"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Wound up in Ga.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wound up in Ga.......

This was one of those rare days I couldn't find someone to ride with. Seems like everyone had something going on and just couldn't pull it off, at least up north here!!

Anyway, I decided to take a ride and felt like Georgia would be a nice trip. Got on Google and looked for south Ga. attractions and found the Robbins AFB Aviation Museum, http://www.museumofaviation.org/. It is in Warner Robbins, just south of Macon.

It fit the bill perfectly. 300 miles each way, so that would be a nice day trip. I had to be back here early this evening so I knew once I arrived there I couldn't stay long. Since I wasn't sure how long it would take to get there, and having limited time, I only stopped twice each way, just to get fuel and chug down a water.

Left my house in Ocala at 6:00 this morning and took 27W to 129N. The museum sits directly on US129. It is very easy to find, and it is south of Warner Robbins a little, so traffic is of no concern that complete route either. A few small Ga towns, which I love cruising through, and the normal Florida ones along the route. Roads were all in very good condition also.

I arrived there at 11:30 with wonderful weather, very nice ride up. I won't bother with the details of the museum (you can get that from the link), other than to say I wish I had a FULL day to spend there. If you are into military aviation, or just history and the military in general, you are in for a treat. I am going back soon with more time to spend. It is absolutely awesome!

I only had an hour realistically to stay but that somehow worked into two!! All I can say about that is my wife was a very understanding person when I called! Anyway, dragging myself away and heading out around 1:30 and I got home a touch after 7:00PM. Dry except for the last 40 miles, and that was just light rain, so no problem there. Actually washed a lot of the bugs off!!

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to share a great ride and a great destination. According to my GPS I logged 595 mostly dry miles! I think next time I will take my wife with me and we can spend the night there, that way we will have ample time to peruse the museum!!!!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome report! Does my heart good to see someone had a good day in the wind, while I was working, Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:08 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Great write-up. It's great to pick rides like that.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Phlip96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never mind apologizing for the long post! If people don't wanna read it, they can skip it!
I for one like to read routes like that so I can get ideas of where to travel. I dig that kinda stuff but it's a tad too far for a N. Cuba hombre.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:18 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool story..thks for sharing..

Old 06-15-2009, 05:25 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Is a Nice Run up through GA taking 129 done it several times .. I like taking pics of Water Towers and here is one that runs along that route Ray City, GA Only reason got this picture is was time for a gas Stop and saw the Water Tower...

Old 06-15-2009, 05:35 AM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a good time. thats what riding is all about. just getting out and exploring the USA