The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: VE vs VE NEW

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2024, 06:01 AM
stroisi12
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Balakay
If it was missing 75% of the data at idle and gets worse with engine speed then it would be completely useless...
not really. If as Steve said, you hold steady rpm’s, you can kind of interpolate the missing data.

Old 07-28-2024, 11:04 AM
Balakay
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do yall know where i can find the channel polling rate in the data log? Or even better a way to set it to only log specific channels?

Old 07-28-2024, 11:53 AM
stroisi12
Advanced

Do yall know where i can find the channel polling rate in the data log? Or even better a way to set it to only log specific channels?
the time row in the log is in milliseconds… so just subtract.

Old 07-28-2024, 12:17 PM
Balakay
Novice

In the screen shot below it looks like its in seconds and the rate would be about 100Hz. in the highlighted section you can see the highlighted potion is seems to be updating the channel at that speed. Although i don't know if all channels go at that speed. Is this what you were talking about?

Old 07-28-2024, 12:49 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,682 Likes on 1,668 Posts

In the screen shot below it looks like its in seconds and the rate would be about 100Hz. in the highlighted section you can see the highlighted potion is seems to be updating the channel at that speed. Although i don't know if all channels go at that speed. Is this what you were talking about?

If this is what is being reported by your software you have a problem, as it is impossible to get 100 HZ from a J-1850 data buss on a HD ECM. The typical data rate from an HD J1850 buss is =< 2 HZ. The newer HD CAN Buss models only run between 2 - 12 HZ depending on year and Operating System software. If your seeing rates outside these levels on any HD system other than a TTS modified one, the software you are using is lying to you.

Old 07-28-2024, 01:13 PM
stroisi12
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
If this is what is being reported by your software you have a problem, as it is impossible to get 100 HZ from a J-1850 data buss on a HD ECM. The typical data rate from an HD J1850 buss is =< 2 HZ. The newer HD CAN Buss models only run between 2 - 12 HZ depending on year and Operating System software. If your seeing rates outside these levels on any HD system other than a TTS modified one, the software you are using is lying to you.
yea. My 2018 with a Power Vision gives me 5Hz.

Old 07-28-2024, 02:48 PM
Balakay
Novice

ok thankyou for clarifying. i will reach out to dyno jet about this. This is the CSV file exported directly from WinPEP8 so i will try to get clarification. Wish me luck so far getting replys from dynojet has been like pulling teeth.

In the mean time im going to go on a nice long boring ride to gather datta and check my fuel trims lol.

Old 07-29-2024, 10:16 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

ok thankyou for clarifying. i will reach out to dyno jet about this. This is the CSV file exported directly from WinPEP8 so i will try to get clarification. Wish me luck so far getting replys from dynojet has been like pulling teeth.

In the mean time im going to go on a nice long boring ride to gather datta and check my fuel trims lol.
It you are converting WP8 data to .csv the units have to be configured before you export. You can export in milliseconds (or by data change) and it is customizable.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 07-29-2024, 11:17 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,682 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by stroisi12
yea. My 2018 with a Power Vision gives me 5Hz.

Yep, that's about right for the PV on a CAN buss system, the J-1850 is less than 2 HZ. People have to understand this when trying to review the data and understand what your being showed is just an indication of what might be going on, not what is really going on. By holding the engine steady in both RPM and Load and looking at the data over a long period of time you will begin to see a much better picture of what's really going on. Also be sure when looking at the data that your not getting the same data over and over again as that was a problem for DJ in the past. The give away is to look at the RPM data frame by frame and see if it reports the exact same thing for a number of frames, previously they did for about 12 - 13 frames of data and it is all bogus as an HD engine will never be that stable.

Old 07-29-2024, 12:13 PM
stroisi12
Advanced

Yep, that's about right for the PV on a CAN buss system, the J-1850 is less than 2 HZ. People have to understand this when trying to review the data and understand what your being showed is just an indication of what might be going on, not what is really going on. By holding the engine steady in both RPM and Load and looking at the data over a long period of time you will begin to see a much better picture of what's really going on. Also be sure when looking at the data that you’re not getting the same data over and over again as that was a problem for DJ in the past. The give away is to look at the RPM data frame by frame and see if it reports the exact same thing for a number of frames, previously they did for about 12 - 13 frames of data and it is all bogus as an HD engine will never be that stable.
thanks Steve.
Would I get a better rate with a TTS? I thought the rate is governed by the ECM and the CAN bus?

Quick Reply: HARLEY: VE vs VE NEW