"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Florida Crew invited to ride in Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009 | 03:59 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

Now this is looking very interesting. How far is the grand canyon? Wife and I hav e always talked about that trip. Will see how things work out but I guess pencil us in. I like the idea of switching trailers with riders for a day or so over there.

Old 06-09-2009 | 04:22 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't fly and ride a bike, fly and ride the wife.

If you trailer you'll never forgive yourself ...
and we'll never let you forget.

Old 06-09-2009 | 10:47 PM
1of2
"Moderator"

Originally Posted by fishheadsaid

I would like nothing better than to ride out there. I would do it in a heartbeat but it isn't possible for me. I get 10 days vacation for the whole year next year. Figure 8- 10 days riding to get there and back realistically. What does that leave for riding while there and visiting my family? Sorry, you can ride me all you want but I have lived there and rode there and I will tell anyone who has never been there on a bike. It is some of the best riding and most beautiful scenery you will ever see. I say anyone who rides out there and only gives themselves a few days to explore the area will never forgive themselves. *** that. I'm trailering, and I advise anyone else who only has two weeks to do the same. That is my opinion.
Tell me this, Dean/Dale- are you envisioning a base camp we day-trip from and back to each day, or are we town-hopping (hotel hopping), making some sort of circuit? If it is the base-camp scenerio then I may be able to talk Patti into joining. She may not ride everyday if she has a pool to hang at (at the hotel).
Paul, we will probably set up someplace in Mesa. Dean will find us the perfect place I'm sure. Home base there and go out exploring every day. Tombstone needs to be an overnighter. It is only I thnk 3.5 hours but it is best experienced overnight. We can hang out in the saloons at night and relax without having to worry about riding back. I have done it both ways and overnight is definatly the way to go.

Now this is looking very interesting. How far is the grand canyon? Wife and I hav e always talked about that trip. Will see how things work out but I guess pencil us in. I like the idea of switching trailers with riders for a day or so over there.
A nice ride up to the canyon. probably need to do an overnighter for that too. Very nice riding to get there.

Old 06-09-2009 | 11:15 PM
2of2
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fishheadsaid

Having just made the trip to Florida and back I can say that the 8 days I spent on I-10 could have been better spent riding in your beautiful state. The week I spent in Florida went by way too fast. My advice would be to allow yourself as much time as possible to enjoy Arizona. Nothing wrong with trailering or Fly and riding if it gets you a few more days to ride out here.
You all get your bones out here however you see fit, just allow yourself enough time to explore this place, that's the part you will remember the most.

Old 06-10-2009 | 01:54 AM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member

You can get just about anywhere in Arizona in about 4 hours, including the Grand Canyon and about 6 hours to San Diego (helmet laws) but you have to use the interstates to do it. That is definitely not the way to enjoy riding here, there are too many great alternative roads.

If you guys give us a time frame and let us know where you want to go, we'll have the ride plans ready for you.

Looking forward to it.

Joe

Old 06-10-2009 | 05:32 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Joe, I hear ya on the ride across I 10, have you ever taken I 20 or I 40 across, hoping for a better ride that way. As far as anyone getting out there by any means, I promise I will not make fun of anyone for trailering, time is a major factor and vacation time varies greatly. I just want to do the cross country thing, good training for my run to Alaska and back in the near future.Like I said above lets just get a time and place to meet out there and break up into groups or get there individually. I appreciate you guys putting together some rides.

Originally Posted by joe.1955
You can get just about anywhere in Arizona in about 4 hours, including the Grand Canyon and about 6 hours to San Diego (helmet laws) but you have to use the interstates to do it. That is definitely not the way to enjoy riding here, there are too many great alternative roads.

If you guys give us a time frame and let us know where you want to go, we'll have the ride plans ready for you.

Looking forward to it.

Joe

Old 06-10-2009 | 07:06 AM
BlueDragon
Outstanding HDF Member

Brenda and I would most likely do the trailer thing~
We also only get so much vacation time per year... and I always like to leave some time for the Ocala event each year~ Would rather enjoy as much time in Arizona as we can as opposed to travel time~ So what ya will, but I didn't buy the damn trailer to be a yard orniment... in my brother's yard~ This kind of thing is exactly what it's for~

Old 06-10-2009 | 07:48 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

Would Love to go along with this, at least got some time for planning... Kind of Like the idea of the Trailer/Ride Combo thing .. I have a Truck and Trailer that is more than adequate for a couple of Bikes.. Have not set the Trailer up yet for Wheelchocks and D Rings for Bikes was a discontinued model that got for about 2/3 what a Brand New cost.. But have all the electric brake assist Hitch etc... Set and Ready to roll .. Would gladly pitch Truck, Trailer or Both to see this work... Even though retired agree rather spend more time riding in AZ than rolling down I-10 which have done many times..

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 06-10-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2009 | 08:30 AM
2of2
|
Road Warrior

Jay
That looks like a nice setup. I hope you make it out here. You will love it.

Old 06-10-2009 | 08:47 AM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

would you guys raz me if i towed behind a mini van?

Quick Reply: Florida Crew invited to ride in Arizona