"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Vertical License Tags Legal Again In FL

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:23 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Thumbs up Vertical License Tags Legal Again In FL

The 2008 law banning vertical tags in FL has been rescinded. This change became law July 1, 2009

You can read the 2009 statute change here in paragraph 3

316.2085 Riding on motorcycles or mopeds.--
(1) A person operating a motorcycle or moped shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person, nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle or moped, unless such motorcycle or moped is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent and regular seat if designed for two persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle or moped at the rear or side of the operator.

(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle or moped only while sitting astride the seat, with both wheels on the ground at all times, facing forward, and with one leg on each side of the motorcycle or moped. However, it is not a violation of this subsection if the wheels of a motorcycle or moped lose contact with the ground briefly due to the condition of the road surface or other circumstances beyond the control of the operator.

(3) The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped up. No device for or method of concealing or obscuring the legibility of the license tag of a motorcycle shall be installed or used.

This was the 2008 statute again paragraph 3

316.2085 Riding on motorcycles or mopeds.--

(1) A person operating a motorcycle or moped shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person, nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle or moped, unless such motorcycle or moped is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent and regular seat if designed for two persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle or moped at the rear or side of the operator.

(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle or moped only while sitting astride the seat, with both wheels on the ground at all times, facing forward, and with one leg on each side of the motorcycle or moped. However, it is not a violation of this subsection if the wheels of a motorcycle or moped lose contact with the ground briefly due to the condition of the road surface or other circumstances beyond the control of the operator.

(3) The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed horizontally to the ground and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped up.

The Complete Statute HERE

Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 AM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what about all the people that just paid thousands of dollars in fines for this law? Do they have the chance to get thier money back?

Old 08-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Phlip96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a member of ABATE I saw this battle fight out step by step. It feels good to be a part of an organization that helps fight for our rights. This is a positive action in favor for our lifestyles.
Think about joining for a lousy $20/yr! Make a few new brothers in the process!http://www.abatese.org

Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 PM
kimbo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Phlip96
Being a member of ABATE I saw this battle fight out step by step. It feels good to be a part of an organization that helps fight for our rights. This is a positive action in favor for our lifestyles.
Think about joining for a lousy $20/yr! Make a few new brothers in the process!http://www.abatese.org
Fill Up, if you can"t get the tubo off maybe that's a good place to mount the vertical plate . Ok off post but how you making out with getting the tubo off???

Old 08-15-2009, 06:14 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

good deal, thanks for the info!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Phlip96
Outstanding HDF Member

har har funny guy strikes again! I did make a little progress. Little... look up under original thread.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:55 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I am not yet a memeber of ABATE...but I think we have to thank that group for getting another stupid law repealded.
I don't quite understand the whole "verticle license' thing.....but as more and more cities go to 'video monitoring' (Daytona has two vehicle that as soon as they pull up behind you..a computor monitors your plate and instantly displays your info on a monitor if the plate has 'faults'). I can hear them now saying a verticle plate can not be read by video sources. (So much for "That piece of aluminum foil that 'must have blown up against my tag, officer."....) OH...and the ever popular.....I thought she was 18.

Chuck the mensh

Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 AM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

[quote=themensh;5436786..I thought she was 18.

Chuck the mensh[/quote]

and her was.............Trixie