117 Large Metal Shavings in Primary

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024 | 10:38 AM
RedRocket99
|
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 117 Large Metal Shavings in Primary

Took bike into dealership for 1k service. Break in was done per owners manual, never went about 4k RPMS etc… when I went to pick the bike up I was shown pictures of large metal shavings that were found in the primary and fuzzies and normal break in metal dust captured by the plug magnet. What is concerning to me is that the larger half inch flat metal shavings were non magnetic. Three Harley techs took the primary apart and couldn’t find anything with scoring so they slapped it back together and gave it to me and told me not to worry and come back for the 5k service. It didn’t really set well with me. This is my third Harley so I understand the primary can have some muck from the clutch and can be some dirty *** oil but I didn’t expect this from the 1k service…. Any ideas on what it could be? Possibly shavings from the manufacturer not cleaning it well??? Or a bearing? Any help will be appreciated.

Old 03-03-2024 | 12:05 PM
cobra23
Road Captain
Received 533 Likes on 292 Posts

I recommend that you get the dealer to give you both the pics and a write up of what was found, in case they try to screw you over on any possible future repair.

Then I would ride it and see if any issues show up.

The following users liked this post:
luckiestiff (03-03-2024)