The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Power Vision Target Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 10:11 PM
Leimy
Tourer

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Well....
The pictures are nice....
Need to learn WAY more before I reply.
With anything to add.

Old 06-12-2024, 06:56 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Doesn't the PV pull the timing when you generate the new tune? I can see that while processing the tune.
It doesn't like V Tune does, PV will pull timing if you go in the "auto tune" settings and allow it to, but they suggest only doing this with a wideband setup and AFTER your VE's are tuned, they also suggest not to let it make timing and VE changes at the same time, but what seems odd to me now is when you use the wide bands in "auto tune" AFR is set to 13.0 across the board. when I used to use the PV on the street I would log data after I had the VE's done and then graph the logs to check for spark knock

The following users liked this post:
Lonewolf176 (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 08:42 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,397 Likes on 3,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
It doesn't like V Tune does, PV will pull timing if you go in the "auto tune" settings and allow it to, but they suggest only doing this with a wideband setup and AFTER your VE's are tuned, they also suggest not to let it make timing and VE changes at the same time, but what seems odd to me now is when you use the wide bands in "auto tune" AFR is set to 13.0 across the board. when I used to use the PV on the street I would log data after I had the VE's done and then graph the logs to check for spark knock
Exactly what I'm currently doing It's the only way to tell and you can decipher whether or not your VEs are within parameters based on your target AFRs by looking at the short and long-term VE trims If you can get them around 100%, it means you're right on... Also there's nothing wrong with a 3% variance of that 100% for your long and short-term trims..
It does work very well once you get accustomed to it..
The other thing one needs to be careful of is that in each dialogue box on the win PV there is a checkbox up in the right hand corner whether or not you want to use the power vision as your guide or to use the stock ECM settings so you need to be careful there that that's enabled or disabled to however you want to use the system...

Old 06-12-2024, 09:34 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
what seems odd to me now is when you use the wide bands in "auto tune" AFR is set to 13.0 across the board
That's different than the TTS. When set up to collect data the targets are anywhere from .993 (14.68) to .851 (12.49). I think there's a good reason for that.

Fat11Lo (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 09:41 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
That's different than the TTS. When set up to collect data the targets are anywhere from .993 (14.68) to .851 (12.49). I think there's a good reason for that.
@Lonewolf176
Not trying to knock your knowledge of tts nor the fact that I'm familiar with it but the OP is trying to figure out the PV.. And they do work a little differently.. I don't think info on tts is helpful to him..

Old 06-12-2024, 09:44 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
@Lonewolf176
Not trying to knock your knowledge of tts nor the fact that I'm familiar with it but the OP is trying to figure out the PV.. And they do work a little differently.. I don't think info on tts is helpful to him..
No worries. Carry on.

Old 06-12-2024, 11:04 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,680 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Yeah we'll Steve is not a fan of Power Vision, that's well known.. However I'm positive that it does have adapting learning and does change the VEs and puts them in a file all on its own to reuse. Even in the drop-down table you can go in and enAble or disable this function.. Here's a picture of adaptive control and read the paragraph down below which explains how it uses it how it stores it and how it works..

Also please define the broadband side on the ECM..
For all that want to know, There is NO adaptive learning when Wide Band sensors are used. I do not care who's unit you use as the ECM does not have the necessary code to support it, it's just that simple. There is integration but none of that is stored and reused. This is nothing new and it's been this way since HD started using the Delphi fuel injection. If Dynojet is trying to say there is, then they are not being truthful.

Old 06-12-2024, 01:31 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

I don't think info on tts is helpful to him..
To a large extent no, but theory of tuning an engine remains the same no matter which platform you're using, they both go about it differently. That's all I was tying to say to Lonewolf

Having never worked with Target Tune calibration, I'm not even begin to comment on the details

If I have anything to say to xxholdxx is that YOU MUST GET YOUR VE DIALED IN FIRST before you start messing with your other tables or you're going to run around in circles

When I used the wideband module with PV:
Run an "auto tune" session, while still on the "auto tune" screen I would take a picture to see where I got hits, then a pic of the next screen that tells you the changes,

and then apply the changes, save in a new slot, then flash the tune to the bike, ride the bike again without "auto tune" enabled and make a log of the ride

when I returned home I would retrieve the before and after tunes and the log and compare the two tunes in WinPV, to see how much "auto tune" made changes comparing the pic I took of the hits, also I would graph the log, if it made drastic changes in an area where I didn't get a lot of hits I would return those values to what they were before, it can be tricky, sometimes it make changes based on bad data, it's up to you to figure that out from riding the bike and viewing the logs

Old 06-12-2024, 06:10 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

@Fat11Lo
I'm theory yes it's I agree and should have stated that.. But for someone new to tuning it can be confusing is all I meant to say..I do understand @Lonewolf176 was only trying to help and that as well is appreciated, but info on 2 different systems can confuse a beginner.. Hell I'm still not where if like to be although I have made good ground on getting tuning down and will agree the VEs need to be set before you can start making any other changes..
Also I will have to take what @Steve Cole says about the WinPV software, I must have misunderstood Power Visions description of how it works.. The way I understood it was that the Win PV software makes a temporary file that stores the new short and long-term trims that the ECM and power vision refer to to keep the bike running As close as possible to target AFRs.. Steve definitely has more knowledge than I have in this matter so I will have to trust him .. Didn't mean to offend anybody or mislead anyone...

Old 06-12-2024, 08:33 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 618 Likes on 425 Posts

Maybe think of it this way:
To use the “autotune” feature, or “v tune” or “smart tune” you need to start with a base map or calibration which is hopefully close to begin with so it won’t take too many test-riding (recording) to get right.
Once you find a base map by trial and error that provides a decent running bike without any tuning. This will be the “close” base map you want to start with.
Then you prepare the calibration or map for recording test-ride data from the on board sensors, especially the oxygen sensors.
Now it’s time to ride the bike in all areas it “could” be ridden in, NOT JUST THE EASY STUFF, especially at low rpms at higher loads where you would call it lugging but that’s where the bike needs to be put for a few seconds.
Once you’ve done your best at guessing where you needed to test-ride the bike to reliably record enough good data for the software to do its magic creating a new, updated/corrected map to be installed into the bike so you can repeat this process until you have learned enough to get enough data to complete your recalibration of your VEs as well as other tuning tables depending on experience and knowledge.
Then you’re done and, if you’ve been successful, your bike will run smooth as silk with snappy acceleration, all the while getting good mileage.
Bob

Fat11Lo (06-13-2024)

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: Power Vision Target Tune