The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: Dynotune

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 02:17 PM
jackmitchell.0149@gmail.com
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynotune

I just have a few questions about custom dynotunes. How can you verify you bike had a custom tune done because I think the dealers lied to me. I negotiated a custom tune on my bike when I bought it and they said they couldnt find my bikes dyno sheet because it was done on a internal work order.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 671 Posts

Jack, I instructed technicians on tuning Harley's for many years. It's pretty standard that when a bike is tuned, the operator makes a folder with the customer name, last six of vin or other identifier. That's how they can always find your runs.

If they used an SE Pro Super Tuner, the last map through the key is saved and you can retrieve it any time and compare it to its original numbers. Also, pretty much any aftermarket high end tuner product lets you retrieve and look at the map.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

So if they pull up my map on my tuner I should be able to see what changes were from the base map to the custom map. What are some other things I could use to prove it was not tuned because the guy who delivered the bike said it wasnt tuned but the service manager said it was but cant produce documentation.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Tsani
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jackmitchell.0149@gmail.com
So if they pull up my map on my tuner I should be able to see what changes were from the base map to the custom map. What are some other things I could use to prove it was not tuned because the guy who delivered the bike said it wasnt tuned but the service manager said it was but cant produce documentation.
You can pull it up on your own computer to look at what map was installed and compare it to an unchanged version.
Sounds like your getting the run around.
What device was used to tune the bike and was it given to you?

Old 06-05-2016, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tsani
You can pull it up on your own computer to look at what map was installed and compare it to an unchanged version.
Sounds like your getting the run around.
What device was used to tune the bike and was it given to you?
The screaming eagle supertuner was used

Old 06-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Tsani
Cruiser

If you have the device, and you should as you paid for it, then you can install the software to your computer and pull the file that was loaded into your bike. Not sure if the SEST saves the original tune file that was in the ecm before it was retuned. You can can compare the file pulled to an unchanged one to see if changes were made and I would certainly hope so. Otherwise, they just put a canned map in and said it was good to go. And to honest with you, if that is what they did, unless they acknowledge it and work with you there is not much that can be done about it. The software should have come with the VCI, (the orange device). Cables you would need to buy separately.

Last edited by Tsani; 06-05-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tsani
If you have the device, and you should as you paid for it, then you can install the software to your computer and pull the file that was loaded into your bike. Not sure if the SEST saves the original tune file that was in the ecm before it was retuned. You can can compare the file pulled to an unchanged one to see if changes were made and I would certainly hope so. Otherwise, they just put a canned map in and said it was good to go. And to honest with you, if that is what they did, unless they acknowledge it and work with you there is not much that can be done about it. The software should have come with the VCI, (the orange device). Cables you would need to buy separately.
Thanks man

Old 06-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by jackmitchell.0149@gmail.com
...How can you verify you bike had a custom tune done because I think the dealers lied to me...
Unless YOUR definition of a custom tune is the same as the one tuning the bike, you'll get THEIR definition of a custom tune. To ASSUME both definitions are the same is likely to result in disappointment.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:00 PM
Tsani
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Unless YOUR definition of a custom tune is the same as the one tuning the bike, you'll get THEIR definition of a custom tune. To ASSUME both definitions are the same is likely to result in disappointment.
True.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
My definition of custom tune is a tune that was written specifically for you bike based off the datalogs from the dyno runs.

Quick Reply: HARLEY: Dynotune