The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: Harley Pro Street tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:20 PM
gearman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Pro Street tuner

Just bought a 16 Triglide and want to install air kit with street cannon mufflers with the street tuner for warranty purposes for now. I noticed there are no cal listings for triglides. Can I just use the electraglide cals for the download, I know this isn't the best tuner, but I'm not going radical with this trike like I did with my other bikes, Thanks in advance

Old 10-11-2016, 08:01 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes find a map that is close to what you have engine wise. Makes no difference of two tires or three.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:22 PM
gearman
Advanced

I thought of that also, but their isn't a whole lot of adjustability in the street tuner. I would think the cals would be quite a bit different because of the weight of the trike. Maybe it would work just fine but I would like to see someone that has tried it with good results

Old 10-12-2016, 07:50 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,505 Likes on 1,799 Posts

You have the option of picking either 103 stage 1, or 110 stage 1, for twin cooled motors.
Or getting a different tuner.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

The warranty issue regarding the use of the Street Tuner is for 17 and future models. If you are trying to retain your warranty on your 16 you might need to inquire with the dealer about that. I know the 17 models mandate you use EPA/CARB approved parts. If you have any "off road use only performance parts" on your trike the warranty may already be void. If that's the case you might as well use a better tuner.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:59 PM
rrcraw@gmail.com
Stage IV
Default SESTP CI tab in tuning file

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
You have the option of picking either 103 stage 1, or 110 stage 1, for twin cooled motors.
Or getting a different tuner.
I don't understand. Please educate me. Doesn't the SESTP tuning config file in the software ("Tuning" tab/section) prior to doing flash of the ECM of the final values or in a VCI record data gathering ride or track (Dyno) run allow changes or support for liquid cooled models??
Doesn't it allow tweaking ci, injector size, acr, eitms, spark knock (never off) values to be flashed for a tuning ride for liquid cooled motors???

I ride/tune my 2001 Buell X1W go faster sled with other laptop sw that I can modify/flash anything in the ECM with but no recorder (but not locked to a single sled either). My 2013 Ultra go touring fast, power and tq sled with dealer installed SE air and D&D Boarzilla 2:1 exhaust included Dyno time/tune with my SESTP.
I was​ forced to trying to figure out the dealer tune fubar I had after throwing them free money for bolting on and tuning my Stage 1 purchase when I bought it.. Suffice it to say I found the problem was between the keyboard and the throttle. The tuner used a stage 4 tuning file as a starting point (big ci cyl, + upgrade). Bike didn't run well, rear cylinder way lean and blued 2 rear cylinder heat shields. They left rear cylinder lamda locked at 1, blah, blah, where have all the tuners gone...
I fixed using/flashing a different base file making sure the tuning config matched my numbers, for correct ci, injector size, acr off, eitms off, exhaust hdi (euro sold models) off and acr off and used street riding smart tune to get it close and it ran great. And found you can do a LOT with the SE tool but you need to understand the target before you select the weapon and amo.

FYI FWIW, exhaust reversion?? Maybe a diff post..but w/o the tuner I wouldn't have been able to quantify or qualify effects of screwups either.🤣

BTW, example, I have since found my low/mid range hp and tq corrected with a 2" dia perf/wrapped Fatcat baffle in the old Boarzilla (too much pipe for a stock 103 dealers, plus it kills your VOX intercom capability) and am now working modified other values like in AFR indices, timing changes to optimize mpg in the 2800-3500 (my typical touring range) deceleration enrichment (back to original now as pop on deceleration turned out to be my riding habits and an exhaust leak)....you can be real dangerous with these tuners if your not careful.. we can throw a lot of dollars into that hole can't we..and if we don't know our subject matter a little and don't RTFM.

I can say I think I've made progress with the changes, pop on deceleration gone, low to mid tq (stump puller power) way better, mpg needs more data to know, albeit subjective improvement. I sure wish I was smart enough to get HP and torque values from my SESTP VCI recordings though... bummer. Solution for this and/or ideas like a spread sheet app taking I think rpm, AFR and fuel available and a formula to calculate or do I need to build from scratch? I'd love to see/try feedback on this one.

Regards, bc

Keep two wheels down and the wind in your face, a bug spattered grin is no disgrace.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:15 AM
TomCop
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rrcraw@gmail.com
I don't understand. Please educate me. Doesn't the SESTP tuning config file in the software ("Tuning" tab/section) prior to doing flash of the ECM of the final values or in a VCI record data gathering ride or track (Dyno) run allow changes or support for liquid cooled models??
Doesn't it allow tweaking ci, injector size, acr, eitms, spark knock (never off) values to be flashed for a tuning ride for liquid cooled motors???

I ride/tune my 2001 Buell X1W go faster sled with other laptop sw that I can modify/flash anything in the ECM with but no recorder (but not locked to a single sled either). My 2013 Ultra go touring fast, power and tq sled with dealer installed SE air and D&D Boarzilla 2:1 exhaust included Dyno time/tune with my SESTP.
I was​ forced to trying to figure out the dealer tune fubar I had after throwing them free money for bolting on and tuning my Stage 1 purchase when I bought it.. Suffice it to say I found the problem was between the keyboard and the throttle. The tuner used a stage 4 tuning file as a starting point (big ci cyl, + upgrade). Bike didn't run well, rear cylinder way lean and blued 2 rear cylinder heat shields. They left rear cylinder lamda locked at 1, blah, blah, where have all the tuners gone...
I fixed using/flashing a different base file making sure the tuning config matched my numbers, for correct ci, injector size, acr off, eitms off, exhaust hdi (euro sold models) off and acr off and used street riding smart tune to get it close and it ran great. And found you can do a LOT with the SE tool but you need to understand the target before you select the weapon and amo.

I attached the difference capabilities between the street tuner and race tuner. Obviously with the race tuner you can tune more. What has to be said is that HD tuners work with limited AFR capabilities in closed loop mode. Other tuners work in closed loop with wide band O2 sensors.
These will give you the potential to get all out of the engine. I always advice novice tuners to read some books in regards to EFI tuning. That way you will understand much more when you start the effective tuning. You will understand as well what the dangers are and what damage can be done by a bad tune. Its what you are planning to do, if you like tuning you better go for a full tuner that enables O2 closed loop tuning at the full AFR range.

Attached Thumbnails Harley Pro Street tuner-photo646.jpg   Harley Pro Street tuner-photo70.jpg  
Old 07-31-2017, 07:14 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,505 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by rrcraw@gmail.com
I don't understand. Please educate me. Doesn't the SESTP tuning config file in the software ("Tuning" tab/section) prior to doing flash of the ECM of the final values or in a VCI record data gathering ride or track (Dyno) run allow changes or support for liquid cooled models??[/left]
At the time I posted this, the Street Tuner only had two Stage 1 base cals for touring twin cooled- 103 stage 1, and 110 stage 1, they have since added an additional stage 1 cal for the 58MM TB added to the rest of the stage 1 kit for the 110s. The street tuner is very limited, both in range and scope- The chart provided by TomCop shows that. It is deceptive- HD says the AFR is 'tunable through VE adjustments", the AFR table can not be changed, and the range of adjustment is +/- 4% in closed loop, and +/-10% in the open loop areas- not much range, but as long as you use the restrictive HD products, enough to keep you in compliance with EPA/DOT. No where near enough for a proper tune if using aftermarket products.