"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Florida Crew invited to ride in Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009 | 09:45 PM
2of2
|
Road Warrior
Default Florida Crew invited to ride in Arizona

It was great meeting you all in April when I was there. I really enjoyed riding out there too. I know that some of you showed interest in riding in AZ. I wanted you all to know that it would be a pleasure to have you ride with our group here in Arizona. It doesn't matter how you get here, ride, fly, or tow. We will show you some of the best riding the area has to offer. In fact, here is a description of some Arizona riding that I pulled off a local web site called cyclerides.com.

I was excited for this leg of the ride because we were going to travel Hwy. 180 which is on the New Mexico side, just East of the Coronado Trail in the Apache Sitgreaves Forest. Having heard a lot about this road, I was anxious to see how it stacked up to the Arizona side. It is a great road, but it doesn't compare to 191 on the other side of the mountain that is said to be the curviest road in America with a reported 430 turns. That being said, Hwy. 180 is a beautiful road that features more sweepers and lazy curves than does 191. Coming from the South you wind your way through a couple of small towns, rolling hills and meadows before making the climb to over 8500 feet into the tall pines for an endless view into New Mexico. Shortly after reaching the top you will cross back over into Arizona and the small town of Alpine where we had eaten breakfast the morning before.

As it turns out, Hwy. 180 turned out to be a great compliment to 191 as it was less demanding, but still very entertaining and excellent scenery. A perfect day of riding would be to go down 191 from Alpine, take Hwy. 78 over to 180 and then back up to Alpine. That would be 214 miles of some of the best riding you could get.

From Alpine we continued on to Springerville, for our first gas stop and then took Hwy. 60 on into Show Low for our ride down through the Salt River Canyon and into Globe, AZ. If you are new to the area, and haven't ridden this route yet, you are in for a treat. It is an 87 mile ride from Show Low to Globe and at approximately the middle of this route lies the Salt River Canyon. It is a giant 2000 foot deep river canyon loaded with some of the most dramatic views you will find in the State. The Salt River Canyon is often called the mini Grand Canyon, with its sweeping vistas carved by millions of years of erosion by the Salt River. The big difference is that you can actually drive into this canyon.

Coming from the North you will ride about 43 miles through some pines and low level trees before you get your first look at vast canyon area. As you ride the road that hangs off of the side of the mountain, you can't help but sneak a look down into the bottom of the canyon as you wind your way down 2000 feet to the bridge that crosses the Salt River. I would suggest to pull into one of the overlook areas to really take in the history and beauty of this area. The pictures are good, but they are nothing like seeing it in person.

After crossing the bridge at the canyon bottom, you will start your 4 mile ride up the East side of the canyon as the road snakes its way back and forth up the mountain for your 37 mile ride into Globe. There are also a few scenic view stops on the East side of the canyon that will give you a great view of the road that you have just traveled. All together, it is about a 9 mile ride from rim to rim through the Salt River Canyon that will leave you wanting more as you steal one last look to your right at raw Arizona desert beauty. The Salt River Canyon contains a wealth of history and was used by Apache warriors during the 1800s as a refuge from pursuing U.S. calvary troops. These days, the river provides a border between the San Carlos Apache Reservation to the south and the White Mountain Apaches to the north.

Hope to see you out here in 2010.

Old 06-08-2009 | 10:42 PM
1of2
"Moderator"

You know I'll be there in 2010.

Old 06-08-2009 | 11:18 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the write up. Salt River Canyon, gotta add that to the list.
Came close in '05, but rode by that other canyon. Again. Who knew?

Hugh, third of five, Borg Collective

Old 06-09-2009 | 06:56 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Dean.... Now I'm day-dreaming about AZ. Heeeeeee heee heeeeee

I think I have to start planning with Dale for a ride to (or in) AZ. To save vacation days (travel time) I am looking into getting my hands on a trailer (or renting one).

Dale- when in 2010 are ya thinking?

Dean- When did you say it was "the best" time of year to ride out there?

Old 06-09-2009 | 08:16 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

I am in, let me know dates, I will ride out.

Old 06-09-2009 | 08:41 AM
2of2
|
Road Warrior

Paul
The riding is great year round out here although the summer months you have to go up north into the mountains and return after the sun sets. It's too damn hot in town. I think March or April would be a good time. Mild temps here in the valley but still a bit cold in the mountains.The fall is nice too although I think Dale is planning on next March. We are planning a trip to Tombstone which is lower elevations and would not be as enjoyable if it is too hot.

Old 06-09-2009 | 08:50 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Dean.

I won't be a whimp, or party-pooper. If we can get some folks who all want to RIDE to AZ and back, then COOL, I'm up for that.

Pick some dates Dale. March is fine with me ......

Just don't know how much time we need: 3 days out, 3 days of riding in AZ, 3 days home. So we're talking 9-10 vacation days right?

I'd better start saving my days-off. Hee heeeeeeeeee hee.

Old 06-09-2009 | 08:53 AM
1of2
"Moderator"

Paul, the only way I am going to be able to go is to fly or trailer. I won't have enough vacation to ride. It will take 4-5 days each way. Driving we can make it in 3 easy.

Old 06-09-2009 | 09:10 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Just looking at the map, it looks like 2500 miles. There are 3 main routes out and back, I 10, 1 20 and I 40. I have made the I 10 trip across the "Great State" more than a few times, I think either 20 out and 40 back or vice versa. Used to be an Instructor at Ft Bliss so will have to run through El Paso and through New Mexico, was also stationed up in White Sands on special projects, that area including, Ruidoso, Lincoln county, is also beautiful. I am getting cranked for this ride.Glad some others are up to it.

Poorboy, if ya head out Friday right after work hit Nola, you can make it out there by Sunday night, ride 5 days in the SW then do the reverse, only 5 days vacation then, or could schedule around a 3 day weekend holiday. Thoughts?

To the rest of the crew, if you never been to teh SW USA this is an opportunity of a lifetime, it is absoulutely beautiful out there, people are generally very nice (everyone has a gun), the food is amazing, great American Indian, Mex, Tex mex, great place. Not trying to sell it but living out there was one of the best times of my life, even though I was poor as hell then.

Since I missed 2 of 2 when he came here I feel obligated to run out there to meet him hehe.

Last edited by masterblaster; 06-09-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-09-2009 | 09:29 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster

Poorboy, if ya head out Friday right after work hit Nola, you can make it out there by Sunday night, ride 5 days in the SW then do the reverse, only 5 days vacation then, or could schedule around a 3 day weekend holiday. Thoughts?

Since I missed 2 of 2 when he came here I feel obligated to run out there to meet him hehe.
If I start planning now (and saving) I can probably swing the time-off for riding. 400 miles per day is about my max limit, but I haven't done this on the SG (which should be more comfortable). I don't want to "push" too hard, and I'll figure on an extra day each way (for "just in case").

You can stay first night at my place in Palm Coast (others welcome also) as we stage for the great departure. (Just a thought). Or, I can meet-up on other side of state if we're headed up I-75 to I-10.

2of2 is an awesome fellow (even if he's related to 1of2). Heeeee hee heeeee.

If we start planning for March sometime, no 3-day weekends will apply. I should be able to swing 6-7 vacation days which will yeild about 11 days off. This may relate to a 3-day tour of AZ after accounting for travel days (an adventure all by itself). 4 days out, 3 days AZ touring, 4 days back. (probably has to be something like this for me).

The Wife's beer wagon may be an option too. We can pull a trailer, maybe up-to 4 bikes. (we've got about 6000 pounds towing capacity).

It would be awesome if we can get 6-8 bikes headed out.... Rotate bikes on/off trailer along the way? everybody rides, everybody gets some trailer time..... Just throwing things out there.

Quick Reply: Florida Crew invited to ride in Arizona