"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

anyone know anything about well pumps??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:15 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts
Default anyone know anything about well pumps??

I'm going to have to tear into mine. I could use some good advice from someone who knows.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:13 PM
JaxHarleyRdr
Club Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dale they are a simple pump what is it not doing?

Old 02-18-2010, 02:25 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I know if you leave a garden hose on all day then it burns the well pump up... Did that once and had to pull out over 200ft of line outa the ground and it had the submersible pump at the end so that was fun...

Anyways, have fun with it!! Glad its not me

Old 02-18-2010, 02:59 PM
FLAHOG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have an above ground pump or a submersible pump? What is your doing or not doing?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a little experience with them Dale. If you want to pm me a few more details maybe I can help. Or call me if you like. If you dont have my #, send me a pm I will give it to you.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a submersible, then it's possible that the power supply wire that goes down into the well to the pump has a short. I've replaced the wire a few times a few years ago. Or...the pump could be bad. Turn power supply OFF, Pull everything out of the ground, how far will depend on how deep your well is. Check power with multitester where wires connect to pump. If there's no power then most likely the wires have shorted out. What happens is each time that the pumps comes on there's a small amount of movement. This movement over time can cause a short if there's an area of friction on the wire. If there's power at the pump, then have someone turn power on to see if pump comes on. Hope you get it fixed, I'm on.my Blackberry and I'm tired of typing...

Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 PM
OldSalt
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know for sure is that my burst a few months ago from all the freezing. Then after I called to have it fixed, the guy that put the well in came and ripped out the impeller side a week or so ago, and I have yet to see him or the pump since. Starting to concern me, since I DO have a yard to water on occasion. Bill.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Not sure what it's doing or not doing but the first and easiest thing to check are the switch contacts inside the little gray box .. Had a well for over 15 years in the country when Lake City was a hick town wish had never sold that place sometimes.. the water was cold and spring fed, now on City water and gags a maggot won't even drink it ..

Old 02-18-2010, 11:45 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not that hard to pull if its in the ground just alot of manual labor,

Big thing is like others have asked what is it doing or not doing as there are other items with a well that could cause your issues other than the pump, including your resivor tank and psi at the tank and other items.

Tell us whats going on and we can give more advice.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Lord_Rahl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have had to put in a few myself. last one me and dad did we got a cheap hand crank and used a strong wire that we had attached to each section. that way in the future we just move the crack to a stand and crank it out. will save lots of time. did this at his old house as well and it made life so much easier when we had to replace it after the well got struck by lighting again.

Quick Reply: anyone know anything about well pumps??