"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Alligator Alley At Night ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Phlip96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miami
Would it be possible for you to carry a flare gun for the trip...I am just sayin' it might come in handy especially at nite.
Laugh! I can't tell if he's serious or not! I mean, it sems like a good idea..a unique one anyways. I just gotta figure If you need such items, what exactly are you getting yourself into? BUt who am I to say anything

Old 11-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

I'll "prey" for you.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:43 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phlip96
Laugh! I can't tell if he's serious or not! I mean, it sems like a good idea..a unique one anyways. I just gotta figure If you need such items, what exactly are you getting yourself into? BUt who am I to say anything

Was was thinking... hmmmm, good idea flare gun (I have one from when I had a boat).

Then I thought... hmmm, bad idea. Hot pipes and that much powered do not mix.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:57 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla
Was was thinking... hmmmm, good idea flare gun (I have one from when I had a boat).

Then I thought... hmmm, bad idea. Hot pipes and that much powered do not mix.
Might want to bring a tire repair kit and an air compressor.
After the Ocala Rally last year, we scooted on down to Key West then back east on the Tamiami after dark the next day.
Tommy picked up a nail and went flat about half way across.
Patched and aired up, then we had to push start the Sturgis because the battery had died from running the light too long.

Fish Family Rule: always take the scenic route. You can't be late if where you are is where you want to be.

Last edited by fishheadsaid; 11-11-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,557 Likes on 10,762 Posts
Smile Good news!

I got lucky!! I called the Florida Hwy Patrol and on the 1st person I spoke with, he said it is a lite roda all ~200 miles. It is definitely biker safe and a lot of bikers use it at night.

WooooHooo...........I am outta here.............

Thank you again for all those who gaveme ur input. It is appreciated.

BuzzCap7

Old 11-12-2009, 09:45 PM
davescreation
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rode the alley from naples to the end and back. return trip was at about 10pm the only problem i had was booku bugs

Old 11-12-2009, 10:49 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It ain't the gators, deer, bear or nails you have to fear, I've played with em all (check the avitar pic!). It's that damned swamp ape that keeps croppin up every where thatcha need to keep an eye out for, I heard he's in the market for a used Harley...

Old 11-22-2009, 03:33 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

I have done the I-75/ alligator alley both in car and motorcycle multiple times day/night.
1-Regardless of the vehicle it is a boring 75 miles from entrance toll to entrance toll
about mm#100 (west side) to MM#25(east side)
2-To keep with traffic you must travel at 75mph.
3-There are only two possible locations for gas/assistance..MM#80 / route 29 must drive north or indian reservation gas station about mm# 49??..there are bath room/rest stops about 15-20 miles in and then again about 15-20 miles before you exit. I very highly recommend you carry a plug kit/slime and a small portable compressor.
4-I have also done the route 41 across day and night...i would avoid it at night...a trip during the day from east to west is excellent with views of gators on north side and sun at your back.. that has two gas stations...one seasonal that is almost invisible on north side about 30 miles west of krome(997) and another on south side at route #29 and tamiami trail.
*and to answer your question about danger:
the danger i have seen on I - 75 is mostly related to other drivers falling asleep, losing control of their vehicle,making drastic lane changes and then taking out several other cars..
**the views of the night sky on the bike will be assume.
***you and your bike WILL be covered in swamp bugs that stink.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:01 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Panther killed by car on Alligator Alley

Road kills approach record this year

By David Fleshler, Sun Sentinel
December 18, 2009

A Florida panther was struck and killed by a car in far western Broward County this week, becoming the first panther known to have been killed by a vehicle in the county's history.

The young adult male panther, which weighed about 110 pounds, was crossing Interstate 75 near Snake Road about 1 a.m. Thursday when it was hit.

"It basically ran out in front of the vehicle," said Sgt. Mark Wysocky, spokesman for the Florida Highway Patrol.

Chain-link fences extend along both sides of I-75 to prevent panthers and other wildlife from walking onto the interstate.

But the fences don't extend along its entire length, and the panther was hit along a stretch of I-75 that was not fenced, said Darrell Land, panther team leader for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. He said he planned to inspect the area and will look at whether the fence should be extended.

FULL STORY