The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Service Mgr comment

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014 | 12:19 AM
FLHProadkill
Tourer

Start looking through all the posts here on the darkside. Their is a ton of pro and con posts. Look at the comments from those who have tried it and make your decision. I read until I was totally confused and had to weed out all the con posts.
I'm totally happy with the change.
Here's my two cents worth....
1. I was upset to have to pay so much for a back tire that would only last a year. I started looking for a better solution and that started my search here.
2. Remember.... this is not a racing option. No racer in his right mind will do this because racers have a specific use for racing MC tires.
3. Had trouble finding someone locally to change it so I did it myself.
4. I didn't and wish I did, use dyna beads.
5. I ride almost strictly on the hwy. It rides really really good IMHO.
6. You'll have to get use to the different way it handles in the curve. Take it easy at first then you'll stop noticing it.
I have close to 10K on mine and it looks new. Can't say that for the MT.

Good luck

Old 02-20-2014 | 08:45 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Mcdave
Ok , I feel stupid now, but I know nothing of this CT on a MC business.
Can someone provide me with a link?
I ride on the Hwy. a lot and eat rear tires in a hurry!
This has me intrigued.
You could start here, this is a link to my review of my dark side experience...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-d...ng-review.html

Quadancer is another forum member who rides the dark side and I think he wrote a review also....

Old 02-20-2014 | 03:37 PM
Mcdave
Tourer

@ PFWhiz, thanks for the link.
Read the entire post and now I am MORE interested.
What kind of life expectancy do you..... expect?
Have you ridden any twistys/challenging roads?

Old 02-20-2014 | 04:11 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
I think he actually got a little educated. He seemed to have an open mind about it and was surprised with how happy I was about it. His comment was half in jest. If he were really not happy with me moving away from things he could sell me he would have also made a comment about my Commander II in front.

My guess is he was just pacifying you. It is not a question of money it is a question of design, and yes, possible liability. Car tires are not designed and or rated for motorcycle applications. I can already feel the flames but I have heard so much on sales lore driven towards putting a car tire on a motorcycle. It is not a good or safe practice. First death even if it has no connection to the improper tires and the lawyers will have a field day. Driver A contributed to his own death by installing a car tire on his motorcycle so we feel his is 50 % responsible. He would have been able to stop when driver B pulled in front of him if he had the proper tires. I am not slamming any body for putting a car tire on their bike but as you can see I do have an opinion on it.

Old 02-21-2014 | 06:53 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Mcdave
@ PFWhiz, thanks for the link.
Read the entire post and now I am MORE interested.
What kind of life expectancy do you..... expect?
Have you ridden any twistys/challenging roads?
Not sure about the life expectancy. Probably much longer than a bike tire, but that is not why I switched. I wanted the better braking and better wet riding. Also my wife has very bad Fibro and she really appreciates the smoother ride.

In my opinion while the bike handles differently, the overall handling at speed is at least as good as with the OEM tire to the (admittedly limited) limits of my abilities. I can keep up with most of my riding buddies on challenging roads, no sweat.

If want to talk about serious handling with a car tire, talk to Quadancer. He says he can drag his pegs just as hard with his car tire as he ever could with motorcycle tire....

Old 05-07-2014 | 09:24 AM
rafael53
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
Another tech even backed me up on my explanation.
I've had the tech AND manager at one of my local dealers tell me I can go with either a CT or MT on my bike if I wanted to. Guess it depends on where you go I guess.

I've had CTs on and off back in the'70s. Had nothing to do with better or worse or cost but availability. Got to remember no personal computers much less internet back then so we had to go into shops to get our stuff.

It seem like every part I ever needed had to be ordered...especialy tires. Could take up to 6 weeks for delivery. We found car tires everywhere...and yes cheaper.

Never heard of any mishap in all these years due to a CT on a motorcycle though....but I live a sheltered life .