"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Close call today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Mebeebo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close call today...

well, I total over 110 miles of local/side road riding. So this weekend I decided it was time for me to venture on the main traveled roads. I went in the morning, as I want to keep the traffic around me to a minimum.

Saturday I rode for approx 38 miles and really enjoyed it. I made sure to make turns at different major intersections, to get a feel of making turns from a complete stop; with traffic around me. I kept good distance and pretty much did really well.

Today, all was well and I went down to A1A, since I want to do a lot of riding on that street during the summer.

Well, there is this sharp curve and I went to make the right on the curve and did not make it around. I ended up going straight onto incoming traffic. I straighten the bike up and braked, there was an SUV heading towards me, going the opposite direction. Thankfully I stopped and so did the SUV and his front bumper almost nicked the side of my front wheel.

I was and am so pissed at myself, as I make it a goal to do things smart and allow myself time and space. Due to my indecisiveness and my lack of cutting it sooner, I almost became a statistic. You only have one chance to make a turn!

I stopped for a few minutes and decided to ride on. I rode another 28 miles without incident. I will do this ride again next weekend.

My goal is to tighten things up a bit and hopefully one day soon get together with you guys.

Thank you for listening....errr, reading.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:37 PM
cajunfla
Tourer

Glad to hear....read....nothing bad happened. Thank goodness the cager was looking. Most don't. You must have had your angel riding with you. Remember to look where you want to go, and the bike will go there. Don't look where you don't want to go. I watched a fence in a slow U-turn one day to make sure I didn't hit it. Guess what happened? Technique instead of instinct.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:51 PM
kimbo
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad your OK, sounds like you might of gone to where you were looking and not looking to where you wanted to go. My suggestion is pick-up the DVD "Ride Like a Pro". Watch it a couple of times and then find a large empty parking lot and put what you watched into action. Then go home and watch the DVD again. You will pick it up in no time. If you ever watched Equestrian horse jumpers it's very similar only your riding an Iron Horse. Turn your head and look to where you want to go. And if you fall off your horse jump right back on.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Mebeebo
Road Master

Originally Posted by cajunfla
Glad to hear....read....nothing bad happened. Thank goodness the cager was looking. Most don't. You must have had your angel riding with you. Remember to look where you want to go, and the bike will go there. Don't look where you don't want to go. I watched a fence in a slow U-turn one day to make sure I didn't hit it. Guess what happened? Technique instead of instinct.
Originally Posted by kimbo
Glad your OK, sounds like you might of gone to where you were looking and not looking to where you wanted to go. My suggestion is pick-up the DVD "Ride Like a Pro". Watch it a couple of times and then find a large empty parking lot and put what you watched into action. Then go home and watch the DVD again. You will pick it up in no time. If you ever watched Equestrian horse jumpers it's very similar only your riding an Iron Horse. Turn your head and look to where you want to go. And if you fall off your horse jump right back on.

The funny part is that I watched that video (numerous times) and had the "turn your head where you want to go" drilled in my head. I believe I was distracted for a brief second and I looked at the front end of the SUV and not were I wanted to go. But, I also believe I cut it too late. Does not make a good combination while riding.

I appreciate the inputs.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:09 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kimbo

Great advice Kimbo... my bike just turned 15.000 miles on it today. I still keep "Ride Like a Pro" next to my lap top and now and then throw in in. I have two flat screen monitors hooked ot my laptop, so I have it paly on one while I work on the other and keep checking out the video.

By th eway, I had my own "slight" close call today.... riding thru a parking lot I see the back up lights go on on a car up ahead. I gave my horn a slight beep and the guy still keeps coming. So I give it two louder beeps. Still keeps coming. So two more LOUD beeps and he hits his brakes. I headeed right to Harley to buy and air horn. They were out of chrome (black only) so when I go home I ordered one on the internet. (Same one that was at Harley.) I was surprised how inexpensive they are.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad your ok. It sounds like that would of hurt.

to what those guys have already posted. The Ride Like A Pro DVD is the best. He offers classes in New Port Richey during the Spring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDfyDRXapKg

Stay Safe

Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you are O.k. and that the thread said “close call” instead of “had a head on” . I think you will find that that one is a lesson learned and you will not be repeating that mistake again. I still learn something new every time I go riding after all these years and sometimes the close ones are the best teacher’s. Ride Safe and look forward to meeting you one day soon.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:50 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Good to here that it was nothing more than a lesson learned. The oft repeated saying "your bike is going to go where you're looking" is 100% dead on. "Target fixation" when rounding a corner, usually involving oncoming vehicles and guardrails, is the #1 cause for death & serious injuries when riding mountain twisties.

And I also add if you're riding A1A on the weekend, as a new rider, don't worry about not waving back at other oncoming riders. You've got enough other 2 piece distractions out there at this point.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Mebeebo
Road Master

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Glad you are O.k. and that the thread said “close call” instead of “had a head on” . I think you will find that that one is a lesson learned and you will not be repeating that mistake again. I still learn something new every time I go riding after all these years and sometimes the close ones are the best teacher’s. Ride Safe and look forward to meeting you one day soon.
Lesson learned for sure. I plan on going down that stretch again soon, this time focus on where I want to go and not where I do not want to go.

Also looking forward to meeting.

Originally Posted by cHarley
Good to here that it was nothing more than a lesson learned. The oft repeated saying "your bike is going to go where you're looking" is 100% dead on. "Target fixation" when rounding a corner, usually involving oncoming vehicles and guardrails, is the #1 cause for death & serious injuries when riding mountain twisties.

And I also add if you're riding A1A on the weekend, as a new rider, don't worry about not waving back at other oncoming riders. You've got enough other 2 piece distractions out there at this point.
LOL, I think I will pullover when something worthy in a 2 piece is out there. This is just for safety reasons, nothing more

Old 04-11-2010, 05:19 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Okay, I have to say it "TURN YOUR HEAD TO LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO" dont just look with teh eyes, ya have to turn your head all the way through the turn. Practice the friction zone in parking lots that are empty. You should be able to do a U turn in the span of 2 parking spaces. Keep your head on a swivel at intersections, ride defensively in parking lots, Ride offensively everywhere else once you figure out how to ride and get some miles under the belt.

Look we want the Crew to grow, cant have that happen if our newer associates are crashing nice new bikes. I have to hand it to you and Bill, ya aint scared, most people crash once the OL bitches at them "I told ya so" and sell the bike. Remember, you are invisible, you lucked out, if you were down here in the deep south of Fla like me you would have been a new hood ornament on that SUV. Stay off A1A and other crazy roads til ya get some miles under the belt.

One more bit of unsolicited advice, and I know some will flame me here but..... If you have not joined the HOG yet you should do so, there are great skills training sessions they do twice a month, I attend a half day each time I get a new Harley, they are great for slow speed skills, I mean really good. Check into your local chapter, if they dont have it, Petersons does down here and you would be welcome to attend with them, their drill team conducts it. I stay a member of the HOG for this reason as well as the fly and ride program and towing service (for when I crash).

Quick Reply: Close call today...