"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Greeting from Clearwater

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:54 PM
chad_clearwater
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greeting from Clearwater

I introduced myself on the main new guy forum before I found you guys.

I've been riding since '66 but only rice burners and one Italian bike. I lived in Japan courtesy of Uncle Sugar for 10 years so that explains one Yamaha and one Suzuki...the other 9 bikes were a combination of cost, need, cost, and did I mention cost? Basically, they were transportation.

I've now about decided I "need" my Harley. Actually, I'll admit right upfron that I bloody well WANT a Harley. Fortunately, my lovely wife enjoys riding with me and understands my periodic bike fever.

Anyway, she blessed me with a gift card from Jim's HD in St. Petersburg and it will cover a 24-hour rental. She worked with one of the guys at our church who rides. So, since they have a Street Glide in their rental stable I'm hoping to setup a rental in the near future - if not the Street Glide then probably the Heritage softail...I'm short (29" inseam) and these scoots seem to fit me. I've considered the 1200 Sportster but since I really do plan taking some trips with my wife I believe I'll be better off looking the the touring models.

I've been over to Fletcher's HD here in Clearwater a couple of times and they seem like good folks. I'm not necessarily looking for a new bike so I'm always checking the regional dealerships sites to see what they might have available.

Anyway, nice to see an active FL group.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:14 PM
PoincianaRoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the FL Crew!

I purchased (last month) a 2000 FXD from Jim's HD in St. Pete for $6500.00. Only 15K miles with lots of extras. Shop around, there are deals out there. I know that Gulf Coast in New Port Richey has a 1999 FXD with 8K miles. You can work a real deal there!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:21 PM
chad_clearwater
Cruiser

Thanks. I definately check out the used market. It'll be another few months before I can pull the trigger. Have to get one out of USF, probably get rid of one cage, catch up on a few bills...but, I'm blessed with a wife who carries a manifold burn scar on her calf from my '72 Kawasaki 750 H2 - and still wants to ride with me!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Big Vic
Club Member

Welcome!!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:24 PM
PoincianaRoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a bike now? If you do you'd be welcome to join us on some rides. Rice burners in the back of course! (Just kidding)

Old 07-22-2009, 02:36 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

welcome dave to the forum. i live in clearwater also. keep an eye on this section and you will be getting yourself a bike sooner than you think.
when do you plan on renting one? when you do post up we can plan a ride.
i bought both my bikes at fletchers. great people there. see ken.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 PM
chad_clearwater
Cruiser

I don't currently own a bike. My eldest took my beater Kawasaki 550 to college and sold it. Then he bought a Suzuki Marauder, went in the Marines, got out and sold it...

If I can get rid of kids and college bills I can get the bike!! Sad, isn't it?

Since I'll do a 24-hour rental I'm thinking semi road trip from Clearwater over to maybe Dade City, do the Pioneer Museum, then over to Weeki Wachee and back home...eating along the way, of course. I know momma doesn't have an iron butt so it'll be a relatively short outing. I'll put some miles on locally during the rental period, too.

I'll keep everyone advised as this develops. I may wait until it cools off a bit! Though cooling off around here is relative!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:35 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome from Nawlins!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the Fla Crew Dave from across the Skyway!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
BlueDragon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Florida Crew, Dave!

I'm thinkin you may really enjoy the Heritage, myself. Especially if the wife enjoys riding two-up with ya alot. It's a great ride solo even! One of the best fits for a short inseam kinda person, without going to a the smaller bike all together. I'm sure the one for you will be callin your name as you walk by during your shoppin ventures...

Quick Reply: Greeting from Clearwater