"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Alligator Alley At Night ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,557 Likes on 10,762 Posts
Default Alligator Alley At Night ???

I am planning on riding Alligator Alley (Rte 75) at night about 11p all the way from the west Florida to east Florida. Am riding an '09 Ultra Classic. Going solo. I am an accomplished rider.

Question: Is it unsafe to ride THIS road at night by myself?

Thank you in advance,

BuzzCap7

Old 11-10-2009, 09:54 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
I am planning on riding Alligator Alley (Rte 75) at night about 11p all the way from the west Florida to east Florida. Am riding an '09 Ultra Classic. Going solo. I am an accomplished rider.

Thank you in advance,

BuzzCap7
Not as long as the possibility of encountering a bear, deer, panther, alligator, etc. in front of you in the middle of the road, on a pitch black highway in the middle of nowhere doesn't bother you.

People do it, but as a FL native, it scares the chit out of me when on 2 wheels.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:01 PM
DeckerDude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alligator Alley (Rte 75) at night about 11p all the way from the west Florida to east Florida. Am riding an '09 Ultra Classic. Going solo.

Thank you in advance,
BuzzCap7
Only if don't mind being attacked by a giant alligator and being dragged off into the swamp never to be hear again !!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:02 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,557 Likes on 10,762 Posts

Actually that is a part of why I am asking for other ppl's thoughts. And those concerns IS what I was thinking abt. I figure, if I do not over ride my lights (go much slower than normal) I should be ok and have time to use evasive action if needed. A sudden 4X4 on the road would be nasty.

As far as the animals are concerned, I am pretty sure most (if not all) of the way is fencing in the side of the road to keep them critters off the road. ??

THANK YOU for ur input.

BuzzCap7

Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Jon H
Road Master

I'm thinking of the term 'fast food'.
Jon

Old 11-10-2009, 10:29 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Actually that is a part of why I am asking for other ppl's thoughts. And those concerns IS what I was thinking abt. I figure, if I do not over ride my lights (go much slower than normal) I should be ok and have time to use evasive action if needed. A sudden 4X4 on the road would be nasty.

As far as the animals are concerned, I am pretty sure most (if not all) of the way is fencing in the side of the road to keep them critters off the road. ??

THANK YOU for ur input.

BuzzCap7
You are correct in that for the most part, the highway is fenced and it is an interstate highway. Generally speaking, IMO it is safe, but it traverses the middle of the Everglades from the west to east coast, and if a situation arises where help is required, it may be a long time coming, especially in the middle of the night.

If your night vision is excellent, and the bikes lights up to the task, go for it.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:36 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

Not my cup of meat...for all the previously stated reason.....Ive driven it in a cage at night and even that wasn't a lot of fun....but like they say no guts no glory...besides I think you have already made up yer mind...

Old 11-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

75, no problem, 41 no way.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:23 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANK YOU for ur input.

BuzzCap7
One morning recently, my wife and I were ridind the Alley... we saw a deer on the "wrong" side of the fence. So fence or not, it happens.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:52 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Would it be possible for you to carry a flare gun for the trip...I am just sayin' it might come in handy especially at nite.

Quick Reply: Alligator Alley At Night ???