The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: VE vs VE NEW

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 02:07 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,682 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by stroisi12
thanks Steve.
Would I get a better rate with a TTS? I thought the rate is governed by the ECM and the CAN bus?
The rate is governed by the system as a max amount of data it can handle, so that means it sets the upper limit only. The software in the ECM from Delphi also controls how the data is gathered and sent out, so this also controls the rate. When you run an ECM on the test bench by itself it will do one thing but when you install it in a running bike with all the other buss traffic it does things completely different. So while you may see 5 - 10 on the test bench you may only see 2 or less when installed in the running bike. The reason for all this, is that bikes also have many other modules beside the ECM that are using the exact same buss to do there job too. This eats up more of the buss and when you get to these new 23.5 and 24 models it slows the data rate for the ECM to send scan data down to a crawl (<=2fps). TTS is the only ones that rewrites the code itself, to improve the data flow from the ECM on to the buss. The amount that is improved varies by year and software but in general it's 3 - 4 times faster than the original Delphi code that all the others use. Same applies for the J-1850 buss as well but we only see an improvement about 3 times.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
FLTRI17 (08-01-2024), Lonewolf176 (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 03:24 PM
Balakay
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
It you are converting WP8 data to .csv the units have to be configured before you export. You can export in milliseconds (or by data change) and it is customizable.
I went back and looked and realized i had the time set wrong. i changed it to 500 milliseconds that i think should match 2 hertz. It was user error.

Do yall know of a way to reduce the channels that are logged? i see the monitors in the tune but nothing there to edit them.

It seems that tuning a WOT throttle run on the street or dyno would be very hard if you only poling the channel twice per second at best.

Last edited by Balakay; 07-29-2024 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2024, 03:31 PM
Balakay
Novice

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The rate is governed by the system as a max amount of data it can handle, so that means it sets the upper limit only. The software in the ECM from Delphi also controls how the data is gathered and sent out, so this also controls the rate. When you run an ECM on the test bench by itself it will do one thing but when you install it in a running bike with all the other buss traffic it does things completely different. So while you may see 5 - 10 on the test bench you may only see 2 or less when installed in the running bike. The reason for all this, is that bikes also have many other modules beside the ECM that are using the exact same buss to do there job too. This eats up more of the buss and when you get to these new 23.5 and 24 models it slows the data rate for the ECM to send scan data down to a crawl (<=2fps). TTS is the only ones that rewrites the code itself, to improve the data flow from the ECM on to the buss. The amount that is improved varies by year and software but in general it's 3 - 4 times faster than the original Delphi code that all the others use. Same applies for the J-1850 buss as well but we only see an improvement about 3 times.
Why in 2024 would Harley not have a better and faster data bus like in a modern car? i guess to much R&D was spent on the new giant touch screens lol.

Old 07-29-2024, 04:49 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by Balakay
Why in 2024 would Harley not have a better and faster data bus like in a modern car? i guess to much R&D was spent on the new giant touch screens lol.

Ha HA .......HD sales people are no different that the internet sale people. If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS! HD is not the least bit concerned with how fast or slow the data comes out, as it is only used to help with diagnosing a problem with the bike, in there world. They do not use this buss and information for tuning in the first place. They use special ECM's with multiple much faster data transfer rate ports for tuning in house. This is just why we have gone to the trouble of increasing the data port speed for using the data to get a more realistic picture of what is really going on. You would be amazed at how far off things are and people think they are working great, too.

As for your channel issue that is not how it works. You request the data and you get what you get, it's a case of all or nothing from the ECM. The only way around this pitfall is to rewrite the code itself and TTS is the only one doing that. Now once you change the system code you have to be very careful to not allow it to be changed by another device that doesn't know how to do the changes, let alone what the changes are and how to work them.

Last edited by Steve Cole; 07-29-2024 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2024, 05:09 PM
stroisi12
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Ha HA .......HD sales people are no different that the internet sale people. If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS! HD is not the least bit concerned with how fast or slow the data comes out, as it is only used to help with diagnosing a problem with the bike, in there world. They do not use this buss and information for tuning in the first place. They use special ECM's with multiple much faster data transfer rate ports for tuning in house. This is just why we have gone to the trouble of increasing the data port speed for using the data to get a more realistic picture of what is really going on. You would be amazed at how far off things are and people think they are working great, too.

As for your channel issue that is not how it works. You request the data and you get what you get, it's a case of all or nothing from the ECM. The only way around this pitfall is to rewrite the code itself and TTS is the only one doing that. Now once you change the system code you have to be very careful to not allow it to be changed by another device that doesn't know how to do the changes, let alone what the changes are and how to work them.
ahh. Hence the reason for the ECU lock. Right? Keep Harley from overwriting and bricking the ECU.

Old 07-29-2024, 05:10 PM
Balakay
Novice

Well **** a Duck. So am i right that even with the wide band add on from dyno jet the datta log in the power vision will still be slow no matter what? If i can't be as trusting in the data loggin wide bands seem even more important to make sure the open loop fueling is correct.

They edit the cuss words here? lol

Old 07-29-2024, 05:51 PM
stroisi12
Advanced

Well **** a Duck. So am i right that even with the wide band add on from dyno jet the datta log in the power vision will still be slow no matter what? If i can't be as trusting in the data loggin wide bands seem even more important to make sure the open loop fueling is correct.

They edit the cuss words here? lol
wide band vs NB is opening a can of worms😀. You can make the best of what you have by keeping rpm’s and map as steady as possible for a period of time for each rpm range.

Old 07-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Balakay
Novice

Originally Posted by stroisi12
wide band vs NB is opening a can of worms😀. You can make the best of what you have by keeping rpm’s and map as steady as possible for a period of time for each rpm range.
What i need is my own personal load dyno lol.

Old 07-29-2024, 09:13 PM
stroisi12
Advanced

Oh yea 👍 Sure would make it easier.

Old 07-30-2024, 10:27 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Most people do not understand that the current Wide Bands being sold in the HD world are Bosch LSU4.2 parts. The LSU series is a Narrow Band Sensor with and added O2 pump circuit to make it a Wide Band of sorts. Originally they were named Broad Bands as they Broaden the range of a narrow Band sensor. One of there pit falls is that the additional circuitry slowed the response times down of the sensor itself. About the best the sensor itself is capable of is a 3-4 HZ rate when new, as they age is safer to stay at or below 3HZ with them. So assuming that one of these systems is going to solve the problem is dead wrong.

Now if your in an open area of Texas, and you can control how you ride to aid in getting the best data you can, is the best you can to

Quick Reply: HARLEY: VE vs VE NEW