"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

How many..

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010 | 05:00 PM
BlueDragon
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default How many..

...NRA members do we have in the Florida Crew?

Just curious really. I've been a member for a very long time. As a concealed carry permit holder for over ten years now.. I'm more then happy to support those that fight for my 2nd amendment right. Some people have asked me "Why.. why do you carry? I once heard someone say.. and I've used it ever since.. "it's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it." Anyhow... at the Fish Camp, this past weekend, JustDave had asked me if I'd seen Ruger's .380 model. I hadn't and my ADD kicked in and I drifted off somewhere else. I currently carry a Walther P99 (9mm). I'm a fan of Walther and don't believe you can go wrong with one... so long as you don't mind the added expense most Walther's cost. The only thing I don't care for, is it's full size. It's great for them cold winters when I can strap it in the shoulder holster, but otherwise not very concealable.The small of the back is another area it can be held, allthough.. as I noticed this past weekend.. when sitting I felt it was gonna fall out my pants. I'm sure a good waist band holster would help in this area.
JD got me thinkin about the smaller, more concealable .380.. even though my ADD had kicked in.. the .380 stuck in my brain. Then I get home from work today and find my newest edition of American Rifle in my mailbox. Inside is a very nice write up on .380's.. "Concealed Carry.. 21st Century Style". They took 9 different .380's out to the range and did some comparision shooting. The weapons used were.. Kahr P380; Kel-Tec P3AT; Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle; North American Arms Guardian; Rohrbaugh R380; Ruger LCP; SIG Sauer P238; Taurus 738 TCP; and the Walther PK380. All of them malfunctioned at one time or another. Mostly jamming when the cartridge attempted to slide into the chamber. Although it was pointed out this is common with most weapons right out of the box and after putting 200 rounds through the weapon the chambering malfunctions are not as often, if at all.
Of coarse.. I was drawn to the Walther PK380. It looks nothing like the ol' James Bond PPK or the PP model. In fact it looks like a shruken down version of my P99. It was also the only one of the 9 tested that holds 8 rounds. All the others were only 6 shooters. What also suprised me was that it was not that expensive.. comparablly speaking. That honor went to the Rohrbaugh at $1,150 (MSRP). The PK380 came in at a mere $425! I think I've just fallen in love with my next weapon!

Sorry... I was just so intrigued by the artical.. obviously.. and it got me thinkin about JD's question this past weekend. By the way, JD, the write up on the Ruger was not very pleasing for Ruger fans I'm sure. "The gun is not only small and light, but also relativly thin... just about 8/10ths of an inch. Recoil is snappy and almost painful. In anything but bright daylight, the tiny sights preclude a proper sight picture." Although I'd have to say in a real life situation.. would you really be looking down the sights?.. or just pointing and pulling the trigger?

Old 01-19-2010 | 05:22 PM
BlueDragon
|
Outstanding HDF Member

OK.. now I'm bummed out! The article pics are a little misleading. Looking at the PK380.. it looked to be the same size as the other .380's. After researching it more on the world wide web.. it's actually 6 inches in overall length. That's only an inch shorter then my P99! I think I may just have to, dare Isay, step away from Walther to find a good smaller sized concealable weapon...

Old 01-19-2010 | 06:21 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

well as you know i dont, but am going to be actively getting one this year. as soon as we can afford it i will be getting all the paper work in order

Old 01-19-2010 | 06:47 PM
sailnjay
Road Captain

I'm an NRA member. I got the magazine today. I tend to be a wheel gun man and really think the .380 is a bit light. But its a lot better than nothing.

Old 01-19-2010 | 06:56 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member

NRA member & contributer..

OK.....how about a G2G at a gun range (for those interested in shooting holes in paper)?
I know, that where I live (near daytona Beach) there is an indoor range, and also about ten minutes out west of town is a County run 'out door' range.
In my riding travels.....I have passed other shooting places. I would imagine
reservations might come in handy, especially if ten or so people showed up at once.
(first come first served is usually the rule.)
I am by no means the BEST shot in the world, so you won't get to me to shoot
competitively. I figure if I can hit a 8X10 piece of paper, a persons chest
would be a cinch.

Old 01-19-2010 | 08:15 PM
JaxHarleyRdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

We did a GTG last year and it was fun I"m up for another

Old 01-19-2010 | 09:28 PM
Big Vic
Club Member

Life member. Concealed Carry Permit holder. Glock 27 carrier.

Old 01-19-2010 | 09:54 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah, I have a CCP and am a member of NRA and have been forever. They are about the only reason that Nancy Peloshi has not gotten our guns already, I know, I know, Thats a topic for the political forum, so I will not elaborate on that here.

Back to the LCP by Ruger, Jay said a mouth full about it being kinda a light round but when you look at a pocket pistol a .380, also called a 9mm short in some circles, is about as hot as you can get for such a small frame, some would even say that a 9mm is to small and most LEO's have gone to 40's. But I think that just the presence of a piece is more of a deterrent than The size of the hole at the end of the barrel. Hopefully that is all you will have to do is show it to send the perp packing. As far as the sights being hard to see, Point and pull is all you are gonna be able to do in a panic. I have read lots of revues on the LCP and Seen Good and bad, depending on whom is doing the testing. For a backup pocket piece, I Think its the Bomb and I want one.

Lastly, I like the one that says " I am a Concealed Carrier because when seconds count, Law Enforcement is only minutes away"

Old 01-19-2010 | 10:33 PM
1of2
"Moderator"

I just bought Kay a new CCW weapon a week or so ago. It is a Glock 26 (baby Glock) and is just about perfect for her. We took it out to the range last Friday and tried it out. It was flawless. It really isnt much bigger than my S&W J frame. I am seroiusly considering getting the .40 cal (Glock 27) for a carry weapon for me. At under $500 it is a good deal too.

Old 01-19-2010 | 10:39 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member

I picture the faces...15 harleys show up with people holding 15 'shooting bags',
walk in, order 30 boxes ammo, and 40 targets. (I put our sticker on the counter).
Sounds like a fun time.

chuck the mensh