The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Third DS Attempt on the '07 'Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 12:08 AM
MudFlap379
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third DS Attempt on the '07 'Glide

First venture was with the Austone:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-d...7-e-glide.html

Second was with the Dunlop Taxi tire:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-d...taxi-tire.html

Here's the saga on the third:

I decided to go with one I've not heard mentioned on here; the Dunlop Graspic DS-3 size 175 60 16. Being limited to a 175 max width leaves us extremely limited in the tire sizes we can choose from. The Austone and Dunlop Taxi were both extremely tall tires (IMO), and that caused 2 problems. 1) I felt the bike was too tall and I didn't have much leverage to push back, and 2) If I didn't keep 25 psi in the shocks, I'd hit a bump and the tire would rub in the fender. This caused my wiring harness to get chewed up by the tire.

Also, with the tire so tall, the ole girl didn't have much "umph" off the line, but once goin, she could really stretch out and roll with the rpm's just easing along at highway speeds. She'd begin to lug on the hills tho. Having said that, both the first two tires didn't feel stable enough, so 75mph was reeeeally stretching it. Being the frugal bastard I am, I ran both tires 6000 miles. I had to at least get MC tire mileage out of em to justify the expense I put into both of those tires. $200 each, which in all fairness, was a bit more than I MC tire would've cost me.

And now, here we are to the latest chapter of the DS Story on MudFlap's '07.

The first thing I noticed about this tire was that the tread compound was pretty soft, leading me to believe braking and traction should be really good, as I'd get a good grip. This is a winter traction tire, so I kinda felt wet pavement braking should be enhanced. I appear to have been mistaken, as it doesn't seem to be any better than the bike tire. The Austone was phenomenal in this arena. The Dunlop Taxi tire wasn't anything to write home about either.

Next is performance. Well, such a small diameter tire effectively lowered the final gear ratio, and that's pretty awesome. After the ole girl feeling like a turd on takeoff because of the previous tall tires, this one was noticeably better. The butt-dyno says this one is a definite GO. Also, burnouts are a blast on this tire. I could never get the taller ones to break loose.

Perhaps most importantly, and the review y'all are waiting to hear is "Yeah, but how does she ride?" Well, here it is. I started out @ 25psi. I could tell right away that was way too low, as she was really wobbly and squishy in her *** end. I'm up to 50 pounds now, and she's rideable @ 70-75, but gets squirelly after that, just like the predecessors. Despite the warning on the sidewall saying not to seat bead over 40psi, it took 125 to get her to pop.

Such a small tire made the ground speed indicator read pretty fast, so I bought a SpeedoTuner for the 6 speed Big Twins, installed it today, and calibrated. Worked like a charm. Instructions say to remove the starter, but I'm an aircraft mechanic, and used to working with one hand on 2 hand jobs without being able to see what I'm doing, so I elected to try an alternate method. I removed the right side cover, used a 90 degree hook scribe to unlatch/disconnect the VSS wire from the VSS, and plugged the unit in. Saved me lots of time doing it that way.

The following are mods I've performed on the bike to improve handling - none of which seemed to have helped anything.u

Rivera Primo Stiffey kit - designed to help overcome the inadequacies of the rubber isolators on the singarm. No help.

http://www.riveraprimoinc.com/html/new-suspension.html

Progressive Suspension Touring Link Didn't help.

Found an interesting thread here on the forums somewhere about the bagger wobble solved with a better set of swingarm bearings. I replaced them with this new tire change. The old bearings had some play in em, so it didn't hurt to change em, but it didn't help.

Greased and adjusted steering neck bearings. Again, probably didn't hurt anything, but didn't help either.

So, here are my observations over the thousands of wobbly miles I've put on car tires:

Weight seems to be everything. Oddly enough, I can put 100 pounds or more on the bitch seat, and ride perfectly. No wobble, no uneasy feeling, rides and handles great. I can be riding along, kick my feet out onto the highway pegs, and scooch my butt forward a bit, and the ride gets worse. Anything I do that puts weight forward on the bike induces wobble.

Acceleration: I can hammer the throttle all the way up to 85, and as long as I'm accelerating, she's okay. The moment I let off and go into cruise mode, the ride gets wobbly. Curves, however, are the exception. I hafta be slowed to a known safe speed, as hitting the throttle in a curve will induce a wobble.

I've spent about all the time and money I wanna spend on this problem, and think I'll go back to a bike tire next go around, unless anyone has any good ideas. A friend of mine has offered to give me the stock shocks off his '10, if they'll work I'll try them. Only other thing I can think of is fork oil change, and maybe bike alignment, but the alignment seems okay from what I can tell. I doubt I can take it to the Harley shop to have it checked/adjusted because I have a car tire on it; I doubt they'll touch it. Plus it's cost prohibitive.

I'm curious to see if anyone else would try this tire and post their findings. At $101 shipped, it's not a terribly expensive trial..... much less so than the Austone or Dunnie Taxi. I wonder if I'm the only one who would have this trouble?

Old 02-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Don81
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you strap a gopro back there, or even an old unused phone with a camera on it or something with some duct tape, and shoot some video of the issue?

Reading through this and your previous experiences I can feel your pain, but all the troubleshooting has been based on throwing parts at theories.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

04 egc. I tried and I'm done. Motorcycle tire for me from now on.