Support for The Troops and their Families This is the place to give and get information about Support for our Troops and their Families.

Was looking through my grandfathers stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007 | 11:38 AM
cantbecivil
|
6th Gear
Default Was looking through my grandfathers stuff

Turns out the man who rocked me to sleep as a baby, taught me to play checkers and cuss was a sargent in the Army in WWII.

I just wanted to say thank you to ever man or woman who's suited and booted and put their butt on the line for this, (sometimes ungrateful), Nation.

You are all in my nightly prayers

CBC

Old 12-03-2007 | 11:57 AM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Was looking through my grandfathers stuff

It sounds like your Grandfather passed away? If so, my condolences. It's strange that it was never talked about. Maybe he had painful memories and didn't want to re-visit that time in his life. Or maybe he just didn't want to'burden' others with his stories.

Old 12-03-2007 | 12:17 PM
cantbecivil
|
6th Gear

He passed several years ago, my grandmother recently passed and she kept his uniform, boots, general kit type stuff. I asked my mother about his time in WWII and she told me when she asked he said "he never talked about it."

He he did pass away he did give me his Zippo lighter that he bought when he got back states side. I still have it, 20 years later.

Old 12-06-2007 | 05:44 PM
Deluxe07
Cruiser

My Uncle was in WWII, fought in Germany, and still has nightmares according to my Aunt. We don't ask him about it.

Good advice for anyone who knows a Vet......never ask......could bring up memories that havetaken decades to bury. If they want to talk about it they will on their own.

Keep these guys in your prayers.

Old 01-13-2008 | 05:53 PM
Pric8779
Cruiser

I have seen some with current memories that they are tying to bury respond very well to questions/stories from those with like experiences. My dad is a retired Marine w/ much combat time that spoke with me more openly after I returned from Gulf 1 and even more after OIF. It can take a load off to have a good "been there done that" ear to talk to. JMHO

Old 01-21-2008 | 12:28 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior

I found that veterans from WWII and Korea really don't like to bring up those memories. My father served with the Canadian contingent in Korea and I never found out until a few years ago when we were deep into the whiskey and he started talking about it to me. It did explain a lot of things that never made sense to me before.

It was an experience to watch him handle a rifle though. I still remember him picking off a running coyote with a British Enfield .303 with open sights at over 650 yards....