The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Dunlop Taxi Tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:52 PM
MudFlap379
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunlop Taxi Tire

I'm starting a new thread here. I've decided to take the Wobblestone off and go with another tire. I know Quadancer has has great success with the Dunlop taxi tire. Has anyone else used this on the pre-09 models? What were your impressions? Any problems? Specifically with wobbling?

Old 06-20-2014, 12:15 AM
MudFlap379
Cruiser

Or how about this Firestone Coker 550/16?

https://www.universaltire.com/firest...blackwall.html

Old 07-01-2014, 12:28 AM
MudFlap379
Cruiser

Well, I got the Dunlop Taxi tire on the ole girl. It's supposedly the same dimensions as the Austone, but I'd say it's a tad shorter, and a bit narrower. It was easier to stuff it in the fender. I notice the tread isn't as flat as the 'Stone, so the rear braking isn't as good. I'll say the wobble isn't anything like the 'Stone. I get a bit up around 80mph, but I think that'll go away as the tire breaks in. The sidewalls are much stiffer than the Austone, which I'm sure is what makes it much more stable.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:32 AM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Keep us updated on how you like this tire. I'm not done yet.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 PM
MudFlap379
Cruiser

Okay, so here's where I am. I put the Dunlop on, and started with 25 PSI, and had some wobble. Worked my way to 30 and 35, with some improvement as I went. 35 PSI gives me some wobble at around 80. I went up to 40 today, but haven't taken her out for a good high speed test yet.

As stated before, braking isn't anywhere near what the Austone was capable of, because the tread pattern isn't quite as wide, and the Dunlop seems to be a shade bit rounded, where the Austone was a nice flat tread.

I haven't experienced any tail light rubbing with the Dunlop, either. The Dunnie feels just a smidge shorter, which I'm sure helps with that some.

Quadancer, what PSI are you running in yer Dunlop taxi tire?

On my Austone thread, I talked about Alan telling me car tires finish curing while being used, and that often takes a couple thousand miles. Quadancer said in that same thread that his Dunlop had some high speed wobble at first, but that went away. I think mine will go away, as the tire continues to cure. We shall see.

Also, I'll say that Universal Tire did me a solid too. Since I'd just bought the Austone, and it didn't work out for me, UT sold me the Dunlop for $203. It was a little break, that paid for most of the shipping. I don't remember exactly, but I think the Dunlop is $225 on their website?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

All true. I expect that little wiggle to go away in under 1k, so don't be concerned, and when it does it, still don't worry: it ain't goin' nowhere.
I run 34 lbs, but that is irrelevant to your RK. The sweet spot is what works for the bike, rider, load, aerodynamics, and riding style, so you just have to keep experimenting.
I had to run the Aussie at 55 lbs, the Vredestein at 36.
Also, gauges aren't always accurate, so just use ONE gauge for all your measurements.
That short shield on the fairing will probably save you a lot of uncomfortability.
I'm REALLY wanting to see a report on the Firestone, since it's the only alternative we have. It looks like braking would really suk, being so narrow, but you never know.

Come to think of it; I need to get another Killboy board sparking shot: I have Patriot Defenders 2-1 exhaust and my windshield I shaped and cut down to lessen the buffeting
behind trucks...sadly, didn't work.

Last edited by Quadancer; 07-01-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:03 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Quadancer, not to change the subject, but, being you mentioned it, how do you like your Patriot Pipes? Have you experimented with the different settings, and if so, any appreciable difference in performance having the shutterfly open or closed?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Sadly, even with torque cams in this tractor there is very little difference in power with different gate settings.
That said, it is super nice to be able to adjust the volume and they are cheap as well- just a bit hinky fitting up to the jugs. I run the gate half open and the sound is awesome- a lot like a drag boat, with a slight rapoff on decell. Closed it's like a sewing machine and will start blowing glass out behind the gate, wide open will hurt your ears and have people calling the cops.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm REALLY wanting to see a report on the Firestone, since it's the only alternative we have. It looks like braking would really suk, being so narrow, but you never know.

Quadancer. What you talkin bout?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:21 AM
MudFlap379
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Panchorelly

Quadancer. What you talkin bout?
I'm thinking he's referring to the second post in this thread.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Taxi Tire