guess what is making me think this is. the front exhaust cover on the front jugg is turning a slight gold color.
I think a little tarnishing should be expected after 6 years, if it aint broke, don’t fix it.