The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Tire choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012 | 08:10 PM
rkoivisto
|
Road Warrior
Default Tire choice

I've only got 8K on my rear tire now and it's looking good, but I've got a spare set of wheels and I want to have a new front and rear tire mounted and waiting at all times so I never have to worry about down time due to tires.

I've got a BT45 on order for the front rim. It's a rear MC tire that's the same size (140 80 16) as the stock tire.

I keep going back and forth on the rear though. On this forum the SP5000 is the hot ticket, but the Wingers are all siked on a Michelin run flat (Alpin). Both tire are right in the $150 price range.The Michelin is a snow tire and I think the Dunny would outlast it. It would be nice to have a runflat in that I would never have to worry about being stranded with a flat tire.

I bought a used SP5000 off ebay and found it had a nail through it right at the edge of the tread. I plugged it and put it on one day to see how it handled and I liked it better than the Goodyear I'm currently running. I didn't trust the plug partially in the sidwall though so I don't want to put it back on.

I thought I'd throw this out and see if anyone could come up with a logical reason to choose one over the other.

Old 11-23-2012 | 12:17 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain

Randy,

I run into this when I was researching the CT for my bike.

While looking for data of accidents caused by a CT, (there isn't any) I run into two accounts where Goldwing riders had a flat while using the Michelin runflats. Apparently, there is a rubber doughnut inside that keeps the tire from collapsing when flat. They didn't feel it and kept on riding, and the tires got damaged.

This is why I chose to go with an SP5000 instead, and looking back, it was the right decision. I had my first SP5000 for a little over 20,000 miles, had three flats, I plugged all three with conventional plugs (as opposed to mushroom plugs) and never had a problem with any of the repairs. I gave up my tire when the sidewall got cut, and got another SP5000 which I am running now.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Old 11-23-2012 | 07:19 PM
rkoivisto
|
Road Warrior
Default Dunny

Thanks 2EZ,

I think you're right.