The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Went to the DS on my 07 E Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:22 PM
MudFlap379
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to the DS on my 07 E Glide

Put on my brand new Austone 176-16 today. Trimmed the belt guard just a hair to relieve rubbing. Aired the tire up to 35 psi, and took her out out for a spin. At about 70MPH she developed a horrible wobble. Didn't stop wobbling till I got slowed down to around 50. Took her back to the garage, and added 5 psi. I've incrementally added 5 psi till now she's up to 50 psi, and I haven't been able to get it dialed in. The wobbles happen at slower speeds around curves. I gotta either get this dialed in with a quickness, or go back to a MC tire. As it is right now, I have no confidence in the bike. That wobble the first time scared me pretty bad, as it was a very pronounced shake. My buddy was following me and it scared the hell outta him. As for me, well, I spent the next 10 minutes pulling seat cushion foam outta my ***.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:05 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

What did you use to balance the tire?

I have 16 oz of Ride On in mine CT and it has never even tried to wobble. Bike runs smooth as silk.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:53 PM
MudFlap379
Cruiser

PFWiz, I didn't have computer balancing available, so it was done the old fashioned way.. on a balance beam with weights. I also put 16 once of RideOn in my tire.

Yours being a 2011, you have many more tire options at your disposal. Us Pre-'09ers are limited to the Austone. it has a 2 ply sidewall, and is rather flimsy. I wish I'd known beforehand that it was made in China.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:08 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MudFlap379
PFWiz, I didn't have computer balancing available, so it was done the old fashioned way.. on a balance beam with weights. I also put 16 once of RideOn in my tire.

Yours being a 2011, you have many more tire options at your disposal. Us Pre-'09ers are limited to the Austone. it has a 2 ply sidewall, and is rather flimsy. I wish I'd known beforehand that it was made in China.
I have read about alot of folks who had good luck with the Austone. Try searching for a member named Quad Dancer. I think he rocks an Austone.

Also you may want to try taking off the weights. The Ride On alone will balance you tire better than anything else.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:36 PM
dave anderson
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop air to 30 psi and put at least 24-28 oz of ride on and remove them wheel weights let the ride on do its job to need to put a half bottle more in its a bigger tire

Old 05-15-2014, 09:08 PM
MudFlap379
Cruiser

I feel the problem is the weak 2-ply sidewalls. When I make a turn, and add some fuel, the ole girl feels "squishy" back there. Yesterday, I went and bought the RideOn, rode back to the house, put it in the tire, and started with 30 psi, working my way back up. At 30 psi, I took the on-ramp, which is a long 25mph curve. I took it about 30 MPH, and upon exiting the curve, I smelled rubber burning. I bumped up the pressure, and stopped that. Currently, I've got it set at 45. I can ease up to 70, but she's wanting to walk all over. At 70, I can't take a gentle curve. I hafta shut her down to about 60.

I was mistaken about how much RideOn I have in the tire. The bottle was 7oz, @ $14. I can't justify spending another $28 on that, if it ain't gonna work.

So, I guess the question is - is putting another coupla bottles of that really gonna have a good chance of success, or am I probably dumping more $ down the drain?

I did double check the alignment of the rear wheel, and it seems to be dialed in, so I have eliminated that as a source of problem.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:20 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default no way

I really don't think this is a balance problem. Are you sure the tire is seated all the way around the bead?

I doubt adding more will benefit you. 7oz should be plenty.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:40 PM
dave anderson
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to the ride on website and give the dimensions of the austone taxi tire it clearly states to remove the weights and install almost all of two 16 oz bottles 24-28 oz for best results ! I can go any speed and have no wobble ! Hope you figure it out !

Old 05-16-2014, 06:22 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
I really don't think this is a balance problem. Are you sure the tire is seated all the way around the bead?

I doubt adding more will benefit you. 7oz should be plenty.
Ride On recommends 16 oz for a car tire.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:39 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

7 oz is way to little, you should be at least 14 oz-21 oz, hell I have 10 oz in my mc tire I would double and take the weights off....had weights on my front with tag gel and it bounced, I took the wights off and voila...

Last edited by Notgrownup; 05-16-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Went to the DS on my 07 E Glide