The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: Tuning with older SERT

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 06:36 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,687 Likes on 2,724 Posts
Default Tuning with older SERT

Anyone able to help out on the old version SERT? I have an '04 Heritage with a stage 1 air filter and V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe. Have a map close (I think) and just have a few questions: Is 110-114 in the VE Tables too much? The canned maps all have timing of 45 deg. Isn't that too much? How do I get rid of a little Rev Hang between 1st and 3rd? And lastly, are short spikes of 2 deg Knock Retard noticed on Data Runs worth chasing?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:00 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,528 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by brakeless
Anyone able to help out on the old version SERT? I have an '04 Heritage with a stage 1 air filter and V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe. Have a map close (I think) and just have a few questions: Is 110-114 in the VE Tables too much? The canned maps all have timing of 45 deg. Isn't that too much? How do I get rid of a little Rev Hang between 1st and 3rd? And lastly, are short spikes of 2 deg Knock Retard noticed on Data Runs worth chasing?
NO- the range is from 40 to 127.5, to allow plenty of room to tune different combinations.

45° in the decel part of the table is OK- just trying to fire a very lean mix before it heads out the pipe, to reduce decel pop. If it's in the cruise range, it's there to help with milage & lean mixtures. If you have any knock activity while flat steady cruising, reduce the timing there.

I'm not sure what hang is, but too much fuel in the decel area can make it blubbery.

If it's consistant, reduce timing 1/4-1/2 a degree at a time in the area just before the knock retard is presenting to remove that. ie: datalog reports 2° retard @ 2250/60kpa, reduce timing 1/4-1/2° @2K/60 and retest- usually the report is 1 step after the actual knock retard condition.
I can take a look at your map to see if anything jumps out at me. email is r dot thiem at att dot net

Old 06-11-2017, 12:42 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,687 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Thanks rigidthumper! I don't have any knock retard just puttin' down the hwy. But when I climb a grade at 70-75mph the MAP gets into 60 pressure or above and then I see small 2* spikes on the Data Collection. Never knew what "stock" timing was. Bike came with the SERT and the canned map. Saw signs of detonation on the plugs and the tops of the pistons (BoreScope). So found out it was a lean map and started to modify and do data runs. "Rev Hang" is when the rpms don't drop real fast between shifts. It's just different than what I'm used to, carbs! Bike doesn't pop on decel or run too bad now I've "fattened" it up. I'll shoot you a map of the Front Cylinder Timing on your e-mail.