The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Power Vision tuning charts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 07:08 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,465 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Thanks, yes I do have the handle bar mount and I do have gauges on all the time. I finally paid closer attention to the Map/kPa gauge this morning on my way into work and noticed that on Decel it did get down to 22 kPa and then assumed it was for Decel.. thanks.. I also loaded the tune you confirmed should be better and at lunch time today I'll go for a ride and find out.. Thanks again...

Old 05-19-2021, 05:16 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

So I went for a little ride at lunch time, a small one, and it definitely felt smoother.. The extra fuel is definitely making a difference. I just got to figure out which knock count I want to put into my readout for my gauges. The only ones I saw were for front or rear.. Should I use the rear one because that's prone to be hotter?

Old 05-19-2021, 06:02 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

once you get everything else in a somewhat stable state, change your guages up to front and rear knock count, front and rear timing and map and see what you get, once you see where there is more activity you can focus on it from there. post up your timing tables and lets have a look..
what is your measured ccp?
m

Old 05-19-2021, 07:37 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Never messed with the timing on EFI, but have created timing curve on my Evo with Dynatek curve maker software.. I always had my timing set up so that by 3600 rpm I was at 35* and that carried out to 6200 rpm. Looking at these table I don't understand why the timing would start kicking down after half throttle or 50 kPa and 3500 rpm.. to me that's where the motor just starts to make real power so I would think the timing should be maintaining the level at 50 kPa/4000rpm.. I do realize if I maintain that amount of advance that I will have to richen up the with fuel to maintain a desirable AFR... So here's my timing charts.. come to think of it my power band does flatten out after 4k rpm.. I think the timing is indicative of the power feel.. Honestly, I've never ran more than 32 degrees advance by 3100 rpm and no more that 37* total advance.. In my SBC's though I have run up to 42*.. by 4800 rpm.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:17 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Forgot to mention that when I replaced the head with Hillsides stage II heads and a.030" head gasket and the TW 5-6 cam with lubed cylinders my CCP was 213. RB Racing calculator had it at 197 CCP. I have not done a recent CCP.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:20 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

lets do one just so we know where we stand at the moment. the twinkie doesnt need near as much timing as other engine do, so there is most likely some work to do here. jut on a quick look it looks like you 80-100 might be too aggressive along with some stuff in your midrange cruise, but lets get the ccp data first.
m

Old 05-20-2021, 11:16 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok, i'll get it as soon as i can...

Old 05-21-2021, 06:04 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

So here are a couple of logs i did last night.. The temperature was around 60*
Not a single spark knock detected.. That's if I read it right.. The biggest surprise to me was my AFR/Lambda readings.. I'm getting pretty good fuel when necessary and cruise is real good as well...
The way I see it is when the temps get a little hotter out I'll do more logs but till then it appears that a little more timing wouldn't hurt.. No?
One other thing I would like to point out is that the midrange cruise timing advance is set to mimic an Evo with a VOES.. so I would think that that is fine and I've never had an engine hi temp issue yet.. It's never gone above 265* yet but the air temp hasn't gotten that hot yet as well... more data will be necessary when temps get into the 90's..

Attached Files
File Type: csv
log0005.csv (178.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: csv
log0006.csv (552.4 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 05-21-2021 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:08 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

i'll have to check the logs out later on when i've got some time,,,,if you are not seeing any knock counts that is a good sign, but i think that you might be at a point that you might need to be on a dyno to see if changes you make help or hurt you and to really know where you are at right now. without having that data, you might start down a rabbit hole. as i mentioned before, twinkies have VERY different timing requirements that the Evo, and the control system is much faster and more accurate. might be time for a dyno trip and bring Scott a beer.
m
also working with timing on FI is very different that when dealing with a carb,,i think in part because of the fact that there is so much better control now. i found it hard to believe at first, but after working with it, it is indeed true.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:53 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by marcodarq
i'll have to check the logs out later on when i've got some time,,,,if you are not seeing any knock counts that is a good sign, but i think that you might be at a point that you might need to be on a dyno to see if changes you make help or hurt you and to really know where you are at right now. without having that data, you might start down a rabbit hole. as i mentioned before, twinkies have VERY different timing requirements that the Evo, and the control system is much faster and more accurate. might be time for a dyno trip and bring Scott a beer.
m
also working with timing on FI is very different that when dealing with a carb,,i think in part because of the fact that there is so much better control now. i found it hard to believe at first, but after working with it, it is indeed true.
Ok M, thanks.. I think I will play a little now... Your direction has really helped me pinpoint what I need to watch (parameters) to help me to understand the changes I make... Thanks again M.....
And by the way I believe Scott is a Bourbon man....

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: Power Vision tuning charts...