The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Service Mgr comment

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013 | 12:11 PM
tx-skydiver
|
Road Warrior
Default Service Mgr comment

Funny story

Had mine in for service and the mgr came to me and said "you're gonna put a MC tire back on that next time, right?" I said hell no. He asked why and I told him the benefits of the CT. He was shocked on how happy I was. Another tech even backed me up on my explanation. He then said "well don't tell anyone that, ok? It isn't good for my business.

Old 07-26-2013 | 01:12 PM
FLHProadkill
Tourer

It's all about the money. I had a hard time deciphering the BS, people who never tried it but still have to comment and the people who did try it.
An open mind help read between the lines. Dunlop or any other MC tire manufacture will never say it works. Money!
CT manufacture are saying nothing probably cause of liability.

I have yet to take it in to HD for work but from the reaction of the Indy I can't wait.

I wonder if the tech who backed U up is still there? Money!

Good luck and safe riding.

Old 07-27-2013 | 08:51 AM
tx-skydiver
|
Road Warrior

I think he actually got a little educated. He seemed to have an open mind about it and was surprised with how happy I was about it. His comment was half in jest. If he were really not happy with me moving away from things he could sell me he would have also made a comment about my Commander II in front.

Old 09-05-2013 | 08:20 PM
jakson200369
Advanced

Man I have seen most of the shops refuse to mount a car tire. But those shops also refuse to mount carry-ins as well. You can usually find one that will do it, and yes they want you to sign a waiver.
Just call around, one of the independents will usually do it.
It is a different ride, takes some getting used to. If a person is really considering doing such; keep an open mind, take no passengers until YOU feel comfortable, and give it 1K miles before doing either.
I ran through an intersection once that had a dip in it, laid into the throttle in the bottom of the dip, left one hell of a wide black mark on the top of that intersection.
That was on my 2003 VTX 1800. That tire also got to see the top side of 100 mph on many occassions.
I normally ride 80mph +, also part of the reason I got rid of the 1800 and got a Harley. I know I'll get bashed for that last statement, but it is true.
The Harley will handle it fine, only bike a tire like that will not work on is a crotch-rocket, lot more lean angle there!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2014 | 10:27 PM
Lucky Doug
Tourer

I can understand that a business man would hear the conversation and say "well don't tell anyone that, ok? It isn't good for my business". I can't understand a business man that would ignore a new trends and a chance to get on the leading edge of a path for new revenue.

Old 02-17-2014 | 11:33 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

the moco is not going to sit quietly while a dealer starts selling car tires...most dealers only stock harley branded tires-might order a special motorcycle tire for you. wonder how ol' "delux chuck" would handle this?

Old 02-19-2014 | 12:07 PM
DAKSY
Tourer

Service Manager at my dealer said he'd mount a CT on mine, labor rate would be 50% higher for parts not purchased there & I'd have to sign a waiver. Just got the Wet Head & I won't decide on going to the CT until I see how the OEM rear wears & how long it lasts...

Old 02-19-2014 | 12:31 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I've seen videos on CT and because I do 90% road travel, my tires wear in the middle. They told me I needed to do more turning. That's not easy on the highway. But a CT seems like it'd be better for my kind of riding.

Old 02-19-2014 | 11:41 PM
FLHProadkill
Tourer

Running a CT strictly on the hwy will give you the maximum ware. Just remember to hit the twisty's once in awhile to get use to the handling difference. You don't want to get caught in a group ride and not use to the CT.

Good luck.

I finally had to take mine in for some work. The service manager asked how I like it but didn't comment. One of the service guys asked me about it when no one was looking.

I try not to be negative when asked about it. If they have their minds already set then I don't want to start something which will only start a dead end debate. For service managers who depend on us buying their parts I usually just say I'm trying it out to see how it works out.

Good luck to all who have made the move and those thinking about it.

Old 02-19-2014 | 11:53 PM
Mcdave
Tourer

Ok , I feel stupid now, but I know nothing of this CT on a MC business.
Can someone provide me with a link?
I ride on the Hwy. a lot and eat rear tires in a hurry!
This has me intrigued.

Quick Reply: Service Mgr comment