"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Cool MSF perception test

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cool MSF perception test

This is Posted in General, I thought I would share here so my Crew buds would not miss out. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...he-street.html

I missed one on the Collision test on medium speed and aced the signs on my first try. Pretty neat and Kudos to Citoriplus , the OP.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:41 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just signed up to retake the MSF Course........

Just kidding....

18/20 on the collision test starting on medium, but half way thru changed it to slower. 19/20 on second try.

19/20 on the sign test. Got one wrong regarding fuel.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I took the Experienced Rider course (ERC) a couple of years ago and had a ball and learned a lot. It was a one day course and you get to use your own bike so they can point out specific bad habits you have with your machine. I would Highly recommend it to any and all riders no matter how long you have been riding. Make sure you check your attitude at the door and keep an open mind and you will be surprised how many things you think you know that you really don't. I took it with 34 years under my belt and was shocked at the # of bad habits I had developed over the years.

Last edited by Just Dave; 04-19-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 AM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just an idea here. there has been a few who have taken the course and a few that haven't
an idea for the rally would be in the back parking lot. would the ones who did take it like to share some tips on what was learned at these courses?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Just Dave
I took the Advanced course a couple of years ago and had a ball and learned a lot. It was a one day course and you get to use your own bike so they can point out specific bad habits you have with your machine. I would Highly recommend it to any and all riders no matter how long you have been riding. Make sure you check your attitude at the door and keep an open mind and you will be surprised how many things you think you know that you really don't. I took it with 34 years under my belt and was shocked at the # of bad habits I had developed over the years.
I definetly plan on taking the Advanced MSF Course down in Miami soon. As of late I have been happy with my the progression of my riding skills advancing. It seems ever since I changed out my bars I have better control. I have even scrapped my foot boards a few times. When I recently had my rear tire replaced, they commented that the middle was worn down bald, but both sides had tons of tread like a new tire. That told me I was not leaning enough in curves. I still have issues taking narrow U-turns though...

But now I feel better about taking the advanced course that I will not make too much of an *** of myself.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:10 AM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

19/20 signs
16/20 for the collision

Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bulldogmoe7
just an idea here. there has been a few who have taken the course and a few that haven't
an idea for the rally would be in the back parking lot. would the ones who did take it like to share some tips on what was learned at these courses?

You read my mind. As I was writing the above post I was thinking the same thing. I have become a better rider from what I have learned riding with the Crew. It has really increased my riding confidence. Always willing to learn mroe from the mored seasoned riders here.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 AM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SoFla
I definetly plan on taking the Advanced MSF Course down in Miami soon. As of late I have been happy with my the progression of my riding skills advancing. It seems ever since I changed out my bars I have better control. I have even scrapped my foot boards a few times. When I recently had my rear tire replaced, they commented that the middle was worn down bald, but both sides had tons of tread like a new tire. That told me I was not leaning enough in curves. I still have issues taking narrow U-turns though...

But now I feel better about taking the advanced course that I will not make too much of an *** of myself.
just watch how sharp you go at slow speeds i turned so sharp i did scrap and lifted the bike a little bit, kinda scared me there.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bulldogmoe7
just watch how sharp you go at slow speeds i turned so sharp i did scrap and lifted the bike a little bit, kinda scared me there.
During U-turns I still have an issue with turning my head far enough. I still look to the front of my bike instead of completely turning my head. Even during the turn I am aware of it, and keep trying to "talk myself into" turning my head even more.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoFla
During U-turns I still have an issue with turning my head far enough. I still look to the front of my bike instead of completely turning my head. Even during the turn I am aware of it, and keep trying to "talk myself into" turning my head even more.
It is good to here you are practicing and PLP (parking lot practice) is great. You need to master the friction zone, dragging the rear brake, and proper use of head and eyes. Your motorcycle follows your nose.

Sounds like you need to work on counter steering and using the delayed apex in a curve. A 2-wheeled anything can not turn without leaning. Even your bicycle. Like has been said in other threads. If you look at it you will hit it.

Remember in a situation your muscles will do what you always do.

If you hit the rear brake first normally then you will hit it first in an aggressive braking situation. Practice using the front brake and squeeeeeze it for braking.

One word of warning about doing tight circles. If you put your foot down it can trap your foot under the saddle bag or exhaust pipe and will require several weeks of recover time. Keeping power to the rear wheel will keep the bike up or ride out of the circle to avoid the recover time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDfyDRXapKg

I had hoped to take Motormans course this spring but so far the planets have not line up for it.

Ride Safe -- Have Fun

Quick Reply: Cool MSF perception test