Sportster S Sportster S Only

Jump start

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 09:52 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,771 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
I have seen it before, so just confirming.

Might want to bite the bullet and just r/r the battery to add a direct charge cord to it. It's a pain, but you only need to do it once.
​​​​​​If it keeps happening, some kind of note. Seriously.

Try to make a habit of turning it all off at once if you can..I turn my ignition off, not kill switch so lights go off. But I did this a weeks ago. 3 times in my life, one I had to jump with jump pack.

Some jump packs don't like dead batteries. Some have button. Some don't care. I have also cranked on 10 year old battery that has not run in years.

Old 07-16-2024, 10:26 AM
wlwoodruff
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
​​​​​​If it keeps happening, some kind of note. Seriously.

Try to make a habit of turning it all off at once if you can..I turn my ignition off, not kill switch so lights go off. But I did this a weeks ago. 3 times in my life, one I had to jump with jump pack.

Some jump packs don't like dead batteries. Some have button. Some don't care. I have also cranked on 10 year old battery that has not run in years.
Nah, this was just an oversight. I wasn't riding, I just went out to change a setting on the bike. So, I set it to "run" so that I could get into the settings and make the change; after I made the change, I forgot to reset the switch to "off." After a ride, you have to turn the engine off with the switch.

Old 07-16-2024, 10:45 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I can see how that would happen. Move on with your life.

Old 07-16-2024, 11:02 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,764 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by wlwoodruff
There is no key, just the key fob that stays in your pocket. If the bike reads the key fob, you can turn it on by moving the run/stop switch to the "run" position. There is a separate starter button you press to start the engine. You stop the engine by moving the switch back to the "stop" position.
The lights come on when you move the start/run switch to the "run" position. The go off when the switch is move to the "off" position. There is no separate switch for the lights.
I see this note in the owner's manual.

Does that mean the lights and instruments turn off after 15 minutes of inactivity? If so, it seems like a safeguard to prevent battery drain if the switch is inadvertently left in the RUN position. Leaving the lights on for 15 minutes shouldn't drain a healthy battery. I would concentrate on replacing the battery instead of focusing on jumpstarting.

Old 07-16-2024, 11:17 AM
wlwoodruff
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
I see this note in the owner's manual.

Does that mean the lights and instruments turn off after 15 minutes of inactivity? If so, it seems like a safeguard to prevent battery drain if the switch is inadvertently left in the RUN position. Leaving the lights on for 15 minutes shouldn't drain a healthy battery. I would concentrate on replacing the battery instead of focusing on jumpstarting.
All of that is very interesting, but right now, job number one is getting the bike started.

The following users liked this post:
Rounders (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 12:31 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Agree get the bike run.

After this, mKe sure lights off. And if starts in a day or 2 you are probably fine.

If bored you can test that lights turn off in 15 minutes.

Now if they did turn off in 15 minutes, and it still didn't start, it could mean bad battery. I would be careful where I turned the bike off, until you know.