The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: Issues after Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:08 PM
jyoder4241
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues after Stage 1

Hello, everyone! I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm putting this in the proper section.

I have a 2014 Fat Boy FLSTF that has had the Stage 1 upgrades. I have 3" Cobra Slip-Ons, HD Stage 1 Air Cleaner and had the Stage 1 tuning done at my dealership with a Pro Super Tuner.

While I'm generally happy with the performance gain there are now issues with the bike that I'm having trouble overlooking.

First is I have absolutely HORRIBLE deceleration popping.
Second is that my fuel mileage has gone from 40's to high 20's low 30's.

I've had it at the dealership again for additional tuning and they're telling me that they can't get it fixed with downloads for Smart Tune.

Thinking that maybe they were doing something wrong I watched the Pro Super Tuner training videos and have done several recorded runs and attempted to Smart Tune myself, still no luck.

At this point I'm about ready to throw the Super Tuner in the trash and buy an FP3, if that doesn't work, going back to stock equipment.

If anyone has any ideas for me I'd love to hear them. I can email my recorded run and tuning files if someone would like to look at them.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 04-23-2016, 06:46 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 306 Likes on 211 Posts

Sounds like you need to find a competent tuner. The Pro Super Tuner is very capable in the right hands. It's a MUCH better device than a FP3 in my opinion. Make sure that you have no exhaust leaks first, then find a person that knows how to tune. Where are you located?

Old 04-23-2016, 06:53 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

I agree with jbarr1, the Super Tuner is one of the best tuning devices out there. (In the right hands). I can recover tuner that is great with them but they might be a bit of a hike for you, depending on where you are in Michigan. They are in Ohio, just outside of Sandusky in a town called Monroeville.

Things to check would be leaks, both exhaust and intake and also make sure your o2 sensors are plugged in correct (front and rear)

Old 04-24-2016, 10:05 AM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds to me like you have the SE Street tuner. It is still EPA compliant and has limited functionality.

When I did my stage 1 setup with slip-ons and AC I had the same issue. Lots of decel popping and a single pop between each gear shift. This is not able to be tuned out by the Street tuner or canned calibrations from Harley. You would need the race tuner or aftermarket tuner to fix this.

Also of note is by changing the exhaust you removed the catalytic converters and your exhaust is much more free flowing so you will get more pronounced decel pop as it is no longer muffled by the cat.

Take that street tuner back to the dealership and buy the race tuner or an aftermarket one of your choice.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:37 AM
jyoder4241
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rbeamj
Sounds to me like you have the SE Street tuner. It is still EPA compliant and has limited functionality.

When I did my stage 1 setup with slip-ons and AC I had the same issue. Lots of decel popping and a single pop between each gear shift. This is not able to be tuned out by the Street tuner or canned calibrations from Harley. You would need the race tuner or aftermarket tuner to fix this.

Also of note is by changing the exhaust you removed the catalytic converters and your exhaust is much more free flowing so you will get more pronounced decel pop as it is no longer muffled by the cat.

Take that street tuner back to the dealership and buy the race tuner or an aftermarket one of your choice.
I checked my exhaust for leaks, nothing wrong there. The O2 sensors are in place and plugged in, the wires look good.

I DO have the Pro Super Tuner, not the Street tuner so that's not the issue either.

My dealership just keeps telling me to bring it back and they will keep working on it so I think I need to fine someone else that knows what they're doing.

I'm up in Northern Michigan. So there's nobody close that does this type of work. My closest dealership is an hour away.

I'm going to try tuning again using the instructions at the bottom of the page and see if that improves things.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:52 PM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

With the race tuner from Harley you should be able to richen up the decel portion.

Don't just do a smart tune. Connect the VCI to your bike and bring a laptop with you. Connect the USB cable to the VCI and open the software. On the left side will be lots and lots of options. One should be decel enrichment or something similar. Increase the enrichment slightly and retest.

I have not used that program in some time so my memory may be a bit fuzzy but you can get rid of that decel popping. I think something in the neighborhood of 13-1 may be a good starting point.

A pro tuner will chime in I'm sure and would defer to them

Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 AM
jyoder4241
1st Gear
Default Update!

After taking some of the advice I was able to solve most of the issues I was having.

I reflashed the bike with the stock stage 1 map then changed decel enleanment settings to add more fuel during decel. I've almost eliminated all the decel pop and my fuel mileage is back to high 30's and I've noticed a more responsive throttle.

There is an HD dealership about 3 hours from me that has great word of mouth about their dyno tuning. May take a trip south and pay them a visit.