The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Power Vision tuning charts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 12:20 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,465 Likes on 3,643 Posts

I have a question related to timing..
In all the tunes that I've seen, what I don't understand is why do they decrease timing as MAP and RPM's go up.. Doesn't that leave power on the table? I know with any other motors like Evo's, Shovels even SBC's we've never decreased timing going up into the power band.. As far as 42* on my well built SBC's.. Why it's it different with fuel injected TC's.. Why are the timing curves decrease as MAP and RPM's go up

Old 11-27-2022, 02:24 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm finally able to understand just how these tuners work and how to make it work for me.. It's definitely a learning curve and so far it's all good. So I just want to update this thread with what I've learned so far... I'm not saying it's right but it is working for me..

So I've Been playing a little with my current tune (cause I'm bored shitless and unemployed) and figured how to get more timing into it without detonation... Going back in some of my older tunes (data logs) I focused in on VE's and how they can affect spark knock retard. I did notice on WOT runs that any VE setting below 95 (in a WOT run) had the potential to be a little too lean therefore actually creating the right atmosphere in the combustion chamber to create detonation. So what I did was, I went into the VE tables and manually input higher values so the ECM would up the amount of fuel and did a few test hits.. This seemed to work nicely.. Here are the current VE tables I'm running.

The temperature was 51 degrees and overcast. On average of the 4 test hits I did from 0-114 mph, 1st through 4th gear, not a single spark knock detected. I'm sure the ambient temp had something to do with it as well.. Motor temp was as high as 223*.

So then I started messing with increasing the timing in the WOT runs to see what it could handle and much to my surprise (yes it's very possible that ambient temps of 51* had something to do with it as well) I was able to apply up to 31* (from 4*-6* more timing at WOT Map@95-100 and rpm range from 2750-6000) at 5500mrpm without detonation.. I'm sure that on a hot day it won't be the same but with the cooler temps right now at least I'm able to play and try to figure things out.. Here are my ignition timing curves.

I think I'm going to rename some of the tunes base on temp.. Something like Tune50*, Tune70* and tune90*. I did manage to record my test hit times and based on my inability to be consistent in the run's (shift points and tire spin) and lack of traction on the cold road, I recorded 4 test hits from 0-105 mph and the average time was 10.877 seconds. If it wasn't for a poor run of 11.195 I would've had a better average. I just really blew that run.. Today my best run was 10.656. Looking back over the summer when tire traction was optimal I actually turned 9.41 seconds in the same 0-105 mph run and in that run my max timing advance at 5500 WOT run was 33*.. Its all a learning curve but man it is fun...

Most importantly, I'm not an expert at this so if there are corrections to be made please step in.. I'm always willing to listen and learn.

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 11-27-2022 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:48 PM
OutlawFC222
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Thanks, yes I do have the handle bar mount and I do have gauges on all the time. I finally paid closer attention to the Map/kPa gauge this morning on my way into work and noticed that on Decel it did get down to 22 kPa and then assumed it was for Decel.. thanks.. I also loaded the tune you confirmed should be better and at lunch time today I'll go for a ride and find out.. Thanks again...
which mount do you have? I need to get one to fit my 1.250 monkey bars lol.

Old 01-02-2023, 05:45 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OutlawFC222
which mount do you have? I need to get one to fit my 1.250 monkey bars lol.
Here you go..
Arkon 4 Hole AMPS Pattern Replacement Upgrade or Additional Bike Motorcycle Handlebar Mounting Pedestal for Satellite Radios https://a.co/d/ddVxL9X