Support for The Troops and their Families This is the place to give and get information about Support for our Troops and their Families.

Who here has family serving in a war zone right now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:13 PM
MattYeoman
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who here has family serving in a war zone right now?

I'd like to know what you did to support your family that are over there.

My little brother is over in Afghanistan right now. He's infantry with 3RCR (we're Canadian, so that's The Royal Canadian Regiment). He has been over there for a little more than a month.

He's been in the military since he was 16, and is now 24. The military has been his whole life. He's jammed into infantry because of stupid political reasons. He's really Airborne. That's how I think of him. Crazy enough to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Also qualified in radio operation, machine gun trained, explosives, and he drives the deuce and a halfs.

I just want to know what I can do to make his time easier, and happier. What to send? Are any of you guys vets of this particular war, what did you wish you had?

I'd really like to hear alot of stories here guys. It would be very appreciated.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:27 PM
tseek555
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a nephew over in Irag, 3rd time. He say the two things that are most appreciated are snacks, stuff that will last a while, beef jerky, nuts, cookies, candy bars anything that they can carry with them and keep them going in the field. The other is reading material for down time, mags, books etc. Anything at all from home and family helps them cope with the "BS' they go through on a daily basis. Also tell him thanks from Oregon, keep his spirts up and his head low...Doug

Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 PM
MattYeoman
Advanced

Reading material......dude you just gave me the awesomest idea! Thank you so much!

Old 10-17-2008, 05:26 AM
sgtjstull
Intermediate

Do you know what FOB he's at?? I'm at Salerno on the East Side and can help him out if he ever needs supplies(for about 5 more months)....I'm a U.S. Army supply guy!! That goes for anyone ever at Salerno...I'll help out as much as I can!! For being over here in Afghanistan for 7 years(the KBR guys)....they still haven't figured out how to cook anything!!! Food from home is always a good idea!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Treek
Cruiser

MattY,

I was over there a few years ago for 10 months. Anything that reminded me of my normal life at home made me happy. I really enjoyed getting magazines from home. Life seemed a little bit better knowing what was going on at home (even if the Bears and Blackhawks were losing). Also, any type of candy got eaten up pretty quick. It amazing what helps the morale sometimes...

Old 10-17-2008, 12:48 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got out of the Army in 2005, my kid went in in 2007. she's in Bagdad working in a hospital. they all like any candy that doesn't melt, toliet items, lotion, magazines, DVD's and CD's. Lots of pictures are good. I teach at a high school ,so my kids always do up a couple of big boxes of everything for Christmas and send to a unit over there for them to pick through. they all do letters addressed to Any GI, USA too. the troops always enjoy that.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:45 PM
MattYeoman
Advanced

Originally Posted by sgtjstull
Do you know what FOB he's at?? I'm at Salerno on the East Side and can help him out if he ever needs supplies(for about 5 more months)....I'm a U.S. Army supply guy!! That goes for anyone ever at Salerno...I'll help out as much as I can!! For being over here in Afghanistan for 7 years(the KBR guys)....they still haven't figured out how to cook anything!!! Food from home is always a good idea!!!

I'll ask and see where exactly he's at. Thanks a f*cking million if you can do anything at all to make his time over there easier. It really means alot to me man.

I've been a military stories junkie my whole life. It's really messing with my head to know that all the stoires I've read are happening to my little brother right now. The details will differ for sure, but the 'routine' of battle should be for the most part similar.

Thanks for the other ideas guys. It's really great that you've done this for other people, and shared it with me. I think I need to send him some Halloween candy.

But the reading idea. I'm friends with a professional comic book artist. About a year and a half ago he drew a war story comic book. One of the characters in the story was named Sgt. Yeoman. Yes my real last name is Yeoman. It was a happy coincidence, and the writer found out about it before it went to publication, so that made him decide to keep the name in the story.......but yeah. It was awesome seeing my family name in print, and I want my little brother to have that story to read while he's over there. BUT, as an added bonus, I'm getting my friend, the comic book artist, to autograph it for my brother before I send it to him. Lets see anyone else get their little brother a gift like that!

Old 10-18-2008, 01:26 AM
HawkPilot
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been to Iraq and will be in Afghanistan shortly. The above listed is all accurate, with the colder months approaching (November-February) you can send items that would melt or go bad in other months while in transit (chocolate, candies, chap stick,etc.). Things that remind you of home are great and one of the better items I received, but most simple, was a subscription to my hometown newspaper. It usually arrived about two weeks after print, but I enjoyed it and several of my guys always looked forward to it. Anything to keep you linked to home is great.
Another idea that would be useful, the phones (if not using a military line) are prepaid. I had the same pin number for use of this phone the whole time I was there. I would use it to call home whenever possible. You can "recharge" the pin number with more minutes on the internet. If you find out the phone service and get his pin from him you could buy him some time to use to call home.
Some store bought items that are nice while in a desert environment, but hard to come by in country...gum, flavor packets for the bottled water (gatorade, tea powders, etc.), hard/individually wrapped candies that can be carried in your pocket and eaten at leisure or passed out to children while on patrol.

V/r,

Rich

Old 10-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Simatank
Tourer

Been in Afghanistan 2 times my self,I'm also in the Infantry In in Canada (PPCLI) and one thing every guy wants and needs over there is Drink crystals!!! when you are drinkin 14 or 15 liters of water a day you need something to put in it.My big bro keept sending me ice tea mix (sounds dump but it helps) I would go throw a huge can every couple weeks

Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 PM
MattYeoman
Advanced

Makes sense Simatank, I hear its hot and stuff over there, eh.

Quick Reply: Who here has family serving in a war zone right now?