The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

THUNDERMAX: dyno tune + ThunderMax = maps, how?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 09:14 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default dyno tune + ThunderMax = maps, how?

credible ppl say there's only a handful of ppl. who can build a TM map from a dyno..
How is it done?
is it that complicated?
Does it need special cables?

Thx

Last edited by amkaos; 06-11-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,950 Likes on 4,031 Posts

I'm not an expert but have tuned a few builds on a dyno at a Beemer repair shop.. I mainly only to WOT tune to get an peak HP / TQ output.

The map has been typically run on the street for a bit and is whatever was closest to the build. I start by changing WOT timing to get best HP and then I override the AFR to one value and repeat trying to peak WOT HP adjusting the AFR globally. If it ends up being different than the AFRs in the tables, I reset the WOT setting in the tables..

At that point I declare it done as far as the Dyno goes and will tune the rest on the street as I have to pay for dyno time and I have a tendency to change things that change the tune.. If you can get plenty of dyno time, you can use the afr table and timing tables to peak performance at partial throttle positions..

One of the nice things about the Tmax is you can tune on the fly. Most flash program tuners require you stop and reload the map then test the results. On Tmax, you simple move the dot on the graph and the value changes in the module.. Steve Cole of TTS recently started allowing allow for changes on the fly but it only works on the later modules that have more free ram..

Again since I pay for dyno time, I just started to tune partial throttle on the street using Megalogviewer and collecting data. It's helped me pick up about 3 mpg and a little smoother running at lower speeds.

All you really need is the cable and a good laptop.. I'd also request the advanced user software licence from Thunderheart. It's free and unlocks the PC software to add some small features that are good. The important one is injector timing.. Others are the ability to have more than one map open at a time and a way to translate monitor data to ASCII text data to be read into mega log viewer.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:51 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior

wait what? advanced software? where do I find that?
If i tune on the fly, do I put my computer in my Saddlebag plugged in?
and this works for throttle by cable?
Tel me more?
Thx for replying

Last edited by amkaos; 06-19-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by amkaos
wait what? advanced software? where do I find that?
If i tune on the fly, do I put my computer in my Saddlebag plugged in?
and this works for throttle by cable?
Tel me more?
Thx for replying
No... The conditions I was describing was for tuning on a dyno.. You can change map parameters while the motor is running. That means you need a way to measure motor output (dyno) and access to the laptop while the motor is running.. I guess you could mound the laptop to your gas tank and play with parameters while riding but it'd be pretty dangerous.

What is useful is to use a laptop to monitor the motors perforance to see how the tune is doing afterwards.. Gen II systems are a little hokey on how it works but the Gen IIIs are much better. Throttle by wire or throttle by cable should not make any difference.

Tmax is a full time closed loop system so it pretty much auto optimizes AFR while riding with or without a laptop..

The advanced software is already in the program you have.. You only need to request a license from TH to get it..

Still not sure what you are trying to do.. I thought you were trying to tune a bike on a dyno with a Tmax..

Old 06-20-2016, 04:57 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bwoltz
No... The conditions I was describing was for tuning on a dyno.. You can change map parameters while the motor is running. That means you need a way to measure motor output (dyno) and access to the laptop while the motor is running.. I guess you could mound the laptop to your gas tank and play with parameters while riding but it'd be pretty dangerous.

What is useful is to use a laptop to monitor the motors perforance to see how the tune is doing afterwards.. Gen II systems are a little hokey on how it works but the Gen IIIs are much better. Throttle by wire or throttle by cable should not make any difference.

Tmax is a full time closed loop system so it pretty much auto optimizes AFR while riding with or without a laptop..

The advanced software is already in the program you have.. You only need to request a license from TH to get it..

Still not sure what you are trying to do.. I thought you were trying to tune a bike on a dyno with a Tmax..
I was gonna try to build map from a dyno tuner till I found the magic map..
It is so good that I didn't think the gains would justify the cash for the session
Then i was gonna skip scheduled session..

Then you say bout the unlock code..
TM support gave me the code..

One big purpose for it, they say, is so the software can be used in conjunction with a
dyno..

I do see some features that weren't there pre-unlocked.

Then i find that there's another code for advanced SmartLink but idk
What it does..

Last edited by amkaos; 06-20-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by amkaos
I was gonna try to build map from a dyno tuner till I found the magic map..
It is so good that I didn't think the gains would justify the cash for the session
Then i was gonna skip scheduled session..

Then you say bout the unlock code..
TM support gave me the code..

One big purpose for it, they say, is so the software can be used in conjunction with a
dyno..

I do see some features that weren't there pre-unlocked.

Then i find that there's another code for advanced SmartLink but idk
What it does..

I saw in the other post where you found a map that works much better. That's good.. Like I wrote above the added features are not that much, the important ones were:

It's free and unlocks the PC software to add some small features that are good. The important one is injector timing.. Others are the ability to have more than one map open at a time and a way to translate monitor data to ASCII text data to be read into mega log viewer.
If you have slightly rough running under light loads, and large injectors its best to cut the timing back towards 360.. Having more than 1 map open at a time allows you to compare maps.. Converting logs to text allows you to view what is going on in tabular form for plus you can use a log viewer to graphically view the data over time.. These are all really valuable when tweaking maps.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Out of curiousity, whats you build and what maps did you try?

Old 06-21-2016, 12:18 AM
amkaos
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Out of curiousity, whats you build and what maps did you try?
My mechanic, who sold me and installed TM, put me into the weeds several times before i decided he's not atall a tuner..

i only knew some of the components... map 862 is the best..
The rest of what you talked about... i don't know how to use.
would be great to know.

Thx